Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

My first Super-Takumars :)

I think I got really lucky at the local general auction today, I've just come home with a Spotmatic complete with 35mm f/3.5, 50mm f/1.4 and 135mm f/3.5 lenses, all in good order and with matching original caps for under £40
I'm particularly excited about the 50mm because, from what I've read in the reviews, it's one of the early 8-element versions!

So ... is there anything I need to be aware of with these older lenses or do I just go out and marvel at the quality
I'll be using them on my APS-C DSLR's, so possibly not getting full benefit from them ... maybe the excuse I've been looking for to find a s/h K1

11-27-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
So ... is there anything I need to be aware of with these older lenses...
They put out subliminal messages of that may lead to addiction...just thought you should know.

Steve

(...foil hats are not an effective defense...)
11-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They put out subliminal messages of that may lead to addiction...just thought you should know.
Steve
I already have the addiction (100+ and counting !) ... just no Takumars until now!
11-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think I got really lucky at the local general auction today, I've just come home with a Spotmatic complete with 35mm f/3.5, 50mm f/1.4 and 135mm f/3.5 lenses, all in good order and with matching original caps for under £40
I'm particularly excited about the 50mm because, from what I've read in the reviews, it's one of the early 8-element versions!

So ... is there anything I need to be aware of with these older lenses or do I just go out and marvel at the quality
I'll be using them on my APS-C DSLR's, so possibly not getting full benefit from them ... maybe the excuse I've been looking for to find a s/h K1
You got a great deal! I have the 8-element 50mm and the 35mm 3.5 and they work great on apsc.

Only thing I can think of is most recommend the pentax brand M42 adapter and when installed the electrical contacts are exposed so keep that in mind in the weather. Oh and after using the fifty, good luck restraining yourself from buying more takumars.

11-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice deal!

For APS-C the 50 f1.4 might benefit from a better hood (assuming it comes with one at all). The 50 1.4s in particular lose a lot of contrast in bright light which a good hood really helps.

Hope you really enjoy them!
11-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah don't be disapointed with first attempts. You have to squeeze a bit harder to get a good picture out of the old glass. But they are capable of masterpieces. It is good practise to underexpose a little to keep control of the highlights. It is these highlights that are a main source of flare and lowered contrast. So if they are at all clipped it is a massive source of the above for absolutely no gain.
11-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
You got a great deal! I have the 8-element 50mm and the 35mm 3.5 and they work great on apsc.

Only thing I can think of is most recommend the pentax brand M42 adapter and when installed the electrical contacts are exposed so keep that in mind in the weather. Oh and after using the fifty, good luck restraining yourself from buying more takumars.

Thanks for the recommendation - I already have two, the first purchased when I bought my film *ist (when they were cheap and readily available), the second as a gift in a box of "you might find something useful in here"!

---------- Post added 11-27-19 at 03:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Nice deal!

For APS-C the 50 f1.4 might benefit from a better hood (assuming it comes with one at all). The 50 1.4s in particular lose a lot of contrast in bright light which a good hood really helps.

Hope you really enjoy them!

Thanks for the suggestion. It did come with an original Pentax screw-in hood, but I'll keep an eye on it. I've got an extendable rubber hood in 49mm fitting if I need it

---------- Post added 11-27-19 at 03:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Yeah don't be disapointed with first attempts. You have to squeeze a bit harder to get a good picture out of the old glass. But they are capable of masterpieces. It is good practise to underexpose a little to keep control of the highlights. It is these highlights that are a main source of flare and lowered contrast. So if they are at all clipped it is a massive source of the above for absolutely no gain.

Thanks for this observation ... I was vaguely aware of the risk, but had not given it much thought. I will do now

11-27-2019, 09:26 PM   #8
MSL
Pentaxian

That's a great deal. You could easily pay around that for any one of those lenses, and often a lot more for an 8-element 50.

Try the 35/3.5 on any scene with a lot of color. I find I need to do almost no post-processing on the images it produces.
11-28-2019, 03:52 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats - that is a good deal.

Next post should be pictures in the Lens Fetish Club 😁
11-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Try the 35/3.5 on any scene with a lot of color. I find I need to do almost no post-processing on the images it produces.

Sounds like the 35mm will match my *ist's perfectly ... I rarely need to post-process images from them either

---------- Post added 11-28-19 at 04:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by simple1 Quote
Next post should be pictures in the Lens Fetish Club ��

Thanks for that mention ... I'd not discovered that resource ... a whole new world to delve into !!