Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Samyang 10 mm - Infinity focus's calibrate questions

I am about to order a Samyang 10 mm online but I have read on the review page and see people talk about “calibrate the infinity focus”. I wonder if it is the same as a tutorial on this URL?

Calibrate the focus ring of the Samyang 14mm F2.8 | DSLR Astrophotography

- The tutorial is using the 14 mm lens. Can I do the same with a 10 mm lens?
- At what f-stop should I calibrate for the infinity focus?

It will be my first Samyang lenses so if you kind enough to let me know any additional information when buy and calibrate the lens, it would be highly appreciated.

-Edit-

1 more question,
What do you think about the built quality of the 10mm?
let's say, compare it to DA limited series you have or DFA100WR or FA50. I am trying to get a general idea from lenses I have or used have.  

Last edited by tokyoscape; 11-27-2019 at 05:15 PM.
11-27-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Any Samyang 10 user here?
11-27-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i use the samyang 10mm extensively, and have been using it for several years. The build quality is decent, but you should always check to make sure that you don't get a decentered lens. I honestly wouldn't really bother trying to adjust the focus ring for infinity focus, if you're doing daytime shooting, just use live view with focus peaking. If shooting at night, set the brightest star you see in center frame, and then adjust the lens until the star is as small as possible. Being a little off on infinity focus on a lens like the 10mm isn't going to throw everything horrifically out of whack especially for landscapes. You'll notice it more during astrophotography or for subjects closer up, at which point for the latter, you won't be using infinity focus. The sweet spot for lens sharpness is around the f/5.6 mark, but it's a fairly sharp lens all around. There is one thing of note to mention however, and that's "mustache deformation". You can look that up in the forums here fairly easily. One of the staff members here at PF made an in-depth review of the lens, which is a very good read.
11-27-2019, 10:21 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to go out of the box for me. Nice sharp, heavy, well-ish built manual lens.

11-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #5

I have the 10 mm, Rokinon actually,

I pulled back the focus rubber ring and there are the three screws mentioned.

However there seems to be a thin plastic film under the rubber ring. So to access the screws you would have to poke a hole in the plastic. The same film is not visible on the website you posted so I wonder whether the author removed it without mentioning or that there isn't any on the 14 mm lens.

My guess is that this film is a dust sealant.

I have not done this myself and doubt that I will bother with it.

And just a minor detail. Samyang lenses are branded under many different names. Samyang, Rokinon and Bower.

I do not believe that the there are any Samyang 10mm for pentax, only Rokinon. Just something you might want to keep in mind if you do not find any Samyang Lenses for pentax.
11-28-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you alot for all the answers and recommendations. You guys are very helpful as always.
Now I am torn between DA12-24 and Samyang 10. I like prime, I don’t mind manual focuses but the more I read about Samyang / Rokinon, the more I feel like I have to gamble with this maker. I will make a decision this weekend.
QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
I do not believe that there are any Samyang 10mm for Pentax, only Rokinon. Just something you might want to keep in mind if you do not find any Samyang Lenses for Pentax.
Thank you for the head-up. It looks like I have to ask the seller. Seller on Amazon Japan says that it is Samyang 10 for Pentax! They might put a wrong information on Amazon.
11-28-2019, 11:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
I have the 10 mm, Rokinon actually,

I pulled back the focus rubber ring and there are the three screws mentioned.

However there seems to be a thin plastic film under the rubber ring. So to access the screws you would have to poke a hole in the plastic. The same film is not visible on the website you posted so I wonder whether the author removed it without mentioning or that there isn't any on the 14 mm lens.

My guess is that this film is a dust sealant.

I have not done this myself and doubt that I will bother with it.

And just a minor detail. Samyang lenses are branded under many different names. Samyang, Rokinon and Bower.

I do not believe that the there are any Samyang 10mm for pentax, only Rokinon. Just something you might want to keep in mind if you do not find any Samyang Lenses for pentax.
I have the actual Samyang 10mm, not rokinon or bower, so it is available in K mount under samyang branding. Bought mine from B&H Photo Video around 2015-ish.

11-29-2019, 01:39 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
I have the actual Samyang 10mm, not rokinon or bower, so it is available in K mount under samyang branding. Bought mine from B&H Photo Video around 2015-ish.
I stand corrected.

And to add one point to OP.

If it is general landscape you are interested in rather than just night/astro photography you should know that there is no formal way to put a filter in front of the 10mm lens. Samyang makes a filter holder for the 14mm but not for the 10mm (unless they starting producing one in the last 12 months).