Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2019, 10:25 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
For me... the 24-70 and 50 are get the job done lenses.... the 31, 43 and 77 are enjoying life lenses.
^ THIS!!

I have both, and have no intention of parting with either. Each is magnificent for their specific use cases.

I rarely pack them both in the same bag though. When I'm in Serious Mode, the fat fifty usually travels with the FA* 24/2.0, Sigma 35/1.4 Art and FA* 85/1.4, or the Holy Trinity zooms. The Three Amigos/Princesses nearly always travel together.

11-30-2019, 01:16 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
For me... the 24-70 and 50 are get the job done lenses.... the 31, 43 and 77 are enjoying life lenses.
I like this...

It is true that I find the 24-70 bulky and heavy. Add a AF 540 FGZ flash to the combo and my left wrist hurts just after composing a couple of shots handheld.

I really like the looks and size of the 77 (and ďon paperĒ it seems to be a great performer) but thereís one thing I overlooked and some replies to this thread reminded me of: WR sealing. Iíve gotten so used to the K1 and 24-70 combination (and K5 before that) that I completely forgot about non WR. Since I donít carry a bag it is not unusual for my camera to take rain or dust. Not having to worry about it too much is a nice thing that Iíve gotten used to and will have to consider. That said, if WR comes at 910 grams... not sure if that lens will see enough rain anyway as it may sit at home most of the time.

About buying both... one member is correct in saying I will probably keep them both (and one will sit at home).

I need to factor in the WR, but the idea of 31, 43 and 77 does sound appealing. Maybe I should sell my 24-70?
11-30-2019, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Buy a 2nd hand 43 .... they are cheap.... and spend a month with just that lens on your camera.... it may be quite liberating for you.....
11-30-2019, 03:52 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own the FA 77 and have not purchased the DFA *50 as the DA *55 works well enough for my purposes on full frame. If you want a little wider lens with sealing and don't mind slow-ish auto focus the 55 might be an option.

I will say that I am looking forward to the DFA *85. The purple fringing is just not always fixable on the FA 77 without leaving gray lines highlighting the subject. But the out of focus rendering is pretty amazing and the lens itself has wonderful construction.

11-30-2019, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given that there 24-70 is too big... I'd eliminate the Dfa 50 1.4.

I'd also seriously consider the 28-105 based on other people's photos and comments. It is modern, weather sealed, and has a great reputation.

Alternatives to consider to the 28-105, 77 and 24-70:

Primes like the DFA 50 F2.8, just as fast optically as your 24-70, and sharp as a tack.
DFA 100 any version - a bit longer perhaps but still light and capable.
Fa 43/fa 50 etc super light and "normal" perspective.

Zooms like the Fa 28-80 very light, moderately sharp, not as punchy in contrast perhaps.
Fa 24-90 a bit wider than the other options and still lighter than the 24-70.

Overall in zoom I think the dfa 28-105 seems the best option.

In a prime it really depends on your style. A pair of lenses like an fa 28 and a DFA 50 macro is a pretty nice alternative to the heavy 24-70, but still isn't as optimal as the 28-105 I think.
11-30-2019, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

be very careful about buying any of the limited Pentax lenses

the 3 FA

the 4 SMC DA

the DA zoom 20-40

the 4 HD DA

it is very hard to stop after buying the first limited

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 23 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
. . . DFA 100 any version - a bit longer perhaps but still light and capable. . . .

In a prime it really depends on your style. . . . .
the different versions of the 100mm F2.8 macros can be found at different price points for the F, FA, D FA (not WR ) and the newest D FA WR and are good short telephoto lenses

all share the same optics

all are sharp

all give you 1:! macro if you want it

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-30-2019 at 06:32 AM.
11-30-2019, 09:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I own both lenses, if you dont like the size of the 24-70, then you will dislike the DFA*50 as they have pretty much the same lenght and weight, the 77mm is very light and short

Both are very nice lenses, but i prefer the DFA*50 focusing speed, sharpness... pretty much that lens is soldered on my K1 on pair on image quality to the DFA*70-200

I have been considering on selling the 77mm but works very nice on my olympus doubling as a 154mm f1.8
11-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I have been considering on selling the 77mm but works very nice on my olympus doubling as a 154mm f1.8
When it comes to depth of field it is more like a 154mm f/3.5 but I guess you knew that.

11-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could always RENT each lens to get a feel for them without having to outlay a boatload of money.
11-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by miguelfenoglio Quote
Without intention to fire up a debate, I'm wondering what other forum members (specially those more experienced who might have been able to try both) would pick if you had to decide between HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW or SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited? Let's leave price aside for a moment.

I currently have a few SMC M which I use on the K-1 from time to time, but my main lens on it is the HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR. I find it a bit too big and heavy to carry around all day, so when I started looking at the 50mm (which seems amazing, not going to argue) the weight made me think I might not get it out as much. So, looking for alternatives I "stumbled" upon the 77mm. I'm trying to find a local dealer that carries Pentax lenses so I can go look at it and get a real feel for the size and weight, but at 123 gr. heavier than the 24-70mm I fear I might find it too heavy. It is worth noting I don't carry a bag or backpack with me, usually just the body (K-1) with the one lens I picked for the day.

Thougthts? I know they are different focal lengths (I'm OK with both), but are they comparable in terms of image rendition, sharpness, etc.? Note that while I also own some Pentax film cameras, I do not really mean for this new prime to go on those, so that's not really a problem when looking at the FA* 50mm f1.4.

It'd be great if you are able to clarify if you actually tried both lenses or not when you give your thoughts!

Thanks!
You could also consider the DFA 50mm Macro, it's very compact and a pretty good lens if you're okay with the older autofocus function.

The DFA 50 f1.4 is heavy and dense, it's definitely not an alternative to the 24-70 if weight is an issue.

The 28-105 is nearly as good the 24-70, if you don't intend to use it for shooting something like low-light events where you need the faster aperture, you don't mind variable aperture, and you don't want to try to shoot portraits with bokeh (because the bokeh on the 28-105 is fairly busy, e.g. when foliage is in the background), and you don't often shoot wide (i.e 24mm) because you'd be losing that.
11-30-2019, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

you will love care free walks with a 43
I just returned from visiting Quebec city's Christmas village (a kind of outdoors fair with artisans and the like) with my two young kids and my wife, using only the K-1 II and FA43. Some people with mirrorless cameras had a larger setup than I did.
12-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions. I was at an event today and, while the camera is still big and heavy (add the flash) it was not too bad. This was about 4 hours and it didnít involve walking around.

In any case, after hearing your suggestions I think Iím going to keep the 24-70 for longer, so that I can run a stat on what focal lengths I tend to shoot more (I must admit I donít know). That way it should be easier to see what set of primes I should get.

In the meantime, and as not to get bored, I decided to give the D-FA 100mm 2.8 Macro WR a try, as thatís a focal length my zoom doesnít cover and Iíve read (and seen) some very nice things about it.

Limited and Stars will have to wait a little longer. I want to make the right choice as selling then would cause me to loose quite a bit of money. Renting them, as a member suggested is a nice idea that hasnít occurred to me, but Iím not sure Iíll be able to find them in Spain. Iíll have to check.

---------- Post added 03-12-19 at 00:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I just returned from visiting Quebec city's Christmas village (a kind of outdoors fair with artisans and the like) with my two young kids and my wife, using only the K-1 II and FA43. Some people with mirrorless cameras had a larger setup than I did.
This would be a lot easier for me if they were WR. Thatís said, I guess the moment you add the sealing you lose the form factor...
12-02-2019, 04:33 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The dfa 100 wr is often called an honorary limited due to size. construction, and image quality.
12-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #29
Pentaxian

436mm annual rainfall in Madrid..... not much....
12-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you can find a body/lens bag some come with rain covers and they take little space.