Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2019, 05:49 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by miguelfenoglio Quote
Limited and Stars will have to wait a little longer. I want to make the right choice as selling then would cause me to loose quite a bit of money.
That makes sense, and analsing your stats makes a TON of sense. To play devil's advocate, you could buy them used and lose almost no money.

QuoteOriginally posted by miguelfenoglio Quote
This would be a lot easier for me if they were WR. That’s said, I guess the moment you add the sealing you lose the form factor...
If the 43 (and 77) were WR, they would be glued to my K-1 II. Still, in many cases they can come out (it's not always raining) and the small size of the 43 works wonders then.

I also used it as my main lens when visiting Walt Disney World two years ago.

12-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #32
Pentaxian

The 77mm is one of the most amazing lenses I have ever used. The 50mm is a modern lens with amazing quality rendering. It also has the Pentax magic...but the 77mm has even more of the magic. So in typical Pentax Forum member fashion...I recommend both
12-03-2019, 11:26 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I'm not sure that analysing your most used FL is the key...... Mmm.... if I wanted to be a better version of myself..... would I choose to be the person "that I have been most in the past".... and be more of that?
12-04-2019, 12:11 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the FA31, FA43, D FA*50 and FA77, and no intention of parting with any of them. If you’re intent on moving to prime (unifocal) lenses, rather than your D FA24-70, then the three FA Limiteds may be the answer, provided you don’t need the WR or the quiet AF of the others.

Personally, I’ve found the D FA*50/1.4 to be very versatile, as well as a great imaging tool. To those who have suggested you can crop the 50’s images to match the 77’s FL, I’d add that you can also stitch multiple shots to match the 43’s and 31’s FLs, which I’ve done on quite a number of occasions..

12-04-2019, 06:23 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'm not sure that analysing your most used FL is the key...... Mmm.... if I wanted to be a better version of myself..... would I choose to be the person "that I have been most in the past".... and be more of that?
I see the logic here, but one cuold argue that getting a better tool to work in the conditions you're often facing will have a great impact on your photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
If you’re intent on moving to prime (unifocal) lenses, rather than your D FA24-70, then the three FA Limiteds may be the answer, provided you don’t need the WR or the quiet AF of the others.
The only missing element becomes the wide end. A nice DFA 24mm Limited would be a fantastic addition to the K-mount lineup. Or even better a 20!
12-06-2019, 12:26 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The only missing element becomes the wide end. A nice DFA 24mm Limited would be a fantastic addition to the K-mount lineup. Or even better a 20!
Indeed. With the 24, of course, the 31 becomes somewhat redundant. Iím one of the fortunate ones with both an FA*24/2 and an FA20/2.8.

Maybe, though, I should consider selling one or the other in anticipation of the wide on the lens roadmap.
12-06-2019, 04:12 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I think the point is that people connect with certain focal lengths better and use them more. I own a DA 40, but never connected with the focal length, either on APS-C or full frame. I don't use it much, even though it is a nice lens. It certainly wouldn't make much sense for me to go out and buy an FA 43.

Traditionally, portraiture is done at 85mm on full frame. But some people prefer something a little longer, like 135mm, and others something a little shorter. Knowing your style and how you shoot already could point you in one direction or the other.
12-06-2019, 05:45 AM   #38
Pentaxian

ndeed. With the 24, of course, the 31 becomes somewhat redundant. I’m one of the fortunate ones with both an FA*24/2 and an FA20/2.8.

Maybe, though, I should consider selling one or the other in anticipation of the wide on the lens roadmap.
That's a rare match indeed! How do you feel they compare?

The FA24 has often called to me, some people seem to love it, some people not so much. Everyone seems to love the FA20, but I sometimes wonder if expectations are maybe different because one is a STAR lens and the other isn't.

I must say the convenience of the short zoom of the FA20-35 is certainly useful. I can live easily with F4. The colours seem to lack a bit of the punch delivered by the DA21, and starbursts, while quite good, are also not in the same league as the 21 or 43.

12-06-2019, 01:03 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That's a rare match indeed! How do you feel they compare?

The FA24 has often called to me, some people seem to love it, some people not so much. Everyone seems to love the FA20, but I sometimes wonder if expectations are maybe different because one is a STAR lens and the other isn't.

I must say the convenience of the short zoom of the FA20-35 is certainly useful. I can live easily with F4. The colours seem to lack a bit of the punch delivered by the DA21, and starbursts, while quite good, are also not in the same league as the 21 or 43.
I donít know if the combination is rare or not, but the FA20 is certainly a useful lens when walking abroad, especially in Europe, where its FoV and compact form (the dinner-plate hood excluded) make it a joy to carry on the K-1, and its rendering of detail and colour is more than acceptably good, to me. Iíve almost never used it as a landscape lens, though, which on reflection is a bit remiss of me. Thank you for stimulating the thought Ė I must break it out for my next excursion on the mountain that lies behind us.

With the FA*24, the critics and the fans are both right to a degree. It isnít as sharp as most of the FA* lenses (though I only have the two zooms to judge that by) but I find its colour rendering and micro-contrast pleasing enough to justify the premium on its FL equivalents in the non-star group, and itís nicely balanced on the K-1.

Some people donít care much about build aesthetics and ergonomics, but I find the nicer-handling (even nicer-looking) lenses add to the photographerís pleasurable experience so much so that you want to use them. The FA*24 falls into that category Ė the FA20 less so, in my view, but itís still nice to use.
12-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the point is that people connect with certain focal lengths better and use them more. I own a DA 40, but never connected with the focal length, either on APS-C or full frame. I don't use it much, even though it is a nice lens. It certainly wouldn't make much sense for me to go out and buy an FA 43.

Traditionally, portraiture is done at 85mm on full frame. But some people prefer something a little longer, like 135mm, and others something a little shorter. Knowing your style and how you shoot already could point you in one direction or the other.
Yes... that is all ordered and logical and good advice for sure.

These days, on matters like this, I like to go more to the emotional side rather then the logical side when discussing things (if taking photos for one's sole.... if taking them for others, well then the logical side rules... mostly)..... so I'll mostly post from this perspective. FWIW.... I didn't connect with my DA HD 40.... but love my 43... so there is other stuff going on there for me.
12-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Indeed. With the 24, of course, the 31 becomes somewhat redundant. Iím one of the fortunate ones with both an FA*24/2 and an FA20/2.8.

Depends on what one is looking for. A wide angle to get the wide angle, or consistent quality across the frame. The FA 31mm f/1.8 remains one of the best wide angle fast lenses for FF use. Not as wide as some, but still a wide angle lens, and having excellent rendering properties and exceptionally fine performance edge-to-edge.

All that in a relatively compact but superbly-built body.
12-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Depends on what one is looking for. A wide angle to get the wide angle, or consistent quality across the frame. The FA 31mm f/1.8 remains one of the best wide angle fast lenses for FF use. Not as wide as some, but still a wide angle lens, and having excellent rendering properties and exceptionally fine performance edge-to-edge.

All that in a relatively compact but superbly-built body.
True, that. However, cropping the 24 to provide the same FoV as the 31 would remove some of the problematic corner lack-of-sharpness at some apertures. Mind you, Iíve never even begun to think about selling the 31 (along with most of my lens collection, I should clarify).
12-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
True, that. However, cropping the 24 to provide the same FoV as the 31 would remove some of the problematic corner lack-of-sharpness at some apertures. Mind you, Iíve never even begun to think about selling the 31 (along with most of my lens collection, I should clarify).
My dad always liked 28 more than 24 in Primes. The 31 is like a superb 28 that masquerades as a 35 when desired.
12-07-2019, 03:32 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My dad always liked 28 more than 24 in Primes. The 31 is like a superb 28 that masquerades as a 35 when desired.
I recall, after using a 28 Takumar for a number of years, buying a K-mount Pentax 24, and being struck by how much more useful I found that focal length. I never really took to the 35 FL, but paradoxically the 31 just seems to fit neatly with my vision. Odd, isnít it?
12-09-2019, 06:52 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Thank you for stimulating the thought
A pleasure

I don’t know if the combination is rare or not, but the FA20 is certainly a useful lens when walking abroad, especially in Europe, where its FoV and compact form (the dinner-plate hood excluded) make it a joy to carry on the K-1, and its rendering of detail and colour is more than acceptably good, to me.
Does it *require* the hood? With my most compact lenses (such as the FA43) I did the size more than any eventual benefit of the hood, so I don't use it.

With the FA*24, the critics and the fans are both right to a degree. It isn’t as sharp as most of the FA* lenses (though I only have the two zooms to judge that by) but I find its colour rendering and micro-contrast pleasing enough to justify the premium on its FL equivalents in the non-star group, and it’s nicely balanced on the K-1.
Fair evaluation. I take it it's sharper and with better colours than the FA20?

Some people don’t care much about build aesthetics and ergonomics, but I find the nicer-handling (even nicer-looking) lenses add to the photographer’s pleasurable experience so much so that you want to use them. The FA*24 falls into that category – the FA20 less so, in my view, but it’s still nice to use.
I do enjoy a beautiful lens. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I never warmed fully to the FA20-35, its build quality, while light, is not up there with most of my other lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The 31 is like a superb 28 that masquerades as a 35 when desired
Nice way to put it. That being said, I'm among those who never "fit" with the 31-35mm FL.