Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2019, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
buy them both, test each for a month in the Single In Challenge, sell the one you don't like...
I couldn't do that as I would end up Keeping both.

I do have the 77mm and it has become a go to lens. I have 5 or more 50mm lenses up to the FA model which is a good lens on the K1 as well. I would recommend the 77mm just because I like it.

12-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a point to reinforce on focal length analysis. If I had done that before I bought the da15, I never would have known that I was interested in that wide of a view. It isn't as simple as even seeing a trend of "as wide as I had" because the new lens brought flare results if never seen. Additionally the close focus opened new doors.
12-09-2019, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #48
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by James also Quote
I couldn't do that as I would end up Keeping both.
not sure where the problem is there.....
12-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Does it *require* the hood? With my most compact lenses (such as the FA43) I did the size more than any eventual benefit of the hood, so I don't use it.
I rarely use the hood, so for me the answer is “no”. It’s just too cumbersome to carry separately and attach when you need it, and too big to keep on the lens in anything other than a large bag.

Fair evaluation. I take it it's sharper and with better colours than the FA20?
Good question. Subjectively, I’d say the colours are better on the 24. There’s a big gap in FoV between the two FLs, so I could be deceiving myself if I declared the 24 to be sharper. Again, subjectively, if forced to, I’d say the 24 has better microcontrast, but the FA20 is no slouch, notwithstanding. It’s second-hand pricing is a reflection of its optical quality, of course, not just its comparative rarity. If the FA20 had a better build, that pricing would be even higher, I suspect.

I do enjoy a beautiful lens. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I never warmed fully to the FA20-35, its build quality, while light, is not up there with most of my other lenses.
If they’d have kept the build of the A20-40 (I have one), then I’m sure you’d have warmed to it, aesthetically at least.

12-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #50
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Back to the original question ... I find the 50mm to be the most versatile prime there is for "all subject" photography. A K 50/1.4 on a KX (old school KX) was the only lens I had during my college photography diploma and it did not let me down. Today though, since I do about 85% of my shooting on wildlife subjects if I had to own only one lens it would be my F* 300/4.5. So, I too feel your photography style is important.

All that said, I have an FA 50/1.4 and have used the FA 77/1.8 and can't see you going far wrong either way.
12-10-2019, 07:20 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The D FA 50 1.4 is an impressive lens but the size may matter to some. I am still undecided.
12-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Good question. Subjectively, I’d say the colours are better on the 24. There’s a big gap in FoV between the two FLs, so I could be deceiving myself if I declared the 24 to be sharper. Again, subjectively, if forced to, I’d say the 24 has better microcontrast, but the FA20 is no slouch, notwithstanding. It’s second-hand pricing is a reflection of its optical quality, of course, not just its comparative rarity. If the FA20 had a better build, that pricing would be even higher, I suspect.
Thanks for that analysis.

It's a pity that the FA24 isn't available new anymore (or a modern replacement). I'd have liked to test it.

12-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The D FA 50 1.4 is an impressive lens but the size may matter to some. I am still undecided.
Of course, everyone will make their own decision about the D FA*50/1.4, but I’ve found the size and weight to not be as much of a burden as I suspected it might be. I carry it mounted on the K-1 using a sling strap, and the combination weight is quite comfortable for me. I wouldn’t contemplate using a neck strap, though. A friend and fellow septuagenarian carries his identical combination on a wrist strap, with no complaint. Both of us suffer from muscular-skeletal conditions, by the way – my back and his knees – but we still manage a bit of trail walking, with lots of stops for photos, thank goodness.