Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2019, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Sigma 70 and 105mm macros are both stunningly sharp...
But sadly horrible to manual focus. I bought the 70mm about 12 years ago to compliment my then newly purchased K10D.
The Sigma takes unquestionably fine photos, but I never use the lens because the feel of the focus is so unappealing.
I own several macros ranging from 35mm to 100mm and the Sigma gets the least use despite being the most contrasty and
among the sharpest.

11-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Kino Precision 105mm f2.8 macro (sold under maybe a half-dozen different brands, mine is a Ricoh) is quite good as a macro. I still prefer my Tamron Adaptall 72B as Pepperberry mentioned for general use and hand-carrying (the Kino is large and heavy which leads to an unbalanced feel on a camera).

The Pentax A series 200mm f4 Macro star lens seems extremely well respected. Me personally, I'm kind of interested in getting an M series 50mm f4 Macro for general purpose shooting in good light.

No lens I have mentioned here has autofocus.
11-30-2019, 04:00 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
I wonder What you find the best pentax macro lens
The 100 A, the 100 F, the 100 FA, THE 100 dfa and the 100 Wr

I lik the older macro lenses. With an Aperture ring for macro with extension tubes
My favorite is the 100 FA

The best macro Will be a voigtlander but very expensive
Out of My reach
I have used the A, F and the dfa wr Pentax lenses. The f, fa, DFA and DFA WR share the same optical formula and while I think the coating may differ a bit.
11-30-2019, 04:21 PM   #19
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
But sadly horrible to manual focus. I bought the 70mm about 12 years ago to compliment my then newly purchased K10D.
The Sigma takes unquestionably fine photos, but I never use the lens because the feel of the focus is so unappealing.
I own several macros ranging from 35mm to 100mm and the Sigma gets the least use despite being the most contrasty and
among the sharpest.
agreed - if I never needed to use MF, the Sigma's would be nearly perfect...

another option would be the Cosina-made 100mm f3.5 macro that was relabeled by several companies (including Pentax and Vivitar)...

it is a MF lens and only focused down to 1:2 until you add the extra diopter that came with the lens....

11-30-2019, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Sigma 70 and 105mm macros are both stunningly sharp...

Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 90mm macros are my favorite MF macros..
I have the Sigma EX DG 50mm and 70mm macros. Both are excellent. I've often thought of adding the 105 to my quivver. Someday...

---------- Post added 11-30-19 at 06:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
among the sharpest.
The weedy little manual focus rings don't bother me too much, as by the time I'm in close for my shots, I'm tending to focus by moving the camera rather than turning the ring.
11-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm still using the F 100mm, and the results look good to me, though Ive never used a more modern one
My set of lenses is rather small, yet F 100mm macro is one of two lenses with outstanding quality of OOC pictures, be it crop or full frame*. I can simply download a picture, and it does not need any tweaks or enhancements. However, similarly to ffking, I have not tried newer macro lenses.

* The other one is Sigma 4/100-300.
11-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me it would be the DFA 100mm (non-WR) version as it's the only of the options listed that I own. I'd like to replace with the WR version someday, but I'm quite happy with it as is. It replaced an older (film-era) Sigma 105mm macro that I really liked (great sharp lens), but I had issues with flare when using flash. I've never had that problem with the DFA. (Nor with a newer Sigma 50mm macro, so I'm assuming it's just better lens coatings.)

--Steve

11-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

as mentioned before by UncleVanya , the latest version of the D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR shares optical design with earlier versions:
QuoteQuote:
The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades
Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

each version, F, FA, and D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro, does have physical differences and price points as " experienced " equipment

but any including the WR are excellent macro lenses capable of 1:1 and as a good short telephoto lens as well
11-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I splurged and got a lightly used D FA 100/2.8 WR earlier this year. I didn't regret however I kind of wish I would have gone with the one with the aperture ring but then I think what camera would I actually use it on and realize that I really don't need that since I won't be using it for astro.
12-01-2019, 03:54 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for answers
12-01-2019, 04:39 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
I wonder What you find the best pentax macro lens
The 100 A, the 100 F, the 100 FA, THE 100 dfa and the 100 Wr
I am not sure about your question: Do you ask what is the best lens among those you have listed or what is our best macro lens ever?

Then the answer depends on your purpose: do you plan to shoot flowers, insects, more often at 1:4 or 1:2 or at 1:1 and beyond?

If you plan to shoot at magnifications between 1:1 and about 5:1, the choices are different.

I will answer for lenses between 1:2 and 1:1 (for enlargements up to 2:1, the Bresser/Oshiro 60mm macro F/2.8 is excellent).

I owned many macro lenses, some are interesting for their sharpness, other for the bokeh, other for the background.

Longer focal lenses deliver very creamy and seamless background but they need higher speed. I love my Sigma 180mm F/3.5 but most of time I have to use a flash with it (I love my full manual Kuangren K-X 800 macro flash). My Irix 150mm is excellent too but less when wide open.

90mm to 100mm are probably the more powerful focal lengths, not too high and not too low.
The different Tamron 90mm are all excellent (I owned a 52B, it reaches 1:2 but is interesting for the bokeh, then a 72B that was excellent but MF, now I own a 272E which is the same as the 72B except for the AF).

I think that the best macro lens is perhaps the Pentax DFA 100mm macro WR, it is wheather sealed and its working distance looks useful.

The F, FA and DFA 100mm macro share the same optics, the differences are regarding sealing and quick-shift.

Last edited by tryphon4; 12-01-2019 at 06:44 AM.
12-01-2019, 04:52 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I Dont know the bresser lens. It fit for Pentax?
The Kuangren Kx 800 is available for the Kp?
12-01-2019, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

The original 60mm F/2.8 2:1 macro lens is made and sold by Venus-Laowa.
However, there are copies of this lens with almost the same shape, they share the same optics and are sold under other brands: Oshiro or Bresser.

According to Laowa, the Oshiro's and Bresser's 60mm are copies, but I have no proof of that. The price is lower for the (potential) copies so I bought a copy (mine has no brand at all but the shape is the same than the Bresser).

Here is the Laowa:

Here is my "copy":

The common characteristics of Laowa, Oshiro and Bresser are:
- No "A" position on the aperture ring: If you set an aperture of F/16, you will compose your photo and focus at F/16, not wide open (and it may be difficult if you have no pilot lamp).
- 14 blades aperture
- same weight, height, diameter: about 500g, 70x95 mm
- same optics (9 elements, 7 groups)
-same minimum focusing distance: 18cm

This is the Venus-Laowa user review section: Venus Optics Laowa 60mm F2.8 2:1 Ultra Macro Lens Reviews - Venus Laowa Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

The Kuangren Kx 800 flash is compatible with any Pentax camera. It is fully manual: you separately adjust the power of the two heads.

It contains a led pilot lamp (with variable power), this pilot lamp is hugely useful when you close the aperture at F/8 and beyond.

Last edited by tryphon4; 12-01-2019 at 07:49 AM.
12-01-2019, 07:58 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tryphon4 Quote
I am not sure about your question: Do you ask what is the best lens among those you have listed or what is our best macro lens ever?

Then the answer depends on your purpose: do you plan to shoot flowers, insects, more often at 1:4 or 1:2 or at 1:1 and beyond?

If you plan to shoot at magnifications between 1:1 and about 5:1, the choices are different.

I will answer for lenses between 1:2 and 1:1 (for enlargements up to 2:1, the Bresser/Oshiro 60mm macro F/2.8 is excellent).

I owned many macro lenses, some are interesting for their sharpness, other for the bokeh, other for the background.

Longer focal lenses deliver very creamy and seamless background but they need higher speed. I love my Sigma 180mm F/3.5 but most of time I have to use a flash with it (I love my full manual Kuangren K-X 800 macro flash). My Irix 150mm is excellent too but less when wide open.

90mm to 100mm are probably the more powerful focal lengths, not too high and not too low.
The different Tamron 90mm are all excellent (I owned a 52B, it reaches 1:2 but is interesting for the bokeh, then a 72B that was excellent but MF, now I own a 272E which is the same as the 72B except for the AF).

I think that the best macro lens is perhaps the Pentax DFA 100mm macro WR, it is wheather sealed and its working distance looks useful.

The F, FA and DFA 100mm macro share the same optics, the differences are regarding sealing and quick-shift.
when considering a macro lens [ capable of 1:1 or better ]

based on my research the first thing to consider is the working distance between your anticipated target and the lens

the 35mm and 50mm lenses must be closer to your target to reach 1:1 than the longer focal length lenses such as the 100mm macros

are you attempted macro " in the field " or not

what is your target - a coin or an insect ??

would an add on lens work ?

Using Raynox Adapters For Extreme Macro
12-01-2019, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

The working distance is an important characteristic from my moint of view, because insects can be very shy.

You can find below some working distances at 1:1, in centimeters:

(http://hlaville.free.fr/MMP/regle_macro.png)
As it is in French, I have to translate a point: the Vivitar 135mm Close Focus (real 135mm, reaches 1:2 alone) is here used with an extension ring set (650mm added), it is impressive but hard to use because it becomes a bazooka (see below, the last lens).

(http://hlaville.free.fr/images/150macro/_1150019.jpg)