Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2019, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax 28mm Shift Lens

Someone in the Toronto area advertised on Kijiji a Pentax 28mm Shift lens for sale in "mint" condition. So I read the reviews, contemplated, thought about the positive and negatives...and then thought...maybe. The lens was advertised for $500 CDN. We had an ice storm/snow storm today...so I offered him $450 if I came today and drove to his area...and we agreed on $475. I thought what am I getting into, considering how rare these lenses are and the price is way too low. Just picked it up a few hours ago. The lens appears to be in mint condition as advertised! No paint missing, no scratches, no fungus, no dust, and all controls work smoothly. So here is the kicker. I asked the seller how he got this rare lens. No answer. I took a photo on my K1 and he asked to see the lcd. So I asked him if he took many photos with it. He answered-"I don't have any Pentax equipment". This goes into my file folder for weird/lucky/wonderful. Now if I can find a 20-35 like this in my area!!!

12-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a score! Have fun with the shift movements, particularly coupled with your K-1’s built in 5mm sensor shift function.
12-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
He answered-"I don't have any Pentax equipment"
Those are usually the cheapest available offers for vintage lenses. Congrats on your finding.
12-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats! Sometimes you get lucky, the seller's probably happy, because he probably found it in grandpa's junk or something like that. You wonder how many of these treasures get thrown out. You're more likely to see the junk lens that someone thinks is a treasure.

12-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrat on the great find.
12-01-2019, 09:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone in the Toronto area advertised on Kijiji a Pentax 28mm Shift lens for sale in "mint" condition. So I read the reviews, contemplated, thought about the positive and negatives...and then thought...maybe. The lens was advertised for $500 CDN. We had an ice storm/snow storm today...so I offered him $450 if I came today and drove to his area...and we agreed on $475. I thought what am I getting into, considering how rare these lenses are and the price is way too low. Just picked it up a few hours ago. The lens appears to be in mint condition as advertised! No paint missing, no scratches, no fungus, no dust, and all controls work smoothly. So here is the kicker. I asked the seller how he got this rare lens. No answer. I took a photo on my K1 and he asked to see the lcd. So I asked him if he took many photos with it. He answered-"I don't have any Pentax equipment". This goes into my file folder for weird/lucky/wonderful. Now if I can find a 20-35 like this in my area!!!
What great luck! Time to buy a lottery ticket. Interested to see your images.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
12-01-2019, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Congrats! Sometimes you get lucky, the seller's probably happy, because he probably found it in grandpa's junk or something like that. You wonder how many of these treasures get thrown out. You're more likely to see the junk lens that someone thinks is a treasure.
You’d hope it wasn’t someone else’s grandpa’s...

12-01-2019, 11:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone in the Toronto area advertised on Kijiji a Pentax 28mm Shift lens for sale in "mint" condition. So I read the reviews, contemplated, thought about the positive and negatives...and then thought...maybe. The lens was advertised for $500 CDN.
Oh great deal! That's a fantastic find for you but I wouldn't expect anything like it soon even if I expand my existing Kijiji search to include the Toronto area so I can see these kinds of deals. However there could be 20 times the number of deals with 20 times the population than my area. Then I'll have to rely on friends or relatives to act on anything that comes up. Although shipping to me or a 700-800 km round trip might take the shine off the best prices.

Last edited by From1980; 12-01-2019 at 11:55 PM.
12-02-2019, 06:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Congratulations on a great catch. Sometimes you get that, people selling stuff for which they don't know the real value.
12-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #10

Very interesting! I live in Toronto, and a couple of years ago there was one of these lenses in the used display case at Downtown Camera. It was $350 CAD if I recall and in pristine looking condition. It was there for over a year and I had been keeping my eye on it, but was waiting until I had some cash saved up for the K1. Alas, the day I went to that same store to pick up the K1 body, it was gone...
So along with the K1, I picked up a new MIJ 43 Limited instead!
Still, why do I feel like it's the same lens? Glad it ended up with another Pentaxian!
12-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got that baby. Have not used it much, but it's a back pocket sort of thing just in case....
12-04-2019, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Pentax 28mm Shift Lens
It's a wee cracker of lens, an amazing ability to capture fine detail... just a joy to use on K1 FF, here's a recent one of mine.

I used extensively of FF cameras back in the day (LXs etc) just as a wide angle lens, which had extra capabilities if required.

It slows down the picture taking process, which I admit I do enjoy. It allows me the luxury of really checking what will become the final image in the viewfinder, because it requires a slight process to use, as opposed to dare I say with tongue in cheek point/click.

I still use use it to make myself disappear in and on reflective surfaces, rather than do the work in PP. I guess that's the journalist in me coming out where PP is almost forbidden, apart from a little sharpen and contrast.