Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #16

I don't get what the fungus lives on in a lens. I get that moisture is part of it, but isn't some sort of nutrient required for fungus to grow?

12-03-2019, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #17
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KSSteve Quote
I don't get what the fungus lives on in a lens. I get that moisture is part of it, but isn't some sort of nutrient required for fungus to grow?
My guess is the lens lubrication. In the old primes I have it is often worse nearer the iris. I have to say the scratch like threads in this lens don't look typical fungus to me. You must have a fancy hybrid!
12-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
My guess is the lens lubrication. In the old primes I have it is often worse nearer the iris. I have to say the scratch like threads in this lens don't look typical fungus to me. You must have a fancy hybrid!
You may be correct about the lubrication. I have noticed fungus on furniture polished with furniture oil, or places where the oil from skin is on a surface.
12-04-2019, 03:14 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the dark season, in particular, we should be grateful for anything that grows. Well, almost anything.

Seriously, images of fungus-ridden lenses reliably send a shiver down my spine. But there are knowledgeable people out there who will know what can be done in such cases and whether it's worthwhile doing it.

12-04-2019, 07:16 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
In the dark season, in particular, we should be grateful for anything that grows. Well, almost anything.

Seriously, images of fungus-ridden lenses reliably send a shiver down my spine. But there are knowledgeable people out there who will know what can be done in such cases and whether it's worthwhile doing it.
If a B-movie horror film was made for photography enthusiasts the title would be Camera Bag Invaders-The Creeping Fungus
12-04-2019, 08:29 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
If a B-movie horror film was made for photography enthusiasts the title would be Camera Bag Invaders-The Creeping Fungus

Haha. That did it for me. Some of the leading baddies likely being El Fungus, Mr Haze, Sticky Aperture, Balsam Separation, Full Immersion, Flappy Mirror, and the only marginally less despicable brothers Clyde Clutter and Lens Creep. Not to mention a sinister indigenous character named Refuses-to-power-on. But in the end, Rocket Blower will take care of them all.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 12-04-2019 at 08:36 AM.
12-04-2019, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Haha. That did it for me. Some of the leading baddies likely being El Fungus, Mr Haze, Sticky Aperture, Balsam Separation, Full Immersion, Flappy Mirror, and the only marginally less despicable brothers Clyde Clutter and Lens Creep. Not to mention a sinister indigenous character named Refuses-to-power-on. But in the end, Rocket Blower will take care of them all.
Do not leave out villains such as Electropen Engraved,( always on an uncommon, collectible) Contact Corrosion, Element Crack and Dead Meter

12-04-2019, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of the leading baddies
Do not leave out villains such as
Wasn't there a 1950s horror flick that featured Seized Screwhead, Filter Ding, and Deep Scratch?