Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anyone ever substitute a screw on the tripod collar of the Pentax A* 200 f4 macro?

The two big screws on the tripod collar run into the pentaprism over hang of the K-1. If one of them could be changed out for a smaller low profile screw the collar could be rotated for a vertical image.

The common fix is to use a short extension tube to clear the camera body. Unfortunately the Kenko Uniplus 25 vignettes. Tried enlarging the inner baffle to fix this. It didn't help. I have Pentax tubes but they don't have electrical contacts.

Winter is my time to figure out a solution.
Thanks,
barondla

12-03-2019, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First of all, I would assume the screw has a metric thread. When I worked at Lowes, they had a thread gage plate hanging up in the fastener aisle that had several SAE and metric size threaded studs (for nuts) and holes (for screws). Customers could bring fasteners in and test which size they had. If you have a Lowes or maybe Home Depot close by that might be an option. Lowes stocked a decent (not extensive) selection of metric fasteners in common sizes. The heads would probably be lower profile than what you currently have. If you have a local Fastenal store (Fastenal ? Industrial Supplies, OEM Fasteners, Safety Products & More) you could also take your screw to them for thread ID. They will probably have a wider choice than Lowes.

Maybe another PF member knows exactly what the thread specs are for these screws.
12-03-2019, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Local hardware store has a thread finder device similar to above. I'd start there.
12-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the idea gentlemen. Hadn't thought of going to Lowes, Menards, or True Value for a fitting. The Pentax has a very large thumb screw. If it could replaced with a standard screw the collar could then rotate in one direction past the prism over hang. The main knob/screw holds collar on lens and locks rotation. The one I want to replace only helps attach the tripod collar to lens. The only use for this knob is to remove tripod collar in the field. Which I never do.

Thanks,
barondla

12-03-2019, 06:12 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Thanks for the idea gentlemen. Hadn't thought of going to Lowes, Menards, or True Value for a fitting. The Pentax has a very large thumb screw. If it could replaced with a standard screw the collar could then rotate in one direction past the prism over hang. The main knob/screw holds collar on lens and locks rotation. The one I want to replace only helps attach the tripod collar to lens. The only use for this knob is to remove tripod collar in the field. Which I never do.

Thanks,
barondla
Depending on the actual store.....Ace can be The Place ! I find all kinds of goodies in my local store !
The pull out bins in the hardware section have saved me many times with camera screws , knobs , etc......
2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Sure you can. It's a standard thread 6mm screw. The depth of the thread in the collar is not that deep, so you want to make sure the screw thread is long enough to make full use of available collar depth without hitting bottom. Also, the stock screw is held captive with a circlip. Be careful removing it and don't loose it!
1 Day Ago   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BillO Quote
Sure you can. It's a standard thread 6mm screw. The depth of the thread in the collar is not that deep, so you want to make sure the screw thread is long enough to make full use of available collar depth without hitting bottom. Also, the stock screw is held captive with a circlip. Be careful removing it and don't loose it!
Excellent information. I will try this after the holidays, when there's more time.
Thanks,
barondla