Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the 10-17 and 12-24. Both have their uses but the fisheye is the most fun.

I have a side-by-side comparison of the common focal lengths, posted here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/38179-first-lens-3.html

10-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tammmzy Quote
I think the fisheye effect is just so fun but I wanted the super wide angle mostly to take some cool landscape photographs when travelling.

But then is it silly to have a 10-17mm fish eye AS WELL as a 10-20 or 10-24 wide angle? I'm sorry about my indecisiveness!
When you have the horizon in the center a landscape will look in general ok with the fisheye. You can crop some land or sky away in post processing for the rule of thirds. Every straight line crossing through the center wil not be deformed.

You can also create panorama images with a stitching program and eg a zoom at 35mm for landscapes.

Some people have 3 or more 50mm (1.4, 1.7, 2.0) lenses, so it is certainly not strange to own the 10-17 FE AND an ultra wide lens. I would say that is quite normal.

Last edited by tomtor; 10-21-2008 at 10:13 PM.
10-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #18
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
.................................. I would say that is quite normal.
Apart from the fish eye.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that.
10-24-2008, 07:23 AM   #19

Original Poster
Just wanted to thank you all for your input! I decided to keep the fish eye lens. I just love the funky things you can do with it. I might wait to see how the Tamron 10-24 is how much it costs.