Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gus, those are some great portraits; I think you've figured the lens out already.

As for "The Menace", those eyes are going to make a lot of boys cry in a few years. Did she get them from you or from her mum?

If you do go to the Dark Side and want to let go of the J9, be sure to contact Peter Zack first. I'd bet that in a few months he'll be willing to take it off your hands. I'd love to see the stuff he could produce at his wedding shoots with it.

Oh, and the lens being soft wide open is not a bad thing, as it helps portraits a lot. That said, your daughter's eyes look plenty sharp to me.

Last edited by Miserere; 10-21-2008 at 11:26 AM.
10-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #17
Igilligan

Hey Steve.... it is the Sony 3358

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...What is the Sony close-up adapter? The fly picture is pretty incredible for not being a bona fide macro lens. I have tried my Hoya close-up auxiliary set on my J-9, but with very mixed results.

Steve
It is a very nice lens, the Sony M 3358... I got it back in my fuji S6000/sony H2 days and I just picked up 49 and 55 to 58 step up adaptors (about 5 bucks each) to use it on all my 49mm and 55 mm pentax glass. It really shines with the 50-200... but I have used it a lot on the s-m-c tak 50 1.4. for some artsy macros

Here is a smc tak 50 + 3358 art shot

And the DA 50-200 + 3358

And here is one with the very good raynox 250 on the DA 50-200... it has more magnification but less DOF...

As with dedicated macro lenses, you do need to stop down then lens...
10-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #18
Damn Brit

Awesome shots Gus especially the flower.
10-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
It is a very nice lens, the Sony M 3358...
I Goggled the model number. It is a +3.3 diopter. Yikes! It is an expensive little thing though ($69 at B&H). You can't argue with the results. Very, very nice.

Steve

10-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Figmental, How are you liking the lens? What camera are you using it with?
The lens is great, I bought it supposedly brand new from an ebay seller but it was made in Oct '89, but it looks new so I'm not too worried. I've taken a few photos with it but not outside. This was taken inside at f/4, I should have taken it at f/2.8 but forgot to rotate the aperture back (a quirk I'll have to get used to).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
10-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Nice shots with that macro adapter, holy smokes.

I posted some new J-9 shots in the 'soviet lenses club' thread in honor of you, Gus,
you inspired me!

10-22-2008, 02:35 AM   #22
Forum Member

Love the shots.

Your model is adorable. Great action shot of her running!

Amazing bokeh in your shots especially the first flower shot; the bokeh is totally different than anything I've seen before.

Thanks for sharing
10-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BTW Gus...

Very nice pics, but time to dust off the sensor!

Steve

10-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Hey Tom,

I like her expression in #3 too...

I actually bought the lens from Hin, I had been waffling back and forth because I am considering heading to the dark side D90... but I had wanted this lens since I first got my
k100 and had been trying to get Hin or Jay to sell me theirs for a long time (actually begging would be a better word) So when Hin put his for sale, I initially contacted him, but was still not sure because of the D90 struggle!

I am so glad to get a chance to play with it though, even if I do head in the other direction.
You are forbidden to go to the dark side! We enjoy your pics too much for that to happen. However, if you do decide to make that fatal step, let me say right here in front of God and everybody, I'll take the lens off your hands.
10-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #25
Igilligan

Stuck sensor dust..... uuggghhhhh

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Gus, those are some great portraits; I think you've figured the lens out already.

As for "The Menace", those eyes are going to make a lot of boys cry in a few years. Did she get them from you or from her mum?

If you do go to the Dark Side and want to let go of the J9, be sure to contact Peter Zack first. I'd bet that in a few months he'll be willing to take it off your hands. I'd love to see the stuff he could produce at his wedding shoots with it.

Oh, and the lens being soft wide open is not a bad thing, as it helps portraits a lot. That said, your daughter's eyes look plenty sharp to me.
Thanks Miserere
I think it may be a while before the dark side calls (money)... but Peter will get first shot at the lens if it goes on the market... Hopefully he will have his own before that, but he has first right of refusal if I sell it... That is only fair...

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I Goggled the model number. It is a +3.3 diopter. Yikes! It is an expensive little thing though ($69 at B&H). You can't argue with the results. Very, very nice.

Steve
Steve,
Duh... 3358 = 3.3 and 58mm threads. I knew that, I dont know where I pulled that 2 diopter from.... I think I have seen it for 56.95 at B&H on one of the shopping sites.
Oh and thanks for pointing out the dust, I saw it in the one macro at F 18, so I just looked at the sensor. I can see them so I blew the stuffings out with the rocket blower..... AND I FINALLY HAVE DUST that the rocket blower does not work on. After a year and a half I am gonna have to breakdown and get a Artic Butterfly or some wet cleaners.... OH I have not been looking forward to this day... A true sensor cleaning newbie... I had hoped the rocket blower would work forever!

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
The lens is great, I bought it supposedly brand new from an ebay seller but it was made in Oct '89, but it looks new so I'm not too worried. I've taken a few photos with it but not outside. This was taken inside at f/4, I should have taken it at f/2.8 but forgot to rotate the aperture back (a quirk I'll have to get used to).
I forget to rotate it all the time... It seems when you get used to it, it will be a very nice control... I like your B&W inside shots with it. I will do some b&w inside portrait stuff soon...

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Nice shots with that macro adapter, holy smokes.

I posted some new J-9 shots in the 'soviet lenses club' thread in honor of you, Gus,
you inspired me!

Jay, I just looked at your new posts in the soviet lens thread... You really push this lens... I have a question about the berries/sky in the last shot. Do you push the satur/color in PP? In camera? The blues and reds in that shot are so good. I know the lighting is perfect for that shot, but are you doing in PP that helps even more?

QuoteOriginally posted by sweetpapa Quote
Love the shots.

Your model is adorable. Great action shot of her running!

Amazing bokeh in your shots especially the first flower shot; the bokeh is totally different than anything I've seen before.

Thanks for sharing
Thanks sweetpapa,

I love that her feet are completely off the ground...
Now I am going to tell a secret about the background on that first flower shot... There is some chicken wire back behind the flower... It caused some of that weird waviness in the Bokeh... I think I may have to carry a roll of CW with me on photoshoots... I like the look.

THANKs all for the comments...
10-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
You are forbidden to go to the dark side! We enjoy your pics too much for that to happen. However, if you do decide to make that fatal step, let me say right here in front of God and everybody, I'll take the lens off your hands.
No, I will drive to Gus's home and beg for it come back to its owner first. Gus, I take you out for coffee if you sell it back to me

You make me miss my lens, damn it! You should be proud of the pictures that you have done.

About the sensor dust: I wrote up a blog post with youtube video from a Nikon D70 users and my demo in Sensor Dust Cleaning with Ghiottos Rocket Blower

A side question on flash: how do you use the flash on the Jupiter 9 lens, what setting in Av/M/? would you attempt with flash. Are you using filled flash in some of your shots? I know that you have a Thyristor flash that you are proud using, please fill us in with the details as I am selling a Thyristor flash in Marketplace for cheap and I like to experiment on photos and I am a total novice on flash not knowing how to use a Thyristor flash on a manual metering lens.

Last edited by hinman; 10-22-2008 at 10:40 AM.
10-22-2008, 10:38 AM   #27
Igilligan

Hey Tom...

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Tom, Thank you very much for those words...

And if I do go dark... you are second on the list... Peter had originally offered to buy it from Hin, but at this time could not make the deal, so I will honor Hin and give Peter that first shot...

But right now it is kinda feeling like "you may have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands"

OOOPS.... I just read Hin's post, sounds like he may get first shot at! I love coffee. HAHA
10-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #28
Igilligan

Hi Hin

Hi Hin, thanks for the link to the cleaning vid... I have been using a variation on your style for a while... I actually us my full size tripod to get the camera at working height, and I face it down at an angle with some light shining up in the chamber. It has worked like a charm until now. I guess a year and a half of just using the rocket blower is still pretty good, (especially since we throw so many old funky ebay lenses on the cameras) Do you have any wet cleaners or brushes? I think these two specs are gonna need one of those options... so I need to research them...

As for the vivitar flash and the Jupiter... It is all manual. I bounce off the ceiling and set the camera to M. Shutterspeed to 160 and I just play with the aperture to get the best exposure. The old flash I have has three power settings... but for bounce it is usually on full and I just adjust ap...

None of the outdoor shots have any fill in this thread.... The only flash here is the one on the couch...

Here you can see how it starts off a little dark, so I make a couple of A adjusts to get it better...

And here I just pp it hotter, so I can play with it for a B&W attempt.... ps it did not work!

Like I said it is all manual, but just like with the Jup 9, the more you use the old manual flash the more you kind of know where to start to get what you want.

I hope this helps... I am sure there are others who can tell you a better way to do it... But with my old vivitar flash, it is pure trial and error, mostly error.

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
No, I will drive to Gus's home and beg for it come back to its owner first. Gus, I take you out for coffee if you sell it back to me

You make me miss my lens, damn it! You should be proud of the pictures that you have done.

About the sensor dust: I wrote up a blog post with youtube video from a Nikon D70 users and my demo in Sensor Dust Cleaning with Ghiottos Rocket Blower

A side question on flash: how do you use the flash on the Jupiter 9 lens, what setting in Av/M/? would you attempt with flash. Are you using filled flash in some of your shots? I know that you have a Thyristor flash that you are proud using, please fill us in with the details as I am selling a Thyristor flash in Marketplace for cheap and I like to experiment on photos and I am a total novice on flash not knowing how to use a Thyristor flash on a manual metering lens.
10-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Jay, I just looked at your new posts in the soviet lens thread... You really push this lens... I have a question about the berries/sky in the last shot. Do you push the satur/color in PP? In camera? The blues and reds in that shot are so good. I know the lighting is perfect for that shot, but are you doing in PP that helps even more?

Thanks! That was in-camera - jpeg on bright setting, +1 fine sharpness, and then I think I did a one-click sharpness adustment to the jpeg in picasa.

Funny, in those last portraits I prefer the darker, first one.. But that's my taste.

10-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #30
Igilligan

Jay

Thanks for the info on your settings...

And actually when I went back to grab that pic for the post I realized I really liked it better too. That is the problem sometimes with manual settings, on the lcd mine look a little darker and I forget that and boost them up. I have adjusted the lcd brightness as good as I can but I think it is just a limitation. Looking back, the original manual settings on that flash series was definately more natural looking.