Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2008, 05:37 AM   #1

? for Mike Cash or anyone else regarding Takumars

I'm looking into exploring use of old vintage lenses with my K20d, and Mr. Cash, you have such a fondness for Super Takumars, I was hoping that you would be a good resource of information.

My questions are: where to start with the Taks? Are there certain lenses that you would recommend over the others? The only resource for obtaining the lenses (from what I can find) is through ebay: does anyone else have any other ideas or options?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not trying to base my entire collection on Takumars, but there are times when I really enjoy shooting with a M50mm/f2.

10-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm surely not the best one to answer questions about the Takumars because of my limited use but I can attest to the quality. The 85's are a very much sought after lens. The color rendition and sharpness are hard to beat. And you can't say enough about the build quality of any of the Takumars.
Of course the 50's are a must have if you are planning on going Takumar. I am looking to get a 55 1.8 to compliment my lonely 85 1.8. I have seen some fantastic photos produced from the 55 and the market is flooded with them so the price is right.
I think most people will say you would be happy with any of the Takumars, just depends on the FL you shoot.

As for as to where to buy I would check your local shops first. Craigslist may be another source. Ebay, I think works well. Keh's prices are a bit high but you can check BHphoto and Adorama also.
Happy shooting and good luck with the search. Hope this helps.

Oren

Last edited by OrenMc; 10-21-2008 at 02:31 PM.
10-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Any of the lower priced / more abundant lenses are excellent starting points (unless of course you luck into something more exotic at a store or yard sale...)

Any of the 50s or 55s are at the top of the heap.
The 35/3.5 is a stunner, only let down by its slow-ish max speed. It works great on a digital body.
The 28/3.5 is also excellent
I don't have these but they have excellent reps as well: the 135, the 105, the 85, the 150, the 200...

There really isn't a BAD Super Takumar...
10-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #4

Well, after getting a Super Takumar 50/1.4 I am now hunting for others as well...

10-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

dont know how much you are willing to spend right off the bat but there is a collection in the marketplace. would give you a great starting point for a tak collection should you want to go that way

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/38806-takumar-2...-1-4-more.html
10-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #6

55 1.8 is essential and very cheap.
10-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
dont know how much you are willing to spend right off the bat but there is a collection in the marketplace. would give you a great starting point for a tak collection should you want to go that way

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/38806-takumar-2...-1-4-more.html
HAHA!! Thanks for pimpin' my ad!

May have to add a few pictures taken with each of the lenses in my collection. Except for the 50mm 1.4, they're really nice collectible condition samples. The 50mm is showing some use, but a little time in a window to clear the yellowing & it'll take some superb pictures. You can be confident none of the lenses have been knocked around or abused - and original felt lined leather cases... so nice.

Nesster has hit on the more desirable focal lengths, and they're all very good performers. Many a Nikonon user has an adapter & uses Takumar glass.

If you want to source you own close to home, I'd suggest scouring Craigslist ads for an old Spotmatic camera outfit/kit. That's how I came across my Takumars. Of course there were many weeded out as unworthy or simply so fogged with fungus that they were useless.
10-22-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I love all of my Taks ... affordable ... excellent quality (build and image quality) ... fun ... what more can you ask for.

The problem I have is not having the time to get to use them ... Boooooo.

10-22-2008, 02:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Everybody has pretty well covered it, but since I was asked for by name, I feel it only courteous for me to chirp as well.

The 55/1.8 is a fine lens. One could get an impression otherwise based on the very low prices they command. The low prices are due to their having been kit lenses in their day, and hence extremely abundant. They have stunning image quality.

The 50/1.4 is, of course, legendary among Pentax lenses.

For approximating a "normal" lens with the 1.5x digital crop factor, the 35/3.5 is a great choice. The somewhat slow maximum aperture limits its use in low-light situations, but for image quality it takes a back seat to nobody. My first day of using it had me kicking myself for not having bought it sooner.

If you want to "reach out and touch someone", as the old phone company commercials used to say, then the 105/2.8 and any of the 85s are excellent. The 105/2.8 is considerably cheaper than the 85s.

For sources...I can be of no help as I get all my Takumars from Yahoo Japan Auctions. You might look at KEH.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 10-22-2008 at 03:44 AM.
10-22-2008, 05:23 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks to all that contributed! I appreciate the tips et. al.