Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2007, 05:30 AM   #1

Extension Tube Question

I shoot mostly manual lens. Do I really need top of the line ET's or will most any do as long as they are light tight. Also if I go with the more exspensive Auto tubes will they work ok with my manual lens. I did a search but didn't find much. Thanks for any help on this.

03-04-2007, 05:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I don't think you need AF tubes, as you have MF lenses. Most macro shooters I know prefer to manual focus anyway. I should think you would want tubes that transmits exposure data to the body, though. That way you retain all the cameras exposure modes. With manual tubes, you would expose the same way you do with M or K lenses.
03-04-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I asked this question a while back and got a few tips from people...

The auto extension tube (like kenko on sale from bhphoto - not expensive at all being 75 bucks) will be quite handy but it only does near focus which means it will autofocus when the subject is near the focusing length...

Most of time, we manual focus macro lenses anyway.

The cheap normal extention tubes off ebay ranging from 12 to 25 bucks are quite alright to use, producing images with little compromise in colour or resolution. But the problem does occur when view finder becomes very very dark even in a bright light environment.

I bou
03-04-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Af isn't real important for ETs. Open aperture viewing is. I have a whole set of Olympus ETs and macros that are now stop down metering and viewing. Totally useless for me running around the yard doing handheld macro of bugs with flash. Thanks Olympus. Part of the reason I have so much Pentax stuff.
thanks
barondla

03-04-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

i use a manual set that DOES have the aperture lever in them. it works just like a K or M lens. you meter wide open and hit the AE-L or green button to meter. you usually only have to do this once per subject because the light will not vary that much. it sounds like james' are completely manual and i'd stay away from them as as he stated the viewfinder gets very dim at the apertures you need to use shooting macros. my set cost me 15usd delivered from ebay.