Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2007, 06:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Help identifying what I got!

I did some equipment trading at Wings Camera in Atlanta yesterday and came away with two Pentax mount lenses that I need help identifying AND in the case of one, help figuring out how to get it to work with my K10D. The first is identified as a Takumar (Bayonet) 2.5/135mm lens. I set up in manual mode and AV and can meter and focus it with no real problems, but need to know a bit more about it.
The second is a real puzzler; it's identified as a Kiron 80-200mm/f4.5, MACRO 1:4 lens, and I cannot figure out HOW to focus and use it! The guys at the shop say they are/were a large OEM glass manufacturer in Japan and it should work in manual mode.
So, ladies and gents, please roll up your sleeves, put on your thinking caps and help me with these two lenses, please! The cost was right (FREE!), but I need to know if I have some decent lenses, or just some old paperweights.
Thanks,
Rob W

Last edited by macdaddy; 03-04-2007 at 06:54 AM.
03-04-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
roy
Inactive Account

if the 135mm has the descrip of the lens on the outside of the barrel then it's a non coated lens. i had one and it made a good paper weight. it was okay once you stopped it down to f8-11 but why have a lens rated at f2.5 when you will not accept the IQ at that. the copy that has the descrip on the front of the lens and takes a 58mm filter is a great lens. last one, yesterday, sold on ebay for around $250.
the kiron however is probably going to surprise you. they made some really nice glass.. if it doesn't focus then the focus barrel is jammed or the grease has frozen from sitting for a long time. at your on risk try to force it to turn back and forth. i have had good results doing this but.....
kirons were known for theirIQ.
kirons were also known for their grease problems. it seems it tends to liquify and leak onto the aperture blades. i have the service manual for the 28-85mm and am told that it is similar to the other zooms. i've got a 28-105 i want to clean but haven't worked up the courage yet.. PM me if you want it.
good luck.
03-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #3

I have the Takumar lens. I got mine for $1 at a swap meet. I have used it outdoors a little and also indoors at swim meets. It is ok for that. I don't have a huge collection of lenses, so this fills a void for me. It can be fun.

03-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The Kiron 80-200..you push the barrel out/pull it towards yourself to control zoom. rotate the barrel to focus.

Damn, Roy you got The Stovepipe? niceee. Yea I just got a Vivitar 28-90 (komine). it has a little bit of oil but the blades are still moving freely. Just not "snappy". I hear these lenses are a b-tch to disassemble so I'll just leave it.

03-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
Anyone with comments on the IQ of this lens. It appears to be fast (2.8) but wondering if quality make it worth to buy.
i had one for a while.. IQ was not that good at f2.8. save some $$ and get the M80-200f4.5 or the series1 70-210 or the A70-210 f4.
03-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jsundin Quote
I have the Takumar lens. I got mine for $1 at a swap meet. I have used it outdoors a little and also indoors at swim meets. It is ok for that. I don't have a huge collection of lenses, so this fills a void for me. It can be fun.

[]
is yours the 52mm or the 58mm filter size??