Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Lens Advise please

Hi

Iím after some lens advise between the Pentax 16-45mm and the Tamrom 17-50mm lenses. I am going to be buying a K20d soon and have 2 options. I can get the k20d with the 16-45mm lens for £700 or I can buy the k20d with kit lens (18-55mm) for £600, leaving me to save the £300 for the Tamron (I can only just stretch to the £700 for the 16-45mm kit so the k20d body and Tamron lens is out of the question for now.

I have searched these forums for advise on the 2 lenses and it seems that the Tamron maybe the sharper lens but the Pentax lens has better colours. Can anyone give me an opinion who has compared the 2 lenses ?.

I know the Tamron is a faster f2.8 lens but when stopped own to f4 and beyond are they very close ?.

By the way the slight difference in focal lengths isnít an issue with the decision.

So in summary any advise on the following:

1. Buy k20d with 16-45mm lens
2. Buy k20d with 18-55mm lens and save for the Tamron 17-50mm
3. Or possibly stick with the 18-55mm kit lens if this is close in quality to the 16-45mm and 17-50mm lenses and put the extra money towards a longer telephoto lens.

Having a longer Telephoto lens is not that important to me at the moment though.

Obviously buying the Pentax in the kit means I will only be paying £120 for it as opposed to the £300 for the Tamron. So it does look excellent value.

Any thoughts on the Bokeh of these 2 lenses also ?.

Any other possible lense/options I should consider ?

Thanks for the help

Jason

10-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!

I have no experience with the lenses which you mention but this forum does have a lens review section, perhaps you can find answers there:

Pentax Lens Review Database - Main Index

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - Main Index

Pentax will soon come out with an 17-70mm f/4, which could be an option as well.
10-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Hi and welcome. I've just looked at the price of the 16-45 on amazon UK and IMO, you get a better deal buying the Camera and 16-45 so it would be worth going for that just for the deal. The 16-45 is also faster overall due to the constant F4. Bokeh should be better on the 16-45 but it's quite often the faster lenses that have the best bokeh because of the shallow depth of field. Bokeh is also a matter of personal taste, ugly bokeh to some is glorious to others.
By the way, can you not get a deal with the camera, 18-55 and 50-200 (it's considered the other kit lens)? That would probably be the best value deal of all to get started with.
Another option would be to get the FA50 1.4 if you are interested in bokeh but then you are confined to one focal length. On the other hand, feet are sometimes the best zoom option.
Whatever you decide (the kit lens is the best kit lens out there) I'm sure you will be happy. I look forward to you posting some shots.
10-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Murphy2004 Quote
I have searched these forums for advise on the 2 lenses and it seems that the Tamron maybe the sharper lens but the Pentax lens has better colours. Can anyone give me an opinion who has compared the 2 lenses ?.
The Tamron seems like a great lens, but I would like to see some proof that it is sharper than a 16-45mm. You could get the kit lens or 16-45mm along with a 50mm f1.4, which would give you a faster sharper kit than the Tamron alone, for less money. Just another possiblility to consider.

10-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:

You can always adjust color. Can't make things truly sharper, though.