Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Should I get an SMC Takumar 500/4.5?

I have a chance to get one locally for $150. Seems cheap enough that I'm interest although not sure I need such a lens. I've never gotten into bird, wildlife photography in part because I don't have a good lens for it. My digital stuff is Nikon, my film stuff is Pentax. So I guess I'd get my most use of it adapting it to Nikon. It seems very unwieldy and frankly a pain to use due to it's size. Still I'm vaguely interested to check it out. My primary concern: is the price good enough that if I decide it's not for me that I'd be able to unload it easily? IS there a market for such lens? I just don't want to tie up money in something no one else wants.

Thanks.

12-09-2019, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think this is more of an oddity than really useable (at least for birding) because you have to focus then close the aperture and then take the picture (at least birds in flight will be callenging). And even if you use it wide open, so you just have to focus (or if you focus with a stopped down aperture), 3.5 kg will need a sturdy tripod or another support to rest on.
Doesn't Nikon also have a longer flange focal distance (46.50 mm as against 45.46 mm), so adapting will include another lens element to reach infinity focus (it will become an even longer lens).

edit: I have the Pentacon 300/4, it is over 1kg lighter than the SMC Takumar 500/4.5 and I still don't use it for anything other than playing around from time to time for fun, but for regular use it is just too heavy to bring anywhere except you can drive there.

Last edited by othar; 12-09-2019 at 12:58 PM.
12-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC Pentax 500 f4.5 - PentaxForums.com
12-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At $150 it sounds like it would be hard to lose money if you don't like it.

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
oesn't Nikon have a longer flange focal distance (46.50 mm as against 45.46 mm), so adapting will include another lens element to reach infinity focus
I'm not sure if the 500/4.5 focuses past infinity. It might focus past it enough that there wouldn't be a problem adapting it beyond a mechanical adapter.

12-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Yes, for $150 I think the risk is not too large, and it could be a nice little Christmas present for your good self too!
12-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. The seller says he uses it on his Canon. I'll have to research whether it would be truly useable on my Nikon. That would be a deal breaker.
12-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I say Go For It ! The price is definitely "Right".....
As far as usability ?....DEFINITELY....yes !

12-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
I have a chance to get one locally for $150. Seems cheap enough that I'm interest although not sure I need such a lens. I've never gotten into bird, wildlife photography in part because I don't have a good lens for it. My digital stuff is Nikon, my film stuff is Pentax. So I guess I'd get my most use of it adapting it to Nikon. It seems very unwieldy and frankly a pain to use due to it's size. Still I'm vaguely interested to check it out. My primary concern: is the price good enough that if I decide it's not for me that I'd be able to unload it easily? IS there a market for such lens? I just don't want to tie up money in something no one else wants.

Thanks.
Get it if you want it. Check recent sold prices on the Marketplace and ebay if there are any. Resale prices seem to be down a lot lately. Myself, I would pass because a manual focus lens at 500mm would be hard to use.
12-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you really think you'll use it on occasion, it's a good price. But if you simply aren't into long lenses or shooting of that nature, you may be wasting your money no matter what the price. What good is something if it isn't used?

Here are reviews of the SMC Takumar 500mm f/4.5, with the M42 mount (not stellar, but could be fun if you'd use it)

Takumar/Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 500mm F4.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Extreme Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
12-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I hesitated and he sold to someone else. I'm relieved because I probably would have bought something I wouldn't have used otherwise.
12-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Thanks for the input. I hesitated and he sold to someone else. I'm relieved because I probably would have bought something I wouldn't have used otherwise.
I was about to say if I saw something that cheap, I would buy first, ask later if I will use ot or not.
I just brought a K28 f3.5 because the price was too good and read review later. it turns out to have a lot of good reviews.
12-09-2019, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #12
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go for it. Yes, it is big and very heavy. It is hard to understand its rating in the reviews here because it is the same lens as the K series which is rated much better. At that price you can surely find a use for it - maybe on a semi-permanent mount for backyard birding?
12-09-2019, 06:34 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I just purchased this same lens 2 days ago, on it's way to me now. I will use it on my Pentax K-1 camera with a super strong tripod or a super strong car window mount.

This lens was originally a M42 mount. I suspect it will be easy to return it to an M42 mount. If you have trouble doing so, just message me and I'll send you my personal email. Then you can send me a few photos and I'll tell you what you need to do to make it an M42 mount again.

As to using a large manual focus lens for fast action/BIF... I specialized in doing just that for decades, taking tens of thousands of manual focus photos of birds doing everything imaginable. I can think of no better way to master manual focusing than using such a giant lens on birds and wildlife.

In time I replaced my manual focus lens with an auto-focus one. Indeed, my keeper rate did go up, but frankly, I enjoyed photography more when I had to use a manual focus lens. Just more of a challenge I guess.

Now I've come full circle... Sold my auto focus telephotos and now I'm back to shooting with a recurve bow again (I mean large manual focus telephoto lenses). My other large manual focus telephoto is an adapted Leica 350mm f/4.8 TELYT-R lens (a Mandler design). I don't shoot these 40-year old lenses for ultimate sharpness or their keeper rates; rather for their color/bokeh/character. You'll learn quickly if you prefer the look of older manual focus lenses, or the look of newer auto focus lenses. Who knows, this new giant telephoto may be the start of a whole new direction in your photography?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-09-2019 at 06:52 PM.
12-09-2019, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I have the k mount version and had I come across one for that price I would now own two.

al
12-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some people do well with dim manual focus and others don't. In the old days the only choice was to practice until you were proficient ( or give up and sell). You might get good by practicing every day for a month like I did when I was a teenager. My son had me install a split image screen which barely works a f4.5 but works for him since he doesn't spot meter.
Oh yes, I would buy the lens.