Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In Radua's defense, I recall seeing a listing on one of pentax websites (I can't find it right now) where it listed the DA 14 as 'discontinued.'

as for DA 14 vs DA*16-50, the 14 is a lot wider than the 16-50, so if you want wide angle, go for the 14. It's really a good performer. I have one, and it's my favorite lens. the close-focus distance is amazing- I was doing some studio shots the other night (sorry, I haven't loaded them onto my comp yet) with the front of the lens only 2 or 3 inches frmo the subject. You can really have some fun with it.

10-25-2008, 12:33 AM   #17
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
On your comment about the DA 14mm f/2.8 what is your basis for making this ridiculous claim?

Pentax has not made any announcement that this lens is to be discontinued. It is still listed in the current lens roadmap, Pentax Japan website and US website. And it is still widely available retail.
QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
In Radua's defense, I recall seeing a listing on one of pentax websites (I can't find it right now) where it listed the DA 14 as 'discontinued.'

as for DA 14 vs DA*16-50, the 14 is a lot wider than the 16-50, so if you want wide angle, go for the 14. It's really a good performer. I have one, and it's my favorite lens. the close-focus distance is amazing- I was doing some studio shots the other night (sorry, I haven't loaded them onto my comp yet) with the front of the lens only 2 or 3 inches frmo the subject. You can really have some fun with it.
Hi!

Creampuff I missed your post and I am sorry that you misunderstood me. I never said DA14 is a bad lens (I have no experience with it) and my source from which I saw it's a "historical product" is the Pentax site: Pentax Imaging see the last 2 lenses in the list. This won't mean it's unavailable as many other "historical" lenses are available at large but IMO it may signify that a replacement will come (I base this on the fact that the other "historical" DA lens - DA 16-45 was replaced with the DA 17-70). I speculate that DA 14 could be replaced by ether a DA* zoom or a future DA* prime being one of the first DA lenses ever produced and the only non limited or not * prime in the current line-up. And of course for some the DA15Ltd could be an alternative from the next year.
My special thanks to Clawhammer for bringing this up without his post I'd never spoted the Creampuff's one.

Regards to both,
Radu
10-25-2008, 01:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

RaduA, the
Pentax Imaging Historical Products web page is merely a listing of when the items were announced, NOT that they have been discontinued.

Clearly you've made a wrong and false assumption that the lenses listed on the page were discontinued (some might be, some might not). A simple fact checking on a couple of lenses will show that the dates listed on the web page relate to when the lenses were officially released.

To make spurious assumptions and speculations that they have been discontinued and slated for replacement is plainly without any basis whatsoever. Please, I'd suggest you try get your facts right before putting forward claims like the one you've just put forward.

Last edited by creampuff; 10-25-2008 at 01:11 AM.
10-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

That's the page I saw- thanks for the link, Radua. And no, it doesn't say discontinued, but based on the other products on the list it isn't that hard to mistakenly assume it's a list of discontinued items A simple mistake, and no need for a harsh response.

10-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

One of my favorite lenses too. I actually sold mine, but I missed it. So I actually bought another.

I don't think I have any portraits from the 16-50 when I had that, but this is from the 14mm. I was basically in the guys face about to hit him with the camera before I looked outside of the viewfinder.
10-26-2008, 05:54 AM   #21
RaduA

That's the page I saw- thanks for the link, Radua. And no, it doesn't say discontinued, but based on the other products on the list it isn't that hard to mistakenly assume it's a list of discontinued items A simple mistake, and no need for a harsh response.
No problem, Clawhammer all I wanted was to help. Anyway a lot of so called "discontinued" Pentax products are very much available across the world. Sorry for the late response but I am changing computers at the moment and I am focused on building the new one and movind the programs and data from the old.

Regards,
Radu
10-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I sympathize with you- that's what I do for a living!

[tongue-in-cheek] Make life easy- get a Mac [/tongue-in-cheek]

10-28-2008, 04:16 AM   #23
RaduA

I sympathize with you- that's what I do for a living!

[tongue-in-cheek] Make life easy- get a Mac [/tongue-in-cheek]
That makes two of us, Clawhammer ... but no Mac for me for couple of reasons. First Apple's presence here is symbolic at best, the prices are very high and there is no competition between dealers. Secondly I have a stack of software for Win and it will be to much of a hassle to switch.
I bulild my own computers for some 8-9 years now and right now I am pretty happy to see that finally some of my favorite apps are 64 bit.

Regards,
Radu
04-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old thread I know,but...

here's a vote for the 14 f2.8:

Cheers,
Cameron
04-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #25
Veteran Member

DA 14 f2.8 Close focus shot...

Yup...here's one:

With the DA 14 f2.8 @ max hyperfocal distance, at about f8 with front flower .8' from the front of the lens. This is truly a great lens, and relatively small and light compared to the Nikon and Sigma equivalents, which have this ENORMOUS curved front element the size of a softball, yielding a grossly unbalanced camera on a tripod, and with absolutely no way to use any kind of filter in front of the lens. The Pentax optical design has that element concave on an inside element, instead of convex on the outermost one, which makes perfect sense to me, but obviously is not what comes natural to most lens designers.

It definitely AIN'T light, though...

Cheers,
Cameron
04-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by avian Quote
A question for people who have used both the DA 14mm and DA* 16-50mm.

When comparing the quality of shots from the DA* 16-50mm at its widest angle to the DA 14mm, which generally comes out on top? Presuming the DA* is a good copy of course. Can it do as well with sharpness around the edges, particularly at f/4 or above? Much difference in colours and contrast between the two?

Just trying to work out which lens to get first to kick off a usable collection, I only have the kit lens at the moment. This lens will mostly be used for landscapes etc while camping/hiking, and the plan is to get a 50-135mm afterwards.

Any help appreciated!
i will be honest here
you cannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnot compare apples to oranges
you cannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnot compare a prime to a zoom
you wonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnt compare a bently with a ford pinto
Dave
04-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The DA 14 is a very specialized optic...

QuoteOriginally posted by avian Quote
A question for people who have used both the DA 14mm and DA* 16-50mm.

When comparing the quality of shots from the DA* 16-50mm at its widest angle to the DA 14mm, which generally comes out on top? Presuming the DA* is a good copy of course. Can it do as well with sharpness around the edges, particularly at f/4 or above? Much difference in colours and contrast between the two?

Just trying to work out which lens to get first to kick off a usable collection, I only have the kit lens at the moment. This lens will mostly be used for landscapes etc while camping/hiking, and the plan is to get a 50-135mm afterwards.

Any help appreciated!
that you will use rarely. The 16-50 zoom is more one that would be on your camera all the time. If you've got the 18-55II, I would stick with that, unless you really need the weather sealing capabilities, and expand your optics in both directions from there, at the long end and at the short end. If you've got the 18-55 series 1, then I'd seriously think about the DA* 16-50 or some other lens. The 16-50 is superb, high contrast and exquisite colour rendition like all * lenses have, but I think the edge goes to the DA14.

As the previous poster put, you really are comparing two VASTLY different optics.

Cheers,
Cameron
04-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
i will be honest here
you cannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnot compare a prime to a zoom
Dave
Yes, you caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. That's what the tests were developed for. A standardized, quantitative, objective method to compare sharpness, vignetting, etc. Imatest - SFR results: MTF (Sharpness) plot
04-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #29

Just found this thread, and I don't want to join the argument about primes vs. zooms. I do want to add my vote for the DA 14. It is not my most used lens, but it is the only one I have that I bought new, and I really like it. It is a little bulky, but not heavy, and is a joy to use. I have read rave reviews of the 12-24, which must be a good lens also, but I don't think that I will ever give up my DA 14.[IMG][/IMG],,http://www.pbase.com/dawsonjm/image/104620882
04-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
that you will use rarely.
Hmm. Doesn't this really depend on the user? I have the DA*16-50 and the DA14 and I use the DA14 quite considerably and possibly as much as the DA*16-50.

QuoteQuote:
The 16-50 zoom is more one that would be on your camera all the time. If you've got the 18-55II, I would stick with that, unless you really need the weather sealing capabilities, and expand your optics in both directions from there, at the long end and at the short end. If you've got the 18-55 series 1, then I'd seriously think about the DA* 16-50 or some other lens. The 16-50 is superb, high contrast and exquisite colour rendition like all * lenses have, but I think the edge goes to the DA14.

As the previous poster put, you really are comparing two VASTLY different optics.

Cheers,
Cameron