Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
By the way, the rarity of the eight element is hard to establish. They are said to be rare, but in reality they are not that rare. There are fewer of them round, but Asahi Optical Company still made 130 000 of them before they decided that it was not profitable enough. How many good ones are still out there? Your guess is as good as mine.
There are really two questions out there
1. How rare are the eight-element lenses?
2. Are photos taken with the seven-element lens as good as those taken with the eight-element lens?

As far as the first question goes, we can guess that the seven-element lens is more common these days, but we don't really know.

As far as the second - and more important - question goes, I can tell you that either lens takes fine photos. Those who built the lenses apparently thought that the eight-element provided better rendering, but we don't know exactly how they judged that. We do know that neither lens comes up to the standards of a modern lens - these are not "perfect" by modern standards - but they are very good lenses, and either one will fit in the corner of my bag just for the possibility that I may need a 50mm f/1.4 lens.

12-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Legend has it that the Asahi engineers built the eight element to show Zeiss a thing or two. Sadly it didn't last long - about three years - before the accountants realized that there was no profit in it. A lot of those lens triplets at the heart of the beast must have failed to line up after being glued together. I wonder if Zeiss got the message.

The seven element was born. The engineers did a fine job, the accountants were satisfied and it reigned, in three different guises, for more than a decade. Then the K mount was born and it was rebranded as a Pentax. This makes the eight element rare in comparison to the seven element, that much we know.

It seems ironic that Asahi quietly made the change. There is no marking on either version that indicates what it is. Only a few subtle differences that can be spotted only after some internet research (mostly on this very site). In a a roundabout way this reminds me of another classic - the VW Beetle. The original air cooled version was never badged as or officially referred to as any sort of insect.
12-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Legend has it that the Asahi engineers built the eight element to show Zeiss a thing or two. Sadly it didn't last long - about three years - before the accountants realized that there was no profit in it. A lot of those lens triplets at the heart of the beast must have failed to line up after being glued together. I wonder if Zeiss got the message.

The seven element was born. The engineers did a fine job, the accountants were satisfied and it reigned, in three different guises, for more than a decade. Then the K mount was born and it was rebranded as a Pentax. This makes the eight element rare in comparison to the seven element, that much we know.

It seems ironic that Asahi quietly made the change. There is no marking on either version that indicates what it is. Only a few subtle differences that can be spotted only after some internet research (mostly on this very site). In a a roundabout way this reminds me of another classic - the VW Beetle. The original air cooled version was never badged as or officially referred to as any sort of insect.
The one definite difference is the 'infrared mark", which must mean that optical properties of the seven-element differ noticeably from the eight-element.
12-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
When focused to infinity, my rear element definitely doesn't protrude, so I'll presume that it's definitely the 7 element version

To be clear, I don't really care if it is the 7 or 8 element version. It was more to satisfy a curiosity after having read the lens reviews for it. I was excited to get this lens, as I really liked the sample images on the 7 element page (before I even noticed the 8 element version), so there's no worries here. I've always wanted a fast 50, and this is my one!

The most disappointing part is that it's been rainy and dreary here in central Florida, so I haven't been able to take a walk with the lens yet!

12-22-2019, 09:30 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by motorhead9999 Quote
When focused to infinity, my rear element definitely doesn't protrude, so I'll presume that it's definitely the 7 element version

To be clear, I don't really care if it is the 7 or 8 element version. It was more to satisfy a curiosity after having read the lens reviews for it. I was excited to get this lens, as I really liked the sample images on the 7 element page (before I even noticed the 8 element version), so there's no worries here. I've always wanted a fast 50, and this is my one!

The most disappointing part is that it's been rainy and dreary here in central Florida, so I haven't been able to take a walk with the lens yet!
We spent something like eight days in your state last month {we spent most of the time around Fort Lauderdale, then St. Augustine}. You should be glad the state lived up to its "Sun State" reputation; I hope you have your opportunity soon; I believe you will be very happy with how scenes are rendered by this lens.
12-23-2019, 06:13 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Enjoy the lens. I have both the 7 and 8 element. They are both really good. I was thinking I would shoot with both and decide which one to keep but I can make up my mind which one to let go!
12-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #22

Original Poster
Well, we finally got a break in the clouds, and I got to walk around my mom's garden taking some photos with it. What a lens!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M3  Photo 
12-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Well, we finally got a break in the clouds, and I got to walk around my mom's garden taking some photos with it. What a lens!
There must be imperfections on the edges - you may have to zoom way in, but they are there somewhere ..... or at least explanations of modern lens designs says.

But, yes, these are nice images - I never have been a fan of pixel peeking to find defects.
12-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Nice. Love the colors.
12-24-2019, 12:03 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Apparently the 7 element lens have a better ( newer) coating.
8 element is fine for BW images, 7 element is better for colour.
12-24-2019, 07:52 AM   #26
Forum Member

My Super-Tak 50/1.4 has:

IR mark close to the left of the 4
378000 on the back of the switch
White A and red M
The rear element protrudes slightly.
Weighs 233g
Serial number beginning with 228

So it seems to have elements of both.

I think the only way to really decide is to pull it apart.
12-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BillO Quote
My Super-Tak 50/1.4 has:

White A and red M
Weighs 233g

No need for dismantling.

Just post a few pictures of it. I am sure that someone here will be able to tell you what it is.
12-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BillO Quote
My Super-Tak 50/1.4 has:

White A and red M
Weighs 233g

AOCo was quite frugal. There are many internet stories of “transition” lenses and cameras as parts inventory from prior releases was used up on the early production of their replacements. I have read discussion of such transition lenses in the ST50/1.4 series.
12-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I have one of the "rare" second generation M 28mm f/2.8 lenses. One day I might sell it and retire with the proceeds.
12-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #30
Pentaxian

By the way, the rarity of the eight element is hard to establish. They are said to be rare, but in reality they are not that rare. There are fewer of them round, but Asahi Optical Company still made 130 000 of them before they decided that it was not profitable enough. How many good ones are still out there? Your guess is as good as mine.
One thing rare about the 8 element is getting one at a low price (compared to the 7 element lens). Unless you find one bundled and/or seller doesn't know what it is.