Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I doubt that prices of any existing Pentax products would go up if Ricoh closed up the shop. The unthinkable would happen because of low demand. Why would demand go up afterwards to drive up prices?

I have an NX1 that has issues with the mechanical shutter. I got it at a rock bottom price with the 16-50/2-2.8 and 50-150/2.8 lenses. I am looking for a second body in good shape but I only see crazy prices. Will the same thing happen to Pentax? It could happen...
Samsung nx is a weird one...how many people do you know who have one, know about it, or want one? Yet one of the most positive rated mirrorless by reviewers. Ebay prices don't go down unless it is a parts camera. If you are looking for one...remember this is CDN dollars..so it is like they are giving it away for free!!!
($950)
Samsung NX1 mirrorless camera 4k video with 50-200mm | Cameras & Camcorders | Edmonton | Kijiji

Not sure what would happen to Pentax prices if there was no more supply.

12-23-2019, 08:41 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
A couple years ago, while I was shopping for Pentax, I asked the seller in case Pentax would go bust, if prices would go down. He said that prices would go up because collectors would start buying user Pentax cameras/lenses as collector items and to resell them later at a higher price. Just wondering , if Pentax would go bust, will prices go up or down?. It's an interesting question. If prices go down, it's worth waiting to enjoy buying excellent Pentax products for cheap. If prices go up, than the better strategy is to buy now.
It's an interesting thought exercise.

I say put a Pentax lens - perhaps the D FA* 50/1.4 - in a steel box and wait for the Pentax brand to go bust.

Is the D FA* 50/1.4 then worth more, or less... or both?
12-24-2019, 03:33 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It's an interesting thought exercise.

I say put a Pentax lens - perhaps the D FA* 50/1.4 - in a steel box and wait for the Pentax brand to go bust.

Is the D FA* 50/1.4 then worth more, or less... or both?
You could draw on the experience with cars. Just check the price for which a fairly luxurious car (the most likely analogy to a Pentax lens) was sold, then assume that in - say - fifty years only x% of those lenses survive (just as only x% of these cars survived) and that's how you find out that there is this unpredictability about the desirability of something after fifty years.

I'd just use the money to pay the mortgage and allow the kids to study. Seems a more sensible investment.

If you do put a lens in a steel box and wait for an unpredictable event, make sure that there is plenty of desiccant in there so there's no chance of fungus or anything.

Last edited by HoutHans; 12-24-2019 at 03:33 AM. Reason: typo corrected
12-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
A couple years ago, while I was shopping for Pentax, I asked the seller in case Pentax would go bust, if prices would go down. He said...
I wouldn’t speculate today on the basis of two year old information.

12-24-2019, 09:51 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It still shows up in Latest Threads...and 44 posts to go...
It does seem a perfectly cromulent thread to dump posts into.
12-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
You could draw on the experience with cars. Just check the price for which a fairly luxurious car (the most likely analogy to a Pentax lens) was sold, then assume that in - say - fifty years only x% of those lenses survive (just as only x% of these cars survived) and that's how you find out that there is this unpredictability about the desirability of something after fifty years.

I'd just use the money to pay the mortgage and allow the kids to study. Seems a more sensible investment.

If you do put a lens in a steel box and wait for an unpredictable event, make sure that there is plenty of desiccant in there so there's no chance of fungus or anything.
Just be sure to keep the box and packaging. Even better, do not even take it out of the box or use it. It will be worth more if it's new in box.
12-24-2019, 01:56 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The price of new DSLRs from places like B&H would go down for sure. Fewer people would want to buy into Pentax if it doesn't even exist as a company. The price of manual lenses would be about the same since they can be used on existing Pentax cameras and all the new mirrorless cameras. The new lenses would go down probably also.

12-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As one of the worst offenders when it comes to LBA, I'm going to guess that some part of you is looking for an excuse to buy more lenses.

So I'd like to enable your desires by telling you that prices are sure to go up if Pentax goes under. So best invest in all the lenses you might want right now, while the prices are still low. In fact probably best to get some spares as well. You won't regret it!
12-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
It does seem a perfectly cromulent thread to dump posts into.
I had to look that up.

cromulent - Wiktionary
12-27-2019, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I had to look that up.

cromulent - Wiktionary
The Simpsons embiggen us all.
12-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
The Simpsons embiggen us all.
That sounds unpossible, but I have to agree with you.