Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
What would you bring in your kit for an overseas trip?

I have a k1. I've recently picked up a few Pentax lenses (the Super Takumar 50 f1.4 and the Pentax k 28mm f3.5). I'm looking at picking up an 85 or 100ish as well.

I have the autofocus 15-30 f2.8. given that I like the above manual primes a lot so far, I was thinking of leaving my autofocus lens at home, and do this trip fully manual.

With that being the case, what other primes would you pick to take with you? Obviously the 28, 50 and 80-100ish lens. I'd imagine I'd want something on the wider end. I would imagine that 24 is too close to the 28 to be worth it.

I'll be going to either the UK or Germany, so lots of big churches, castles, building and countryside.
So any suggestions on something between 12 and 28?

12-23-2019, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there are a number of threads discussing what to take on trips to various parts of europe

Trying to decide what equipment to take to Europe - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

What lenses to bring for a trip to Paris and a tour through France - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Italy-France kit thoughts and the inevitable upgrade question - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

[ i found those threads by searching " london " , " paris " and " rome " ]

I am sure there are more out there

and here is an article that might be of help

QuoteQuote:
Travel Photography - Making the Most of Your Opportunity
Tips and suggestions to maximize your enjoyment and minimize stress
By babywriter in Articles and Tips on Jun 26, 2017
Travel Photography - Making the Most of Your Opportunity
So, you’ve scheduled the trip. Travel plans are set, excitement is building, and of course you want to record it with your camera for posterity. But the more you think about it, the more stressful it gets. How do I prepare? What should I bring? And how can I end up with great photos when I’m done?

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/travel-photography-maki...#ixzz68yWWdk85

it would depend, in my humble opinion, on what your " targets " may be

whether you would be allowed to use flash or must depend on other ways of taking photos inside

are you looking for " street " photography or " architecture "

you might consider one or more of the Limiteds [ FA or DA series ]

also since you are from the US, I would recommend you check out the option of trying to rent equipment instead of buying it, that might help the budget

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...ml#post4542890

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-23-2019 at 04:20 PM.
12-23-2019, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

The M series 20/4 and 100/2.8 are both highly regarded, (I own neither but both are on my wish list). I do own the Super Tak 85/1.9
and it is excellent. By all accounts, the 85/1.8 Tak is as good or even better.
12-23-2019, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know you said you want to stay manual but I think if you are going to be in a lot of buildings, churches and other dimly lit and often tight spaces, you really might want to reconsider and just take the 15-30 …

Have a great trip!

12-23-2019, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I am on apsc. I took one camera body and three primes to Cadiz. I used my 21mm in the cathedral and in the streets, my 70mm high up and my 35mm pretty much everywhere. Some people don’t hold with crop factors so I will let you apply them if you wish I came home with 500+ (100+ per day) so the lens choice worked. Occasionally you would like a long zoom, I wanted one on two occasions, but is it worth lugging heavy glass that you may not need
12-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget a spare battery.
12-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Don't forget a spare battery.
and charger

12-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
K-1 II with DFA 24-70mm
12-23-2019, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been playing with the FAJ 18-35mm for a month of single in challenge, small, light , wide, fairly cheap and usable on full frame, sort of a poor man's 15-30.
12-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
Forum Member

If you're bringing your 50mm Tak, I'd only bring other M42 lenses so you can just leave the adapter in the camera body and not have to fuss about with removing and installing the adapter for every lens change. I'd then go for a 3 lens kit of the 24mm f3.5, 50mm f1.4, and the 105mm f2.8 Taks and leave the K 28mm at home. A 3 lens kit of doubling focal lengths is my favorite for travel. As Cerebrum said, this combo can work for just about anything.

I suggest the 105mm f2.8 vs the 85mm f1.9 Tak because its quite a bit lighter but still takes brilliant pictures.
12-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
The M series 20/4 and 100/2.8 are both highly regarded,
I've had both and they are excellent. The A*85 1.4 is my favorite MF lens. That said the 15-30 does seem to be a sensible choice for your application.
12-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went to London in October, I took my KP, DA20-40, DA 15, F50, and a small tripod.. I never used the 50, so I carried just one small lens too many. I knew we would be in the city and did not want to take anything too long. There were a couple of occasions that maybe the 18-135 would have been nice, but I wanted to keep it to a minimum. I preferred fast and WR, but the 15 and 50 are very small and light.

And if you prefer manual focus, I think you will do just fine. Depending on your destination and time of year you may want to take your 15-30 so you have a weather sealed combo. I went to London in the rainy season, and there was some rain more than half of the days we were there. I would have lost a lot of photo ops without a sealed lens. If you my also be spending time in the country, maybe something longer. If you don't take the zoom, I would opt for the 24 over the 28 (unless your 28 is that much better). Beside the accessories like batteries, charger, memory cards, I also took an iPad and backed up my photos each night. Whatever you take you'll make it work. Just don't forget an essential item, or take too much. I once went on a trip where I took a tripod but forgot a QR plate.
12-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What knd of trip will this be, and what type of photographer are you? If this is a whirlwind 7 cities in 5 days ttype of trip, and you are a shoot 1000 photos while moving through crowds, shopping, grabbing a pint, and chatting with locals type, take one wide to average zoom, and mayve a compact faster prime . I would not ot botherr with a telephoto. The K-1 will allow you a lot of leeway in ISO.

On the other hand if you have a fewer places to go, and more time in each place, a wide lens , and a mdium to long zoom will suit most situations. Be aware a lot of places do not allow backpacks, so light and compact is still the way to go.
12-23-2019, 08:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
I know you said you want to stay manual but I think if you are going to be in a lot of buildings, churches and other dimly lit and often tight spaces, you really might want to reconsider and just take the 15-30 …

Have a great trip!
I agree with this
12-24-2019, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m with gerardbaron: standard zoom for travel. That way I can work fast and light, with a versatile set of focal lengths, without wasting time changing lenses in busy tourist crowds.

You’ll need a wide angle here in the UK because there’s so much really good stuff to fit in ;-)