Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #1

Tried the 60-250mm Pre-Production model

I was able to try the Pre-Production DA* 60-250mm in a Local Camera Expo, Has a good weight on it. The Lady there told me to pull out the memory card before she handed me the lens so I cant post any test shots but I was able to take pictures of the lens itself. Yes the lens Extends when you zoom it which is kinda a deal breaker for me. I had a little problem with the Auto Focus at first and it seems my K200D wont read the correct f-stop, my view finder keeps on blinking with the "F--" sign. I have to pull out the lens and re-attach it again and I also attached a photo of the new ring flash.

Attached Images

10-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

nice to provide a report ... i wanted to go but no time
any signs of the DA* 55?
10-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haha yea the Henry's Photographic and Show. Oye they moved it to Hall 5 and there was this trek across like 3 parking lots to get to the building.

I didn't spent too long at the Pentax Booth...don't recall seeing the DA*55. Missed the DA*60-250 as well. =(

I did try the DA*300..but the lady told me to put the camera and lens back on the wimberley mount and I got ticked lol. The mount was cramped and I wanted to look around freely with DA* vision. LoL.

I did manage to take this before I left. Thought yall might like it. (..in KAF2 Mount of course.) =P

SIGMA 200-500mm f2.8
10-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Haha yea the Henry's Photographic and Show. Oye they moved it to Hall 5 and there was this trek across like 3 parking lots to get to the building.

I didn't spent too long at the Pentax Booth...don't recall seeing the DA*55. Missed the DA*60-250 as well. =(

I did try the DA*300..but the lady told me to put the camera and lens back on the wimberley mount and I got ticked lol. The mount was cramped and I wanted to look around freely with DA* vision. LoL.

I did manage to take this before I left. Thought yall might like it. (..in KAF2 Mount of course.) =P

SIGMA 200-500mm f2.8
Wow, that looks more like a telescope than a camera lens. How much for the beast (though I'm already sure I won't be able to buy that)?

10-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WhiteComet Quote
Yes the lens Extends when you zoom it which is kinda a deal breaker for me
Can you elaborate on why it's a deal breaker ? I don't see what the big deal is about internal zoom or not, as long as the lens is sealed as is is supposed to be. I'm curious, because this is not the first time I've read this.
10-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

that beast i believe is 35G's USD

big tele zooms that extend can make hand holding very unbalanced. look at how far the Bigma extends, and shifts the weight balance even further outwards.
10-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

hmm you've got a point there. I've never really seen it that way before.

(Prolly cuz I use one touch zooms. The lengths don't change much.)
10-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The guys at the Pentax booth didn't have the 55mm, 15mm or (not surprisingly), have the new 30mm on display. They didn't seem to know of the new fangled aero bright coating on the 55mm either.
Having said all of the above, I think they are a great crew, friendly, courteous, and very willing to chat about anything Pentax, so I'd rate the experience with them as top notch
I did try to find out what max aperture the new 30mm will be, and whether this would be a better purchase than the 31mm also. The aperture was classified info, and the rest would probably just be speculation anyway.

I'd take any issues about the 60-250mm performance with a pintch of salt as it is a "pre-production" model, and I still have high hopes for it when properly tested.

10-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
Forum Member

What camera did you use for the pics? They all seem very blurry/out of focus.
10-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That might be because the subjects are behind glass windows
10-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #11

Original Poster
they are behind glass sorry.
10-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #12

Original Poster
Here is the side shot of the "BFG" Sigma Lens.
Attached Images

10-23-2008, 03:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Can you elaborate on why it's a deal breaker ? I don't see what the big deal is about internal zoom or not, as long as the lens is sealed as is is supposed to be. I'm curious, because this is not the first time I've read this.
Another point .... Do you believe it can be realy sealed while extending?
10-23-2008, 03:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
... The aperture was classified info...
CIA, KGB, SAS protected secret... Way to Go Pentax
10-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #15
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
Another point .... Do you believe it can be realy sealed while extending?
Well, the DA* 16-50 also extends (even in 3 segments not 2 like 60-250) and I have yet to see a complaint about the ws on that lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
CIA, KGB, SAS protected secret... Way to Go Pentax
Gkopeliadis,

I don't think is a commercial secret as much as a not finalised specification. All the previous primes (in fact almost all new lenses) went the same route with the initial announcement and more details afterwards (the last example was DA15 limited who got its f4 official apperture in the lattest roadmap. Even more than that the DA* 30 started as a "DA 35" in first refference last year (also without any specifics) and latter was transformed (or the DA 35 was droped and replaced).
So, nothing unusual I guess.

Regards,
Radu