Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2019, 02:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A135/2.8, focus ring become loose

Hello All,

just in the middle of the holidays, my 135 focus ring has become loose: it turns without effort but the lens don't move.

I'll have to find a repair shop, as soon as the world starts turning again (in this part of the world, after Jan 6th), but I'm wondering how complex is the repair.

I can just see the man say, "oh this ain't no picnic! it will take one month!", while probably it's a silly job fixed in minutes..

Do you have any experience on this kind of problems?

best wishes,

-Gian

12-29-2019, 03:32 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gian Quote
A135/2.8, focus ring become loose
This is just the excuse you need to get your own "Lady Luck” Pentax-A*135mm F1.8, without any justification to anyone.
12-29-2019, 03:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
This is just the excuse you need to get your own "Lady Luck” Pentax-A*135mm F1.8, without any justification to anyone.
Hi Kerrowdown,

you're rubbing salt in my wounds!

You know what? I had it, and it was stolen from my home, during some restoration works.

After the shock, I realized that this happened because, due to the size and weight, I seldom let it run in the fields, and it sat in the drawer for such a long time I forgot that I had such a precious lens.

So, instead of replacing it with another one, I looked for a smaller sibling, and must say it turned out a much "usable" lens, extremely sharp.

But it was a hard loss anyway..
12-29-2019, 03:51 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gian Quote
So, instead of replacing it with another one, I looked for a smaller sibling
This is what the call Karma, I believe... you now get a second chance to replace it.

12-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #5

It may be that the screws that hold the focus ring to the front helical barrel have come loose. Had someone worked on the lens previously, perhaps to re-grease the focus threads or clean the aperture blades? It shouldn't be difficult to re-align for infinity and tighten the screws if that is the case.
12-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wild guess is that there are screws hidden under the rubber focus ring grip. I can't check this theory because my lens is 1800 miles away. If you can find a thin wooden dowel or bamboo skewer or something similar, work it under the grip and roll it around to loosen the glue. Then you can slide the grip off to reveal hopefully screws. If there are just holes, rotate the ring and at some position, screw heads might appear under them.
12-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Commonly, Pentax MF lenses require you to remove the name ring, exposing three screws that hold the filter ring on. After removing the filter ring you can see the three screws that hold the focusing ring onto the focusing helix. Tighten one screw, carefully focus to infinity, loosen the screw and align the focusing ring. then tighten all of the screws. You may need to try to get infinity focus correct more than once.

12-31-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at a picture of the front of an A135/2.8. No name ring. The lenses with a sliding hood are usually different.

I peeled off the rubber grip on mine today. There's one slotted screw just above the 1.2m mark. That could be the problem; I'd see if it was loose anyway. There are three holes that line up with three very small JIS screws. I think removing those allows you to pull off the sliding hood. That's how the M135/3.5 is built. There are three more mystery holes but they are very small and don't seem to line up with visible screws. The screws might be hidden by the hood so I'd remove the hood and look again.