Understanding Bokeh

The Wikipedia article (contains more links):
Bokeh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers,

Abbazz

03-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanielBoone Quote
Thanks for the quick reply Jonas. So to clarify... is it a combination of astetics and IQ in the OOF areas? For example, excessive grainyness and a very under exposed distracting area, or does it apply to onle one or the other?
Thanks in advance!
Dan
The whole bokeh discussion is a discussion about how we, each and one of us in a personally way, either appreciate the lens carachteristica when it comes to rendering of the out of focus (OOF) areas, or not appreciate it. That's the basis here and why bokeh isn't possible to measure like resolution or contrast.

So, I would say that everything counts.

In a way this is a form of pixel peeping: if we are engaged in what we do and once got aware of the elements building a picture we can not ignore the bokeh. That is the same as with resolution. When you show your pictures to people not engaged in the technical aspects of photography you'll notice that not many can point at minute details and tell you the picture is good/bad because resolution/CA/flare/ghosting/bokeh/distorsion is good/bad. Many pictures with "flaws" in any of these areas (and other ones I forgot right now) are great pictures.

I could write a lot more about this but I think you get the important things here.

again, all this imho,
03-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Well, now that you edited your post I'm even more curious about a sample.
03-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #19

Bokeh

Thanks Abbazz and Jonas for the info... it clarified alot for me. Here is a pic from the Philadelphia Flower Show that I took yesterday. I hope this is an example of good bokeh.

Thanks once again... you were both very helpful!

Dan

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo