12-30-2019, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax & Sony 70-200 lens review & comparison

Here is a comparison of these two lens.

12-30-2019, 03:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I can not watch this kind of video more than 5 seconds. I definitely prefer to read…
I put my money on the pentax !
12-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That’s pretty dramatic focus breathing, but I don’t think I would be put off by it.

And it’s a good thing we can’t put that popping noise in forum posts...

-Eric
12-30-2019, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the 60 250 also has focus breathing. Is quite annoying. Nevertheless, shots taken with the Pentax looked much better

12-30-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting to see the differences. Thanks.
12-30-2019, 07:05 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I can't take more than a few minutes of that guy, but did make it as far as the discussion of focus breathing. There are a few things to keep in mind:
  • Focal length is determined at infinity
  • Traditional external (block) focus designs increase effective focal length to attain focus at points closer than infinity. This is done by extension with a constant angular field of view and resulting increase in magnification.
  • Internal focus designs attain focus by changing the distance between internal elements with unavoidable widening of angular field of view when compared to a block focus design with much less increase in magnification. The lens "breathes wide".
Which type delivers a "true" 200mm at 10m distance?

FWIW...the above is a very poor explanation. Better explanation --> http://www.coinimaging.com/lens_focusing.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-30-2019 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Completeness
12-30-2019, 07:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I see almost no focus breathing at the short end with the DFA* 70-200, which is where I'd normally use it if focusing close, so it's never bothered me much.

12-30-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
2B1
Forum Member

Interesting remarks about the KP v Sony.
The Sony shoots 30 images then locks, the KP 8 images and locks , However

The KP can shoot another 16 images , 2 bursts of 8 , before the Sony is ready to shoot again.
So Sony 30 images to Pentax 24.
(video@ 9mins)

---------- Post added 12-30-19 at 08:18 PM ----------

No lens is perfect, I still consider the Pentax to be the better buy.
12-30-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Apparently, this reviewer is the first person to discover focus breathing (even though I remember reading about it in the 60-250 review years ago).
12-31-2019, 08:27 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I can't take more than a few minutes of that guy, but did make it as far as the discussion of focus breathing
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
Apparently, this reviewer is the first person to discover focus breathing (even though I remember reading about it in the 60-250 review years ago).

Well, he's much younger than the average PF poster, uninhibited about appearing on YouTube, a digital native with an intuitive understanding that his idiosyncrasies and his hallmark style of presentation will help him grow his channel. He probably doesn't even have to adopt a fictional persona but basically relies on being himself, which makes him at least authentic. As for the depth of his technical expertise, that is a totally different matter, although he does seem to be willing to learn. However, he remains one of the few YouTubers who bother to do more-than-in-passing reviews of Pentax gear at all, and I'm grateful for that. And if the Pentax brand is supposed to have a future, we should perhaps be a bit more indulgent of youth's foibles. Maybe I find this a little easier because I work with children and adolescents in my day-to-day job.
12-31-2019, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Madaboutpix: I took a tour of your web site, great work, really enjoyed it.
12-31-2019, 04:00 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Well, he's much younger than the average PF poster, uninhibited about appearing on YouTube, a digital native with an intuitive understanding that his idiosyncrasies and his hallmark style of presentation will help him grow his channel. He probably doesn't even have to adopt a fictional persona but basically relies on being himself, which makes him at least authentic. As for the depth of his technical expertise, that is a totally different matter, although he does seem to be willing to learn. However, he remains one of the few YouTubers who bother to do more-than-in-passing reviews of Pentax gear at all, and I'm grateful for that. And if the Pentax brand is supposed to have a future, we should perhaps be a bit more indulgent of youth's foibles. Maybe I find this a little easier because I work with children and adolescents in my day-to-day job.
I'm happy to see he's still doing his reviews. I believe he put out a request awhile back for feedback from the community as to whether he should continue, and it looks like he got enough interest to still be at it. I like the fact he came back to take another look at this lens after feedback on his first review. I think a lot of vloggers (is that the right word? ) are more apt to dig in. If nothing else, he's good natured and honest. Sadly becoming harder to find these days, so more interested in listening to his take than others I've come across.
01-01-2020, 06:39 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Madaboutpix: I took a tour of your web site, great work, really enjoyed it.

Oh, thanks indeed for your kind words -- they mean a lot to me (just as photography means a lot to me). I'm well aware that my subjects tend to be on the less-than-spectacular side -- no rare wildlife, no epic landscapes, no vertigo-inducing mountain tops -- but my pics reflect my view of the world as I experience it as well as my appreciation of things often overlooked, and if at least some of it resonates with other human beings, over the years I seem to have found a visual language that somehow works.
01-01-2020, 07:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Interesting video.
01-03-2020, 10:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Interesting video.
If nothing else, the video has given me a new appreciation of focus breathing!