Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2020, 06:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looking for advice

Now that the New Year is here and I’ve not made any resolution regarding gear. I’m thinking about acquiring another full frame lens. Currently I have 2 crop sensor bodies and a K1 II. I currently have the focal range of 12-500 covered by full frame lenses. But do not have any WR except for the DFA 100 macro. The primary lens I use on the K1 II is the Tamron 24-135 which I am very happy with. Also for my crop bodies I have the range of 16-300 covered with WR glass.

So here is what leads to my question. I’ve been primarily shooting the K1 II since I acquired it. And have also taken a fancy to photos using fisheye lenses and would like to give it a try. I have narrowed my next purchase to 2 lenses. The F 17-28 fish eye and DFA 28-105 WR. So should I purchase the fisheye or the WR lens? And if I purchase a fisheye is the F 17-28 the right one for the job? I am really only interested in zooms and not interested in any of the F 2.8 WR lenses at this time. I’m leaning toward the fisheye and using my crop bodies and lenses when I need WR. So looking for thoughts and suggestions.

01-04-2020, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I currently have the focal range of 12-500 covered by full frame lenses
Read more at: Looking for advice - PentaxForums.com

your listed gear show nothing past 300mm

What are your " targets "

if telephoto is of interest look at the big buy

D Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

Read more at: Pentax D FA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

QuoteQuote:
The long-awaited HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW telephoto zoom made its debut in early May, 2015 as the first of an upcoming series of Pentax full frame lenses. It was originally announced at CP+ 2015 in Tokyo alongside the Pentax full frame DSLR, which is scheduled for release in late 2015.

Update as of July, 2017: read our newer review of this lens on full-frame here.

This 5-pound behemoth is packed with Pentax's latest technologies, including three focusing modes, dedicated AF buttons on the lens barrel, a silent DC focusing system, the premium HD lens coating, and a super low dispersion glass element for superior aberration control. It offers the longest focal length for a zoom in the current Pentax lens lineup, and thus fills an important gap that had previously existed beyond 250mm. Its 150-450mm zoom range also complements the existing DA* 300mm F4 and DA 560mm F5.6 primes very nicely.

D FA 150-450mm Lens w/ hood and tripod mount

Although this lens was designed with the soon-to-be-released full frame DSLR in mind, it also works wonders on current APS-C bodies such as the Pentax K-3, K-S2, and K-3 II. We of course couldn't wait half a year to start testing it, so in this preliminary in-depth review, we will be evaluating the lens solely based on its performance with the aforementioned DSLRs. It other words, we will only be working with a cropped portion of the image circle.

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
01-04-2020, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #3

Not the 10-17mm fisheye?
01-04-2020, 07:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Read more at: Looking for advice - PentaxForums.com

your listed gear show nothing past 300mm

What are your " targets "

if telephoto is of interest look at the big buy

D Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

Read more at: Pentax D FA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Hate to say it but I have around 20 lenses. Running out of space to store them. One of these days I’ll update the list. Not really interested in the DFA 150-450 or 15-30 or 24-70. I have the Sigma 50-500 and 100-300 f4 And the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 all of which are full frame. I don’t really shoot in bad weather that often. If I shoot in bad weather it is usually light rain, snow and fog

I primarily shoot landscapes

---------- Post added 01-04-20 at 07:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hypermodern Quote
Not the 10-17mm fisheye?
Looking for full frame and would prefer fisheye across the entire focal range

01-04-2020, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

both....
01-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
both....
If I didn’t set requirements I’d buy everything in sight. :-)
01-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Looking for full frame and would prefer fisheye across the entire focal range
I thought the new version did this but looking at the review on the site I see it gives those weird circular fisheye shots on FF. My mistake.

01-04-2020, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hypermodern Quote
I thought the new version did this but looking at the review on the site I see it gives those weird circular fisheye shots on FF. My mistake.
Thanks I didn’t know the new version was reviewed yet. I have to check it out. I like weird.
01-04-2020, 07:37 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

sorry about that

just because I list all of my equipment under " my profile " " about me " means everyone want to or has to do that

good luck
01-04-2020, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For FF fish-eye there are not many options. The Samyang 12mm is one. If you plan to do a lot of fish-eye photography this may be the way to go if you can find one. You could also use the Samyang 8mm but it's not FF so you'd have to shoot in crop mode. I have both of those lenses and find them to be quite satisfactory. I really like the 28-105 and it is my go to lens whenever I wish to take just one lens. However, I find that it's not quite wide enough for many of my landscape shots, in which case I take the 24-70 and a longer telephoto. Depending on how wide you like your landscape shots, the 28-105 might be the way to go. It really is a very good lens. Good luck!

Last edited by dave2k; 01-04-2020 at 08:48 AM.
01-04-2020, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't have any fisheye (FE) lenses, the F17-28 is a good choice IMHO. However finding one may prove difficult, as it tends to be kinda rare. I have both the DA 10-17, and the F17-28, both these are unique lenses for APS-c and Full Frame, as they go from fisheye to wide angle, very nicely. If your interest is really using fisheye lenses, the F17-28 is the only one I know of that is variable in length. I do have other full frame FE lenses but they are fixed focal lengths and are either fully circular fisheye (fun but not versatile), or single focal length. Reading your question it really seems like the F17-28 is what you want.
01-04-2020, 08:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
sorry about that

just because I list all of my equipment under " my profile " " about me " means everyone want to or has to do that

good luck
Thanks for telling me where it’s at. I’ll eventually get to it.

---------- Post added 01-04-20 at 09:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
For FF fish-eye there are not many options. The Samyang 12mm is one. If you plan to do a lot of fish-eye photography this may be the way to go if you can find one. You could also use the Samyang 8mm but it's not FF so you'd have to shoot in crop mode. I have both of those lenses and find them to be quite satisfactory. I really like the 28-105 and it is my go to lens whenever I wish to take just one lens. However, I find that it's not quite wide enough for many of my landscape shots, in which case I take the 24-70 and a longer telephoto. Depending on how wide you like your landscape shots, the 28-105 might be the way to go. It really is a very good lens. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply Dave. I’ve researched the fisheye a bit and found that zooms are pretty rare. Still torn between fisheye and 28-105. Though for the time being I’m leaning towards the fisheye.

---------- Post added 01-04-20 at 09:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
If you don't have any fisheye (FE) lenses, the F17-28 is a good choice IMHO. However finding one may prove difficult, as it tends to be kinda rare. I have both the DA 10-17, and the F17-28, both these are unique lenses for APS-c and Full Frame, as they go from fisheye to wide angle, very nicely. If your interest is really using fisheye lenses, the F17-28 is the only one I know of that is variable in length. I do have other full frame FE lenses but they are fixed focal lengths and are either fully circular fisheye (fun but not versatile), or single focal length. Reading your question it really seems like the F17-28 is what you want.
Thanks for the response and the info. You are correct about the 17-28 but it’s easier to find than the Full frame Sigma 12-24. What fully circular lens are you referring to? I like fun.
01-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Thanks for the response and the info. You are correct about the 17-28 but it’s easier to find than the Full frame Sigma 12-24. What fully circular lens are you referring to? I like fun.
Well, let's see, in full frame, I have the Lensbaby fisheye 5.8mm lens, fully circular, a bit hard to use but still fun

I also have a old Sigma 8mm lens, which is quite good too.

And an old Pentax K17 (mm) FE, which I have seldom found use for.

I seem to have an M42 Takumar 18mm FE, which I haven't used in 6 years...and have no full frame images of.

Well that's about it for my full frame FE's. Happy choosing.
01-04-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Well, let's see, in full frame, I have the Lensbaby fisheye 5.8mm lens, fully circular, a bit hard to use but still fun

I also have a old Sigma 8mm lens, which is quite good too.

And an old Pentax K17 (mm) FE, which I have seldom found use for.

I seem to have an M42 Takumar 18mm FE, which I haven't used in 6 years...and have no full frame images of.

Well that's about it for my full frame FE's. Happy choosing.
Thank You
01-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I think buying the fisheye and useing APS-C when you need WR makes sense, if those are your options...