Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2020, 10:18 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The cool thing about the new 10 -17 is it gives 2 looks. Circular fisheye (actually not quite circular, the top & bottom are cropped very slightly) to full frame fisheye. Zoomed up to fill the full frame sensor, it has the same field of view as the 17-28 fisheye at the at its 17 fisheye setting. It could be argued that on ff only the 10-17 stays fisheye over the whole range. The 17-28 doesn't appear like a fisheye at 28.

Keep in mind the 10-17 does fisheye on both APS-C and ff cameras. The 17-28 won't. One other point, when the original 10-17 came out Pop Photo's Herbert Keppler loved the much closer focusing vs the 17-28. This is important because a lot of FE shooting thrives on getting very close to the subject to maximize the weird perspective.

Thanks,
barondla

01-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get the fisheye. It opens up new possibilities. This was taken with a Samyang 8mm f/2.8.

01-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think buying the fisheye and useing APS-C when you need WR makes sense, if those are your options...
Thank You. That is exactly what I was thinking

---------- Post added 01-04-20 at 12:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The cool thing about the new 10 -17 is it gives 2 looks. Circular fisheye (actually not quite circular, the top & bottom are cropped very slightly) to full frame fisheye. Zoomed up to fill the full frame sensor, it has the same field of view as the 17-28 fisheye at the at its 17 fisheye setting. It could be argued that on ff only the 10-17 stays fisheye over the whole range. The 17-28 doesn't appear like a fisheye at 28.

Keep in mind the 10-17 does fisheye on both APS-C and ff cameras. The 17-28 won't. One other point, when the original 10-17 came out Pop Photo's Herbert Keppler loved the much closer focusing vs the 17-28. This is important because a lot of FE shooting thrives on getting very close to the subject to maximize the weird perspective.

Thanks,
barondla
Thank You. You have given much to think on and additional info to research. I didn’t think the 10-17 would fill the full frame sensor.

---------- Post added 01-04-20 at 12:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Get the fisheye. It opens up new possibilities. This was taken with a Samyang 8mm f/2.8.
Thank You definitely the direction I’m leaning towards.
01-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Keep in mind the 10-17 does fisheye on both APS-C and ff cameras.
barondla
One of the things that I love most about this Forum is that you learn stuff even when you're just looking around.

01-04-2020, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems to me getting the otherwise fine DFA 28-105mm would mean a lot of duplication of zoom lens FL, then you just want it for WR, while your idea of using APS-C for WR is much more sound.

The DA 10-17mm on a FF cannot provide a frame-filling FF image at its widest setting without serious vignetting, therefore is no longer frame-filling. You say you want the fisheye lens to produce images that fill the frame at all zoom settings. It would therefore not be capable of delivering as a zoom lens to much extent.

The F17-28mm fisheye zoom lens is a very good ultra-wide zoom lens for a FF body.
01-05-2020, 12:08 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Well, let's see, in full frame, I have the Lensbaby fisheye 5.8mm lens, fully circular, a bit hard to use but still fun

I also have a old Sigma 8mm lens, which is quite good too.

And an old Pentax K17 (mm) FE, which I have seldom found use for.

I seem to have an M42 Takumar 18mm FE, which I haven't used in 6 years...and have no full frame images of.

Well that's about it for my full frame FE's. Happy choosing.
I still think circular fisheye is weird.
01-05-2020, 06:56 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hypermodern Quote
I still think circular fisheye is weird.
An observation for which I would not argue at all. Yep, it's weird but fun.

01-05-2020, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
To everyone who mentioned the HD DA 10-17. Thank You very much. I didn’t know that were differences between the original and HD versions other than the coating. I wasn’t considering it until someone told me to check the in depth review. That is when I found that if you remove the lens hood you get circular images. Which in my opinion is weird it is also pretty cool at the same time.

So it seems that the HD DA 10-17 is the way to go. I can use it on my crop sensor bodies as a standard fisheye and on my K1 for circular images. Just have to wait a little longer because it’s $100 more than I budgeted.

The advantages of owning bodies with different sensor sizes.
01-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
So should I purchase the fisheye or the WR lens?
I guessing it really all depends on how often your out in the wet stuff...

01-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I guessing it really all depends on how often your out in the wet stuff...

I have WR covered on K-3 II from 16mm to 300mm. Just limited on full frame to 100mm.
01-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I have WR covered on K-3 II from 16mm to 300mm. Just limited on full frame to 100mm.
Your better off than me... as none of my “Ladies” are WR.
01-05-2020, 03:17 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To everyone who mentioned the HD DA 10-17. Thank You very much. I didn’t know that were differences between the original and HD versions other than the coating. I wasn’t considering it until someone told me to check the in depth review. That is when I found that if you remove the lens hood you get circular images. Which in my opinion is weird it is also pretty cool at the same time.

So it seems that the HD DA 10-17 is the way to go. I can use it on my crop sensor bodies as a standard fisheye and on my K1 for circular images. Just have to wait a little longer because it’s $100 more than I budgeted.

The advantages of owning bodies with different sensor sizes.
It's been interesting reading through this and seeing where you landed. I'm having a hard time keeping the HD 10-17 off my short list too. I also shoot APS-C and full frame, and this lens gains some appeal over others to move between the formats. I also have an 8mm Rokinon fisheye for crop and an SMC Takumar 17/4 for my full frame fisheye. Still want the 10-17 in the mix.
01-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
It's been interesting reading through this and seeing where you landed. I'm having a hard time keeping the HD 10-17 off my short list too. I also shoot APS-C and full frame, and this lens gains some appeal over others to move between the formats. I also have an 8mm Rokinon fisheye for crop and an SMC Takumar 17/4 for my full frame fisheye. Still want the 10-17 in the mix.
I was going to buy the HD DA10-17. But the best deal I could find was $500. Which I believe is it’s highest price. I ended up getting a F 17-28 off eBay for $170. Lens arrived yesterday.https://www.flickr.com/photos/147594123@N06/49410240557/in/dateposted-ff/
01-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was going to buy the HD DA10-17. But the best deal I could find was $500. Which I believe is it’s highest price. I ended up getting a F 17-28 off eBay for $170. Lens arrived yesterday.Taken with my new fisheye. | Stephen Krystopowicz | Flickr
Based on timing and price, I think you out bid me on that! All good - happy it went to a friend here at PF.
01-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was going to buy the HD DA10-17. But the best deal I could find was $500. Which I believe is it’s highest price. I ended up getting a F 17-28 off eBay for $170. Lens arrived yesterday.Taken with my new fisheye. | Stephen Krystopowicz | Flickr
I think you'll enjoy it very much- and at a great price too! I sometimes use mine when I occasionally shoot film. No FF DSLR yet.