Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2020, 06:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax - A 400mm F2.8 insanity.... advice

Just scored a 400mm F2.8, with a 1.7 AF teleconverter for what seemed to be a good price... described as ‘excellent’.

Lens arrived, had a real tree camo sticky backed vinyl covering, which I removed, revealing very nice condition white exterior, a few marks, but nice. Filter holder is there, has no filter, but could easily fit one, I think it may require one in place.

Aperture blades, which are accessible from the back, are sticky. Maybe some alcohol would fix, or send to KEH.

Glass is clear, focusing is reasonably smooth. Have not attempted to take a pic with it yet.

The BAD part....

There is a CRACK in the second element. It is basically a straight line crack about 1cm or so from the edge of the second element. Difficult to see at first glance, but it is there (and now that I see it, I can see it in the seller’s somewhat out of focus photo too). I guess they didn’t notice it.

Seller's pic attached, the crack is at 3-4 O'clock. Yeah, obvious now....

I spoke to the seller yesterday, and I have a return label, so can get $$$ back on this ($2600) they seem reasonable at this point.

But... should I run like hell, send it back, cry for a bit and forget about it.

Or make some ridiculously low offer to just keep it?

It’s possible the crack could have little to no effect. It’s possible it might never move. It’s close to the edge of the lens, perhaps it doesn’t even intrude into the APSC field of view??? I know sigma say one of their lenses (bigma maybe) takes a 95mm filter, but you can use a step down ring to 86mm when shooting APSC, which got me thinking....

My use for this lens is for shooting rocket launches using my K3, which may be at a range of 2 miles to 10 miles distant. The attraction of this lens was that with the 1.7 AF tc I could get to equivalent of a 1020mm f4.7 approx, still have some autofocus ability, it would also work with the 1.4x-l and 2x-l converters, which are rated about as good as it gets for TCs, albeit manual focus.

Alternatively, get a Bigma 50-500, or even a Pentax 150-450, pocket the change and never look back. The DA 560 is too much $$$ for me I think.

I do have a DA*300 that I could put a 1.4 TC on and save a fortune. Not quite the same but...

I don’t really want to have a ‘stupidest thing I ever did’ story (either way!).

Thoughts?

Attached Images

Last edited by MalcS; 01-05-2020 at 06:35 AM.
01-05-2020, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
If you're doing rocketry photography I'm fairly certain that you'll always be at hyperfocal distance. Why not use an A/A* lens? I don't know if its the same for all the long MF pentax lenses, but my 645 A* 600 has a movable detent lock for setting a desired locking focus point/limit as well. At that distance, you probably don't need AF.
01-05-2020, 06:42 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That seems a lot of money for a lens which has a major fault.
It may not notice now but in the future who knows.
And how did it get cracked? Strange it should be the second element which is not immediately accessible from the outside
I would get my money back.... unless the seller is prepared to accept a fee which is reasonable.
Having said that there was a 560 which had been dropped down a mountain that fetched big money a couple of years ago on the bay of e.

Last edited by roberrl; 01-05-2020 at 06:45 AM. Reason: missed a sentence
01-05-2020, 06:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

A crack is a serious fault, not a simple „lock at the pics“. The lens will not make you happy.

01-05-2020, 07:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would return it. Way too expensive if it has so many problems
01-05-2020, 07:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree - for that sort of money, I wouldn't have expected a cracked element - hardly 'excellent'.
01-05-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
return it - if it arrived in a condition other than advertised, it should be on their dime...

01-05-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the sanity check!

Yes, it’s a lot of money for a lens with a crack. Seller and I didn’t know it was cracked though, so price paid was ostensibly for an uncracked one!

Not sure there’s any amount of $ partial refund that would convince me to keep it, as it could just turn into a paperweight at some point, assuming it isn’t now... That really was the decision at this point, but crazy to keep it at any price I think....

No idea how the crack occurred, only the original owner knows that for sure (bought from a dealer). No obvious hit on it, this thing weighs about 15lbs and is a little over a foot long, so I’m not sure a drop would even leave a mark.

Going to box it up, ship it back...
01-05-2020, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

It seems to me that you have two options:

1. Return it.

2. Get a refund for a CONSIDERABLE amount.

One could argue the missed focus on the crack was deliberate and misleading.

01-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kain Quote
If you're doing rocketry photography I'm fairly certain that you'll always be at hyperfocal distance. Why not use an A/A* lens? I don't know if its the same for all the long MF pentax lenses, but my 645 A* 600 has a movable detent lock for setting a desired locking focus point/limit as well. At that distance, you probably don't need AF.
Actually, that is an excellent point I hadn’t really considered, and 100% on target.

Out of interest, have you ever tried the 645 600 on a K mount camera? Stop down metering is a given, but they seem reasonably available in good/excellent shape compared to older 35mm lenses from the same era... reviews on here seem very good.

I recently gave my 645 film body and lenses to my niece for a university project, but kept the Pentax 645 -> K mount adapter...
01-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you considered the A* 600/5.6? Usually a available for around $2000.

A couple months ago Amazon had a new DA 560/5.6 sell for $2700. The key is to be diligent - and patient - in looking for deals.
01-05-2020, 08:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am wondering, is the crack notable on a picture?
01-05-2020, 08:30 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Have you considered the A* 600/5.6? Usually a available for around $2000.

A couple months ago Amazon had a new DA 560/5.6 sell for $2700. The key is to be diligent - and patient - in looking for deals.
Yes, looked for a A* 600. Saw one for a split second on that auction site, then it disappeared, now shows as completed / sold. It’s possible it didn’t actually sell, may contact seller and see.

$2700 for the current DA 560 would be a deal!

Patience is key...
01-05-2020, 09:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

What causes a crack to a lens element in the first place? A hefty whack or perhaps a big, sudden climate shift? The sticky aperture is a bit of a deal breaker. The lack of rear filter is another. I believe that there has to be one in place for the lens to work properly.

Perhaps it still works. My advice is to at least take a few pictures and do some pixel peeping before returning it.
01-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see something at the 2 and 3 o'clock positions but it does not look like a crack. My A star 400 does not have those marks, see attached pic from this morning [ used a TTL ring flash and a Streamlight for illumination ]. Also your diaphragm is further up the lens than you might think. First, you need to find out if ANYONE in the US can guarantee a repair on this lens, if they screw it up then what?. Last time I checked I needed to ship the lens back to Japan for someone who has experience on this lens to work on it. My thoughts, you almost got a good deal but I would return it and keep looking.... Edit, I now have the image on my iMac and I now see the crack! Could not really see it on my iPad Air 3. Hmmmmm, I would buy it with a steep discount, really steep!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 

Last edited by stihlmania; 01-05-2020 at 09:21 AM. Reason: add an update