Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #1

Looking for good short prime(s)

I would like to get some decent short prime lens(es) to use on K10D (mainly) and on MZ-5. As I am pretty new in the world of full manual control, no AE/AF, it would be nice to have at least an A lens or autofocus if it's affordable -- I definitely do not have the budget and need for and FA 24 or 28mm.
Criterias: first of all affordability (slightly towards cheep); then IQ and ease of use.

I did some research and I've been watching the prices but I'm sure I don't need to provide a long list here so I won't, I'll just sit back and listen .

Thanks in advance for sharing the knowledge.

Cheers,
Szilard.

10-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

mf sigmas 24-28/2.8 = $72-133 + S/H on KEH, in EX condition (so you can find cheaper elsewhere)

mf vivitar 28/2.8 = $49 + S/H on KEH, in EX condition (so you can find cheaper elsewhere)
10-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, that was pretty quick . I have some blurry memories about Sigma mini-wide with AF. Is there anything like this?

How about this deal ? What is that Ricoh pin with a deactivated spring mentioned in the description?
10-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

that's pretty much it - I think we have some wide MF sigma on sale here too (check marketplace) + some people were posting examples here as well

10-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pszilard Quote
What is that Ricoh pin with a deactivated spring mentioned in the description?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&message=19214685&changemode=1
10-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
vlo
Inactive Account

Hi.
Old Sigma MF Mini-Wides are good, specially 24 mm but also 28 mm. If You want AF Sigma makes fast f1,8 EXDg lenses in both 24 and 28 mm. I have a 24 mm and it is quite good. Also, some of the old Vivitars are reputed to be good. Stay clear of old MF Tamron 24/28 wides, they are no good (I speak from experience).
Just my point of view, do not get mad...

vlo
10-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pszilard Quote
I would like to get some decent short prime lens(es) to use on K10D (mainly) and on MZ-5. As I am pretty new in the world of full manual control, no AE/AF, it would be nice to have at least an A lens or autofocus if it's affordable -- I definitely do not have the budget and need for and FA 24 or 28mm.
Criterias: first of all affordability (slightly towards cheep); then IQ and ease of use.

I did some research and I've been watching the prices but I'm sure I don't need to provide a long list here so I won't, I'll just sit back and listen .

Thanks in advance for sharing the knowledge.

Cheers,
Szilard.
QuoteOriginally posted by vlo Quote
Hi.
Old Sigma MF Mini-Wides are good, specially 24 mm but also 28 mm. If You want AF Sigma makes fast f1,8 EXDg lenses in both 24 and 28 mm. I have a 24 mm and it is quite good. Also, some of the old Vivitars are reputed to be good. Stay clear of old MF Tamron 24/28 wides, they are no good (I speak from experience).
Just my point of view, do not get mad...

vlo
I would have to agree about the old MF Sigma 24mm Super-Wide and 28mm Mini-wide. I acquired both with "package deals" I purchased off of Craigslist for ridiculously low prices. The 24mm is outstanding, the focal length seems just right, and it has macro focus to boot. It has been on my K100DS more lately than my 16-45.

Have a good one.

7.62lew

Last edited by 7.62lew; 10-24-2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: typo
10-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 24mm Super Wide II Auto Focus

I just added the Sigma Super Wide II 24mm f/2.8 auto focus to the collection, and I am impressed!

I used to have the Sigma Mini Wide on my Nikon F80, and always loved the pictures from it. Since moving to Pentax, I have been looking for that lens in K-mount. I lucked out and found the Super Wide 24mm, which is even more useful on a 1.5x crop APS-C camera.

I think the Super Wide II is my new standard lens for my *ist DL! The field of view is 36mm equivalent, just about my favourite for street shooting. The build quality of the lens is great. (I think Sigma were making Nikon's primes at the same time, so they look quite similar.) The optical performance is nice. Like the Mini Wide 28mm, the 24mm focuses quite closely. The combination of close focussing and wide angle make for lots of great opportunities to control DOF and shoot interesting foreground/backgrounds. The bokeh is very nice and smooth (also the same as the 28mm Mini Wide.) The 2.8 speed is fast enough for most any available light shooting (especially with the flexibility of ISO settings in digital.) I find the autofocus on my *ist DL is VERY fast, even though the focus ring has a long throw, which makes manual focusing easier. Focus is also very accurate, I don't have any back or front focusing issues. It's also full frame lens, and 24mm is a great wide for shooting 35mm film. Photodo give this lens an MTF rating of 4/5.

Honestly, I really wanted one good AF prime that wouldn't break the bank. Everyone recommends the Pentax 50, but 50mm is too tight for me on 35mm, let alone APS-C. On the *ist DL, a fast 50 is only for portraits. I considered the DA40, because the price was pretty good, and the lens is also recommended. It would make a good standard lens on 35mm, but on the *ist DL, it's still a little long (60mm equiv.) For MUCH less money, the Sigma Super Wide II was the perfect standard length for digital, and a nice wide angle for film.

Highly recommended, and I'm only getting started with the lens! Here are a couple of test shots (nothing artistic!!)