Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tamron SP 90mm/F2.5 Macro

I hope I didn't pay too much for this thing...

There wasn't much info in the way of past auctions or sales here in the Marketplace. Based on the little info I did manage to find, I think I did okay. Either way, I needed an affordable dedicated macro and it was either going to be this or the 50mm Macro Tak. Since this one comes with the matching 2X converter (for 1:1 magnification), I figured I'd better jump on it. I already have a PK Adaptall-2 mount from an old lens.

BTW, I paid $150.00 for both pieces...

10-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote

There wasn't much info in the way of past auctions or sales here in the Marketplace. Based on the little info I did manage to find, I think I did okay. Either way, I needed an affordable dedicated macro and it was either going to be this or the 50mm Macro Tak. Since this one comes with the matching 2X converter (for 1:1 magnification), I figured I'd better jump on it. I already have a PK Adaptall-2 mount from an old lens.

I am looking for the same lens and you get the multiplier. If you don't like it, you can PM me and I don't mind paying the price plus some for you.

Another great lens to consider in that price range is a 1:2 close up with Komine 135mm f/2.8 1:2 close up. I love the Komine copy but it falls short on not having 1:1. But seriously most of what I do, 1:2 is very much what I need. And the komine beats the others in having a 2 feet minimum focusing distance and I find it a great excellent lens to stay a bit farther away from bugs.

Thanks,
Hin
10-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I think that's near the average price, when it doesn't include a PKA mount, which itself often goes for ~100USD. I find it a very useful lens, not only for macro, but it is also a good portrait lens, so with it in the pocket you have two specialized lenses. A normal on the camera and a wide angle in the other pocket and you are ready to go. It is also brighter then the K100/4 and M100/4 macros from Pentax, and if you later get the PKA adaptall mount you do get full exposure functionality, without paying for a A100/2.8 macro.

There is a dedicated extension tube which gives 1:1 without making it a 180mm lens, and which lose less light than the 2x converter. A good option. Find I use it more than the 2x converter. Then there is a SP 1.4x converter I'd like to put my hands on.

Had the lens with me in the pocket a while ago when we were out to pick mushrooms, both to take pics of the kids and for some mushroom macros. No tripod, so they are hand held and not as long DOF as one could wish. No converter or tube either.

"smoke mushrooms", if translated directly from Swedish. 2* as food mushroom when they are fresh. Once they go old, they emit smoke if you step on them, hence the name. I suppose the smoke is part of the reproduction. Very popular among the kids. Had to stop them stepping on these until I shot this one. Then they were dissapointed because they were not old enough to "smoke".

Title: percentage

Just made BW in lightroom. Like the surface structure. I think these can be eaten, but not sure enough to pick them. But you can't get poisoned from shooting a mushroom.

Had hooped to shot and pick more mushrooms, but there were not so many. Haven't had time to get out after that, and now the season is running towards its end.
10-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That seems like a decent price - with patience and a bit of luck you might get cheaper, but it seems like in good shape. Keh would want 110-140 for the lens alone.

I won't gloat about how much I paid for mine... :ugh:

10-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
That seems like a decent price - with patience and a bit of luck you might get cheaper, but it seems like in good shape. Keh would want 110-140 for the lens alone.

I won't gloat about how much I paid for mine... :ugh:
Gloating is a good thing....let's hear it. And let's see some pics!
10-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am looking for the same lens and you get the multiplier. If you don't like it, you can PM me and I don't mind paying the price plus some for you.

Another great lens to consider in that price range is a 1:2 close up with Komine 135mm f/2.8 1:2 close up. I love the Komine copy but it falls short on not having 1:1. But seriously most of what I do, 1:2 is very much what I need. And the komine beats the others in having a 2 feet minimum focusing distance and I find it a great excellent lens to stay a bit farther away from bugs.

Thanks,
Hin
Thanks for the info, Hin...

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I think that's near the average price, when it doesn't include a PKA mount, which itself often goes for ~100USD. I find it a very useful lens, not only for macro, but it is also a good portrait lens, so with it in the pocket you have two specialized lenses. A normal on the camera and a wide angle in the other pocket and you are ready to go. It is also brighter then the K100/4 and M100/4 macros from Pentax, and if you later get the PKA adaptall mount you do get full exposure functionality, without paying for a A100/2.8 macro.

There is a dedicated extension tube which gives 1:1 without making it a 180mm lens, and which lose less light than the 2x converter. A good option. Find I use it more than the 2x converter. Then there is a SP 1.4x converter I'd like to put my hands on.
Thanks. I might have to look into that dedicated extension tube.
10-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Gloating is a good thing....let's hear it. And let's see some pics!
Ok, well then. Via Shopgoodwill.com $41 for the Tammy and a Nikon zoom lens. So I figure maybe $35 for the Tammy.

Then the 2x BBAR Flat Field thingie was somewhere under $20. I splurged at KEH for the hood and what they called a K adaptall-2... turned out the adaptall was a KA. These two items cost me something like $35 total.

Photos... I'm lousy at macros. I use the lens as an 85mm replacement

This is my Certo Super Sport Dolly camera, which at the time I had converted to a Pin Dolly

10-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

When I first started out around the first of the year I ended up with both the 52B and 52BB but have since changed to my Sigma. Not that the Sigma is a better lens but as I said I was just starting out and really wasn't used to the manual focus thing.
Of course, I find now that macro is all about manual focus.
Anyway, I do believe these lenses are a real gems. They are easy to find on the used market so the price is right also. I think both the lenses cost me around $300 without the adapters. The P/KA adapter is another thing though. Very pricey unless you get lucky like I did and payed only $20 for the first one and $30 for the other.
Have fun with your purchase!

BTW, last shot is awesome Nesster

10-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #9

Congratulations - you bought a wonderful lens! This is one of my favorites, if I go out I normally take this one and a 16-45. The price is OK with the converter, the lens alone goes for about $100-120- but hey who cares when you have it on your camera. For macro you might want to try an extension tube since you get a brighter image (hope someone corrects me if this is wrong)I never need the 1:1 though and 1:2 is enough for most cases. Its is also a great portrait lens and short tele.
Here are some (rather old) pictures with it:

10-25-2008, 08:13 AM   #10

This is my Certo Super Sport Dolly camera, which at the time I had converted to a Pin Dolly
Was this photo taken with the 2x converter? The chromatic aberration (blue and pink fringes) in this one is quite strong, I normally don't see this with mine.

10-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I love this shot!
10-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chse Quote
Was this photo taken with the 2x converter? The chromatic aberration (blue and pink fringes) in this one is quite strong, I normally don't see this with mine.
"You shoulda seen the other guy" This was outside, with the chrome highlights very strong... I shot at the same time with the DA 70 Ltd, and it had the aberration worse. So I consider the 90 a better lens overall, actually. There's a zone - close portrait, I'd say, the 70 has magic however.

Super mantis, by the way.

thank you Miserere, I like it also... I was out on a mountain in the fog with two cameras.