Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2008, 01:15 AM   #16
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
when I was choosing between 35, 40 and 50 I went for DA40. If you are planning to get one lens only (at least for now), you can't go wrong with DA40. As marc wrote f2.8 is fast enough almost every time, ocasionaly you may wish to have 1 stop more. But if you are shooting interiors or people static enough then 2.8 is fast enough. My secon choice would be FA35. It's one stop faster, but I find it bit too short...
good luck choosing
BR

10-24-2008, 03:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got myself a DA40 and haven't had any regrets. The 35/2 looks real good but I prefer the build and size of the 40. It's just so small and well-built and it focuses really fast too. Plenty sharp wide-open.

I've used it with my K20D in low-light situations and the SR helps plus I don't mind shooting at ISO1600. I love the texture from the grain/noise.

But that's just me. Hope that helps.
10-24-2008, 04:24 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Well this is the perfect thread for me, since I'm in the same dillema.

The only difference is that I'm considering the DA 35 also.

I thought between the DA35 and DA40 I would chose the first one since wider and the macro is a +.

No idea at this point...
10-24-2008, 04:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I had a hard time with choosing between the DA40 and DA35 too. But I chose the 40 for the size, extra bit of speed in the AF and the price. I mean, it's almost half the price of the 35. I ended up having more money for the 21 and 70 I just ordered.

The macro function is really neat and the 35 was one helluva lens when I played around with one. I just want to be practical too and I personally don't need the macro to make photos I'm happy with. If you really want the macro, go get it. Maybe someday I will too when I have a lot more money.

I think if you can afford it and you don't mind the size, go get it The AF speed of the DA35 is very fast, not much difference in the DA40.

10-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Just like you, I went thru the same process when shopping for a low-light indoor fast lens.

And just like before, I see the most people tend to recommend the FA35... and there is a reason for this: it is a WINNER disguised in a cheap plastic body, it is fast, it is very very sharp and very very compact and perfect FOV for indoors.

I was SOOO reluctant to choose the FA35 mostly because of the way it looks: cheap plastic construction and the "cheap price" (the idea that more $$ is better). Not as sexy as the LTDS and or even the DA. Yes, it looks bad at first...

But how wrong my first impressions were... And to be honest, these are the BEST PURCHASES you can make: NO EXPECTATIONS (very very different then buying a $700 DA* lens) and then you get this HUGE SMILE in your face once you see the results.

It is THAT good. But again, most people are still reluctant to believe the rave for different reasons..

Later

BB
10-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Regarding f/2.8 and 1/20" being too slow for "people" shots:

First, I'd agree 1/20 isn't going to stop motion. But if you can ask people to hold still, or don't mind waiting for the right moment, it's still plenty fast. I've got plenty of shots of musicians in performance at 1/20" (shot with longer lenses, at that) that are as sharp as I could reasonably ask for. For instance, this one with the M135/3.5 at f/3.5 and 1/20":

Of course, I had lots of similar shots that didn't turn out as well, but luckily, I had plenty of opportunity over the course of the evening. With candids, it's not so cool to have a lot of shots not come out well because of blur - you might miss the best moments.

So I think it important to emphasize that when I said 1/20" was fast enough, I didn't mean to imply that this was fast as you can get at f/2.8. On the contrary, it's only the darkest rooms that can't give you faster shutter speeds. "Most" of the time, it's quite easy to get shutter speeds of 1/45" or 1/60", even without resorting to ISO 1600. For instance, this one is 1/45" at ISO 400 (and is actually stopped down to f/3.5), and was lit primarily by window light:

Or this one, lit by an ordinary living room light fixture, taken at 1/60", f/2.8, and ISO 1600:

So I'm not saying there aren't *some* situations where f/2.8 isn't fast enough. But considering how much I debated this before buying the lens, I am constantly and pleasantly surprised at just how seldom it is actually an issue.

Note also the extremely fast AF of the DA40 (probably the fastest of any Pentax lens) makes it possible to get some shots you might miss otherwise, and this can sometimes make up for some of the shots you lose due to blur.

I'd just reiterate that between the DA40 and FA35, there are tradeoffs, which Steve summarized nicely (except for leaving off the incredibly fast AF of the DA40). It's not like either lens can't do the job at all; it's more a question of which compromises you are more willing to make. And I'm just trying to argue that the f/2 versus 2/8 compromise is not *tht* big a deal in practice.

Now, regarding the various 50mm lenses, I'd say that while these are great to have, they are often too long for indoor candids. Some would say that about the 40, but I guess it depends on your style of photography. I generally like pictures of people to have the person dominate the scene, and I tend to like to hang back several feet away - an oserver, not a participant. 40mm is perfect for me most of the time. But I'm glad I have my M28/2.8 too for when I want something a bit wider.
10-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by mwcfire Quote
FA 35/2 is getting harder to find, but still can be for $300 or less. Great reviews, cheaper plastic build, okay speed.
I think it is still in production. They are available from many sources for around US$300.

10-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #23

According to this:

FA 35/2 AL

the production already ended, but "new-in-box" are still available in some stores.
10-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I am constantly and pleasantly surprised at just how seldom it is actually an issue.
get some small kids
10-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
According to this:

FA 35/2 AL

the production already ended, but "new-in-box" are still available in some stores.
if it is ended who makes Samsung lenses marked D-XENOGON ? or do you think that there is in fact a whole bunch of people busy repainting old Pentax lenses ?
10-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #26
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
if it is ended who makes Samsung lenses marked D-XENOGON ? or do you think that there is in fact a whole bunch of people busy repainting old Pentax lenses ?
you never know, in recent economic slowdown the cost must be kept down at, well, any cost
10-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

BTW, there is a DA40/2.8 @ prodigital2000 @ buy it now price = USD ~$198.83 + $18 shipping... CAD$ price = $250... very low.
10-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #28

Original Poster
I saw that Prodigital Auction plus they did have a 43 ltd for $320 plus $18 shipping USD.
10-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
According to this:

FA 35/2 AL

The FA 35mm is still for sale at the Pentax Web Store:
PentaxWebstore smcP FA 35mm f/2.0 AL

I assume it's still in production.
10-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #30
Veteran Member

B&H should still have it for $299