Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

DA15 use with CPL filter & step up ring ???

recently acquired a DA15 but with the built in hood I see no way of threading on a circular polarizer nor a step up ring (49-52) directly....

was wondering if anyone has used or busted out glass from a couple other filters (whether uv, haze, something not really used) to 'build' enough clearance past the retracted hood thus allowing the rotation of the circular polarizer or use of the step up ring?

in regards to the step ring recently got a 52mm variable ND & 49 to 52 step up ring which covers several lens for me

the build is more for the ND filter (step up) use than CPL

reckon looking for some experiences or other work arounds before I start busting glass out of a few filters not they would be missed

thanks

Aaron

Last edited by Aaron28; 01-09-2020 at 05:12 PM.
01-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wide angles tend to have interesting and uneven effect on the sky, if you really want to use one with the 15 then perhaps a 77mm hand held might be your easiest non vignetting option
01-09-2020, 04:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used to have the da 15, and it worked with a b+w cpl filter with the thicker f-pro frame, or at least the hood wasn't interfering and there was only minor if any vignetting in the corners. Stacking an nd filter with that polarizer, even a super slim frame, would lead to stronger/hard vignetting in the extreme corners. I haven't used that lens with a step up ring, but I did use an uv (or the cpl) as an adapter to add the adapter ring for cokin p suqare filters, because the adapter alone had too shallow threads to reach past the hood. So again, it'll work but watch out for vignetting if the step out ring isn't large enough.
01-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I just use 49mm filters. Mostly an UV for protection or an ND1000 for long exposures.

01-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #5

What is the diameter of your CPL filter? Though I've never had a practical use for it on my 15mm, my B+W CPL filter has a 52mm diameter, so to get it to fit on the lens I had to use an empty 49mm filter ring, followed by a 49-52 step-up ring, then finally the CPL filter. This combination has noticeable vignetting, and although I can't recall with complete certainty, I think I even saw some vignetting before I even added the CPL filter (so, just the empty and step-up rings.) I think perhaps a single empty 49mm ring by a 49mm slim profile CPL or VND filter should work on the 15mm with enough clearance for rotation and no noticeable vignetting, but two or more standard or wider rings will likely show up in your images.

I recall reading in another thread that people had success using step up rings to even wider diameters though. 52mm may be too narrow just beyond the length of the lens hood, but stepping up to 58mm or more might get the edges of the filter rings just beyond the visible image.
01-09-2020, 08:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I don't use CPL filters all that much with the DA 15 (because it's so wide), but on the few occasions I have used such filters, I've just used 49mm ones without any issues. I don't see any point in using step-up rings with such a lens. Now for using square graduated ND filters, that's a different story. In that case, the hood will necessitate the use of 100mm square filters and you'll some kind of spacer filter (i.e., filter with glass removed) to connect the filter holder to the front of the lens.
01-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax mentions on its web site: "Instead of a dome-shaped protrusion, the lens front has a flat shape for enabling attachment of frequently-used circular polarizing light filters and commercially-available 49mm size filters for landscape photos". So, that says it all.

Has anyone tried to remove the hood, or must the lens be disassembled for that.

01-10-2020, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the opportunity to show my fun image a second (or third ?) time ...

K-1 > DA15 > 49mm B&W UV filter > step-up 49 - 62 > step-up 62 - 82 > 82 mm Haida ND 10-stop > 82 - 105 mm hood

With Pentax APS-C DSLR > DA15 > 49mm B&W UV filter > step-up 49 - 62 I can use my 62mm B&W PLC on the DA15 without any problem. It works even with step-up 62 - 82 > 82 - 105 mm metal hood. No extreme vignetting in the corners. Looks funny but works.

Please remember - the angle of view of 15mm @ APS-C isn't very much on ultra-wide angle territory - really not comparable with 15 @ FF. It's a bit wider than 24 mm @ FF.

I once bought a 49mm PLC. Because of the retractable DA15 hood this didn't work. Tried it carefully but It had friction up to hood damaging character so I don't use it on the DA15.

Does it make sense to use a PLC with the APS-C - DA15 combo? I'd say, depends on what's your goal. Blue sky can be problematic, cause the blue can be be captured uneven - yes. Why not use it to work against reflections on water, foliage etc. or to make your longtime exposure 1-2 stops longer if that's what you need?

Last edited by acoufap; 01-10-2020 at 10:58 AM.
01-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Pentax mentions on its web site: "Instead of a dome-shaped protrusion, the lens front has a flat shape for enabling attachment of frequently-used circular polarizing light filters and commercially-available 49mm size filters for landscape photos". So, that says it all.

Has anyone tried to remove the hood, or must the lens be disassembled for that.
The lens must be disassembled and the hood modified to be able to remove it. I think my copy has this mod from the previous owner, but I've never disassembled it to see how it works.

01-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
terrific thanks gang!

I am more concerned with the step up "clearance" to make use of the 52mm ND filter......it just happens I have a 49mm cpl but never or rarely use it

reckon I will expect vingetting to occur and deal with it and maybe find a way to get wider as 58mm or more ND filter will be next once I get to experiment with what I got

it just so happened I got the da15 after proceeding with the 49-52 step and 52 ND filter.....

appreciate all the feedback!
01-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I used to have the da 15, and it worked with a b+w cpl filter with the thicker f-pro frame, or at least the hood wasn't interfering and there was only minor if any vignetting in the corners. Stacking an nd filter with that polarizer, even a super slim frame, would lead to stronger/hard vignetting in the extreme corners. I haven't used that lens with a step up ring, but I did use an uv (or the cpl) as an adapter to add the adapter ring for cokin p suqare filters, because the adapter alone had too shallow threads to reach past the hood. So again, it'll work but watch out for vignetting if the step out ring isn't large enough.
I have used Hoya and Fotax brand (as well as some no-name brand on occasions) PL and CPL 49mm threaded filters on my DA15mm with no problems. I have occasionally had the irregular sky purpling that sometimes occurs with a CPL, but that is never a problem with the PL. I often find that I get better outdoor images with a grad-ND or a grad-blue than with a PL. All these filters fit under the slide-out hood with no difficulty. I also have an additional hood with 49mm thread that I can attach in front of the PL - I think it was originally for a FF 24mm lens, so it works well (it was $2 from a charity shop).
01-11-2020, 06:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
The lens must be disassembled and the hood modified to be able to remove it. I think my copy has this mod from the previous owner, but I've never disassembled it to see how it works.
Thanks, that's what I expected. Too complicated and costly to consider.
07-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #13
Banned

Anyone know if a 49mm Slim UV will get you to hood end or is a Slim not enough? I also see a 49mm Cokin extension ring available. I assume this would work as it appears just an empty filter.

---------- Post added 07-13-20 at 12:21 PM ----------

My intent is to step up from there to go with the Progrey square system.