Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #1

Do C and N have as many lens quality issues?

Being a new DSLR user, and even newer to the Pentax brand.. hearing all of the quality problems with the DA* 16-50 in particular has me second guessing my K20D purchase.

My question to you good folk is: Does Can*n and Nik*n have quality issues such as this? PentaxPoke, I believe went through 3 DA* 16-50's before finding a good one (or did he give up?). That is a little unnerving. Coupled with the seemingly small lens selection directly from Pentax themselves where as C and N have a large range of their own branded lens'.

I also have been reading that Sigma and Tamron can really be hit or miss too. Again, unnerving.

10-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you stay away from the 16-50 you'll be fine. This forum has a lens review section which can help you decide which lenses to get.

Pentax Lens Review Database - Main Index

You can cover the range drom 10 to 300 mm with just a few zooms, and there is a wide selection of primes from 14mm to 300mm; some of these primes are of a quality you'll be hard pressed to find from other brands.

Beyond 300mm you'll have to either go third party or get a second hand Pentax lens.
10-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
If you stay away from the 16-50 you'll be fine. This forum has a lens review section which can help you decide which lenses to get.

Pentax Lens Review Database - Main Index

You can cover the range drom 10 to 300 mm with just a few zooms, and there is a wide selection of primes from 14mm to 300mm; some of these primes are of a quality you'll be hard pressed to find from other brands.

Beyond 300mm you'll have to either go third party or get a second hand Pentax lens.
I've got a Pentax 50-200 on the way (used). It's a 'slow' lens, but it'll likely be a good one to try out next to my kit lens. The 16-50 seems universally liked by folks who get a good copy, which is obviously enticing to try and get one.

Not sure where to go with primes. People sure do seem to enjoy that 50/1.7 though.
10-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

only from what i get from lurking on DPR, the answer is yes. don't take this for fact, but just an idea...
Nikon's $1500 24-70 has sporadic issues, Nikon VR units seem to be fragile as well, Nikon's 18-200 has tonnes of QC issues
Rebels XSi with AF problems, Canon's top of the line 1D iii series with SEVERE unresolved AF issues still

10-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also recently did some work with a Canon setup and the first day out the goofy lens went belly up. Strangest thing too, got a few shots then it would keep pegging to infinity focus for no particular reason. Fresh lens and all was well.

So yeah, they also have their issues.
10-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mindflux Quote
Being a new DSLR user, and even newer to the Pentax brand.. hearing all of the quality problems with the DA* 16-50 in particular has me second guessing my K20D purchase.

My question to you good folk is: Does Can*n and Nik*n have quality issues such as this? PentaxPoke, I believe went through 3 DA* 16-50's before finding a good one (or did he give up?). That is a little unnerving. Coupled with the seemingly small lens selection directly from Pentax themselves where as C and N have a large range of their own branded lens'.

I also have been reading that Sigma and Tamron can really be hit or miss too. Again, unnerving.
I havent owned either, but canon lens qc is often lamented as being as bad as sigma etc.
10-23-2008, 11:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

PentaxPoke, I believe went through 3 DA* 16-50's before finding a good one (or did he give up?). That is a little unnerving.
I did give up on the 16-50 after 3 tries, but in the end I found a lens I like much better for many reasons (Tamron 17-50). All manufacturing companies have problems from time to time, including all camera companies. Some worse than this. Don't judge Pentax by one lens. I own many Pentax products and the only complaint I have ever had, has been with the 16-50. Ford had the Edsel, and Pentax has the 16-50. I wouldn't judge Ford based on one car.

You will be dissapointed if you rethink the k20d based on a single lens. The k20d is the best camera I have ever owned. I rarely hear people say anything negative about it. If I was only allowed to have one camera and one lens from any camera company, I would choose the k20d and the DA 18-250 and could be very happy for a long time.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 10-24-2008 at 12:05 AM.
10-24-2008, 05:54 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hrm thanks guys! That's a bit reassuring.

I was eyeing that 18-250, but a Nik*n friend of mine said that's a bit too much zoom? I forget why specifically. Hence why I picked up the 50-200 in addition to my 18-55.

10-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
I havent owned either, but canon lens qc is often lamented as being as bad as sigma etc.
There is no need to mis-inform people
LensRentals.com - News: The Sigma Saga
10-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

but a Nik*n friend of mine said
There was your only mistake.
10-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
RaduA

My personal opinion is that in the DA*16-50 debacle the major part of the blame lies IMO on Pentax' USA shoulders. They should of recall all returned lenses from the dealers and repair them like they did in Europe with the lenses under warranty. Instead they let some dozens or hundreds of bad copies to make countless victims and create a hysteria regarding this lens. Other than this lens I don't know any other real problems with recent models.

Regards,
Radu
10-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
My personal opinion is that in the DA*16-50 debacle the major part of the blame lies IMO on Pentax' USA shoulders. They should of recall all returned lenses from the dealers and repair them like they did in Europe with the lenses under warranty. Instead they let some dozens or hundreds of bad copies to make countless victims and create a hysteria regarding this lens. Other than this lens I don't know any other real problems with recent models.

Regards,
Radu

American companies don't like to hold themselves accountable for anything. They wait for a lawsuit to do it for them.
10-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #13
RaduA

American companies don't like to hold themselves accountable for anything. They wait for a lawsuit to do it for them.
Mindflux,

I don't know the details but I still regard Pentax USA as culpable for not issuing a recall on those bad copies. It's not the fault of the dealers that only try to maximise their profits but of Pentax that could of avoided this embarassement and replace some 100-200 bad old copies with fresh and tested ones. Mine is from may 2008 and never caused me much problems.

Regards,
Radu
10-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know a few persons with N d300's and 18-xxx lenses, many have gone back for repair or replacement already.
10-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

oh yeah, i forgot the D300 DBS, DEAD BATTERY SYNDROME