Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-mount lenses

I posted in another thread that i am probably upgrading my k1000 to an MX. In fact, I'm almost certain thats what I will end up getting. My question about lenses though... I currently own a SMC 50m, SMC-A 28m, and a SMC 135m. I don't use the 135, it came with the 28m as a deal on ebay. I keep it around just in case I find a reason to use it. I enjoy doing alot of double exposure, landscape, urban landscape, and some portraiture. The 28 and 50 seem to work for those needs. I'd like to get into more street stuff in the future. I'd like to add to my lenses, I was looking at a 35m or even the pancake 40. Is there a different option I should be looking at? What could help round off my current lens choices?

01-10-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd suggest the Pentax 35mm f/2.8 Ltd. Macro.
It'd add a macro to your kit and it's a great walk-around/street lens too.
01-10-2020, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I think for street, you'll be ok with the A 28 and perhaps the additional 35-40 mm. But I would also recommend an additional body with automatic shutter speed priority mode, aka Tv, because you'll probably want something to select an aperture, set the focus to hyperfocal distances, and just point and shoot.
Try out any cheap, even third party 35 mm and see if you like the FOV. You can always resell and get something else. Check out the 40-43 mm Pentax lens club to see which one suits your style better and get an appropriate body for it. The M 40 is also part of the pancake lens club.
01-10-2020, 09:46 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
That DA35 Macro is going to be pretty rough on an MX.

01-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
I think for street, you'll be ok with the A 28 and perhaps the additional 35-40 mm. But I would also recommend an additional body with automatic shutter speed priority mode, aka Tv, because you'll probably want something to select an aperture, set the focus to hyperfocal distances, and just point and shoot.
Try out any cheap, even third party 35 mm and see if you like the FOV. You can always resell and get something else. Check out the 40-43 mm Pentax lens club to see which one suits your style better and get an appropriate body for it. The M 40 is also part of the pancake lens club.
I've looked into either the ME Super or the Program, mainly for the Ap priority mode. But I'm going to want manual features most of the time. I'm hoping I'll be able to get some street stuff with the MX
01-10-2020, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by craveone Quote
I posted in another thread that i am probably upgrading my k1000 to an MX. In fact, I'm almost certain thats what I will end up getting. My question about lenses though... I currently own a SMC 50m, SMC-A 28m, and a SMC 135m. I don't use the 135, it came with the 28m as a deal on ebay. I keep it around just in case I find a reason to use it. I enjoy doing alot of double exposure, landscape, urban landscape, and some portraiture. The 28 and 50 seem to work for those needs. I'd like to get into more street stuff in the future. I'd like to add to my lenses, I was looking at a 35m or even the pancake 40. Is there a different option I should be looking at? What could help round off my current lens choices?
FWIW, I find 35mm is the focal length that most closely approximates what I "see" as I'm walking around.

So if I were in your shoes, that is what I would go for. I would also lean toward an "A" lens - like the SMC Pentax-A 35mm F2.8 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database because someday you may want a more advanced body, as torashi points out.
01-10-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

there is a thread the OP might want to review

the Pentax 40mm and 43mm Lens Club - Page 14 - PentaxForums.com

showcasing the 40mm F2.8 lenses and the FA 43mm Limited

01-10-2020, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

OP is using a K1000 and wants to upgrade to an MX. That lens only covers 24x36 mm at macro distances.

01-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

OP is using a K1000 and wants to upgrade to an MX. That lens only covers 24x36 mm at macro distances.
for macro, the distance from the target can be key

I like my DFA 100mm F2.8 Macro ( non WR )

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

it makes a good short telephoto as well

QuoteQuote:
SMC Pentax-D FA lenses have fixed focal lengths and are optimized for use with both Pentax Film & Digital SLRs. They cover the full-frame 24x36mm image circle.

Read more at: Pentax D FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
01-10-2020, 11:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
for macro, the distance from the target can be key

I like my DFA 100mm F2.8 Macro ( non WR )

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

it makes a good short telephoto as well

Read more at: Pentax D FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
How is the OP going to adjust the aperture on the D FA lenses?
01-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
did I goof up

[ it wouldn't be the first time, nor the last ]

the lens is designed to work with film SLR

perhaps not the one that the OP mentioned ?
01-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
That was my one regret when I got D FA 100 WR macro, then I realized that at the time the only camera that I owned that couldn't' control the aperture from the body were my spotmatics and felt better. Then I got a broken K500 and felt kind of bad but realized that I would never use it for macro as I already owned a K-3. However in the original poster's case going to the FA version would be a good viable option.
01-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by craveone Quote
I've looked into either the ME Super or the Program, mainly for the Ap priority mode. But I'm going to want manual features most of the time. I'm hoping I'll be able to get some street stuff with the MX
Oh, you're right. Sorry, I meant Av, too, since you have M lenses.

01-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #14
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That lens only covers 24x36 mm at macro distances.
nice catch.. wasn't thinking!
01-10-2020, 11:20 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

nice catch.. wasn't thinking!
Hahaha! I think we're all messing up a bit today on this particular thread.