01-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
did I goof up

[ it wouldn't be the first time, nor the last ]

the lens is designed to work with film SLR

perhaps not the one that the OP mentioned ?
The OP currently has a K1000, and is looking to acquire an MX. Neither body is auto-aperture, so only 2 of those DFA lenses - the 50 Macro and non-WR 100 Macrro - would work for him.

He also seems to be looking for something to fit between his 28mm and 50mm, although I agree that a Macro lens could be pretty neat. And since it looks like he will have neither auto-focus or auto-aperture, and is on a budget, he could go for an older, cheaper lens than that fits the bill.

Edit: as a whole, as @torashi noted I think we're all a bit scattershot in this thread We're so eager to "help" the OP.

Last edited by luftfluss; 01-10-2020 at 11:42 AM.
01-10-2020, 11:40 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The OP currently has a K1000, and is looking to acquire an MX. Neither body is auto-aperture, so only 2 of those DFA lenses - the 50 Macro and non-WR 100 Macrro - would work for him. . . .
So my thoughts about the DFA 100mm F2.8 Macro ( non wr )

wasn't wrong if the OP wanted to go that route
01-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by craveone Quote
I don't use the 135
I would think it would be useful for your portraiture. When my wife and I were first dating I took a shot of her with a 135 on a 35mm film camera. The relatively shallow DOF did a nice job of isolating her from the pleasingly blurry background. She loved the shot.
01-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've looked into either the ME Super or the Program, mainly for the Ap priority mode. But I'm going to want manual features most of the time. I'm hoping I'll be able to get some street stuff with the MX
The M24-35/3.5 is a nice little zoom that is good for street shooting. Don't bother with AF zooms if you're only going to use a manual focus film camera. (They are usually slower. bigger, plasticity and more expensive)

Phil.

01-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I think I want to stick with a fully manual camera. I only really do portraits here and there. I'd like to start doing more since I have some ideas for double exposure stuff. But with those ideas I still don't see using the 135. Maybe I'll stick with what I have for now. I do love my 50 and 28, and as was stated before the 28 will work for street stuff. I have yet to really do "street" work. I'd like to try the MX with street since its so small, and maybe get a flash for it later down the road.
01-10-2020, 01:11 PM   #21
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K35/3.5 is a very good lens that won't break the bank.
01-10-2020, 01:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think I want to stick with a fully manual camera. I only really do portraits here and there. I'd like to start doing more since I have some ideas for double exposure stuff. But with those ideas I still don't see using the 135. Maybe I'll stick with what I have for now. I do love my 50 and 28, and as was stated before the 28 will work for street stuff. I have yet to really do "street" work. I'd like to try the MX with street since its so small, and maybe get a flash for it later down the road.
Now that you're mentioning double exposures again, you might want to look for an inexpensive ZX-L with battery grip or some rechargeable CR2's. The MZ-S is great for that, but way more expensive.

01-10-2020, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I'd suggest the Pentax 35mm f/2.8 Ltd. Macro.
It'd add a macro to your kit and it's a great walk-around/street lens too.
OP is shooting film and upgrading to the MX model film camera. The DA 35/2.8 has no aperture ring and will not work with that camera.

(Yes...more public flogging...)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-10-2020 at 02:39 PM.
01-10-2020, 02:39 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'd like to get into more street stuff in the future. I'd like to add to my lenses, I was looking at a 35m or even the pancake 40. Is there a different option I should be looking at? What could help round off my current lens choices?
You currently own the classic "three-lens kit" and many people would simply stop right there. If you are interested in doing more street stuff, 35mm focal length is the historic standard. I shot for years with nothing between 28mm and 50mm and was quite happy doing so until I started shooting 35mm on my rangefinder cameras. That was when the lights came on regarding that focal length. It simply works for street. I don't have experience with the Pentax-M 40/2.8 pancake, though I do know it has its fans.

Steve
01-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You currently own the classic "three-lens kit" and many people would simply stop right there. If you are interested in doing more street stuff, 35mm focal length is the historic standard. I shot for years with nothing between 28mm and 50mm and was quite happy doing so until I started shooting 35mm on my rangefinder cameras. That was when the lights came on regarding that focal length. It simply works for street. I don't have experience with the Pentax-M 40/2.8 pancake, though I do know it has its fans.

Steve
Wish I could afford a nice RF. My Zorki 4 with a Jupiter 8 50m is about all I could cough up.... lol
01-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #26
Pentaxian

When I was doing the walkaround general purpose work with a film camera (ME and LX) I usually carried the Tamron Adaptall SP 35-80mm. This gives me the slightly wide angle, a short tele and semi-macro in one lens. And the max aperture (f2.8-3.8) is good enough to allow general hand-held shots in shade with ISO 400 film. If you must go Pentax, then the 40-80mm M series is quite good, but the Tamron is optically better.

If I am doing the walkaround tourist type exercise, then I miss less opportunities with a short zoom. I often had the 40mm pancake in my back pocket as well, then 28, 40, 50 and 135 all have the same size filters.
01-11-2020, 08:04 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
When I was doing the walkaround general purpose work with a film camera (ME and LX) I usually carried the Tamron Adaptall SP 35-80mm. This gives me the slightly wide angle, a short tele and semi-macro in one lens. And the max aperture (f2.8-3.8) is good enough to allow general hand-held shots in shade with ISO 400 film. If you must go Pentax, then the 40-80mm M series is quite good, but the Tamron is optically better.

If I am doing the walkaround tourist type exercise, then I miss less opportunities with a short zoom. I often had the 40mm pancake in my back pocket as well, then 28, 40, 50 and 135 all have the same size filters.
I love the A-35 f/2.8 -- extremely sharp and fun to use. If you're interested in zooms that cover that range, the A 24-50 and M 35-70 are also both really nice lenses.
01-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alpeterson Quote
I love the A-35 f/2.8 -- extremely sharp and fun to use. If you're interested in zooms that cover that range, the A 24-50 and M 35-70 are also both really nice lenses.
I have the M version of the 35mm/f2.8 (optically similar) and it's great. That A 24-50 is probably a good choice, as would be the Tamron 24-48mm, but they are both harder to find than the M or A primes. There is also a small light M 28-50mm if the OP is willing to go with a zoom.
01-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
did I goof up

[ it wouldn't be the first time, nor the last ]

the lens is designed to work with film SLR

perhaps not the one that the OP mentioned ?
I don't think you did goof up. You said you have the non-WR version of the DFA 100mm f/2.8 macro, which I believe does have an aperture ring.

The DA 40mm f/2.8 is not for film but works for a FF body, yet doesn't have an aperture ring and would thus not be appropriate for the bodies the Op is contemplating, however, the Pentax "M" 40mm f/2.8 would do very well, as of course would the marvelous FA 43mm Limited.
01-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I could have been more clear and indicated the mentioning of the thread concerning the 40mms and 43mm limited was to show the potential of the original pancake lens - the Pentax "M" 40mm f/2.8 and the FA 43 Limited which do have the aperture ring as you noted.

so does the DFA 100mm F2.8 Macro ( non WR ) which does have the aperture ring