Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2020, 02:50 PM   #1

Asahiflex-Tower w/ Takumar 50mm f3.5 on ebay - plus seek help in submitting reviews

Hello Lens Forum members -

Though I have been a member of the Pentax Forums for well over a year, I think this might only be my 2nd post. I have contributed to the lens data base, but I've fallen behind in adding new acquisitions.

I routinely search for various Takumar lenses on ebay among other lens types. While searching for an Asahiflex 35mm f2.5 lens I found the following posting for an Asahiflex camera with a 50mm f3.5 Takumar lens.

Is this lens unusual? - I did find a review on the Forum which gave this lens fairly high ratings - but the photo shows a stainless steel or chrome version - different from the lens attached to the Asahiflex. Takumar 50mm F3.5 Reviews - M37 Screwmount Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

RARE COLLECTOR'S ASAHI ASAHIFLEX TOWER 23 BODY w/f 3.5 50MM TAKUMAR LENS - MINT | eBay

Thanks very much - I visit the forum quite often and would like to post reviews of a number of Schneider Kreuznach, Enna Werk Munchen and other German lenses I have in M42 mount - though I don't know how to go about preparing a review post. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike M
Cedar Park (Suburb of Austin, Texas)

01-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

According to this website that lens is pretty rare Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

To add a lens to the review database click here and follow the prompts Login - Pentax Lens Review Database
01-12-2020, 06:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow thats one very cool looking lens!

Unfortunately to use on more modern bodies will need a M37 to M42 adapter which apparently are not so easy to come by (and often lose infinity focus).
But obviously if you are buying a body with it, that is not a problem.

Found a link (translated to english) with some information that may or may not be helpful: Google Translate
01-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would avoid that seller at all costs. There have been a few posts here in the forums talking about his misleading descriptions, abusive prices and other BS

01-12-2020, 09:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I would avoid that seller at all costs. There have been a few posts here in the forums talking about his misleading descriptions, abusive prices and other BS
I did a search for that name -- mastrcardforu -- and didn't find anything on the Forums.
Do you have any pointers how to learn more? Are the posts using some other means of referring to that seller?
01-12-2020, 10:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will try to look for them. I remember one had to do with a 83 1.9. Some member here inquired about the lens. The seller changed the description of his add saying something like if you are stupid and you don't know anything about lenses do not make me waste my time. He also had two "gold" pentax cameras that were nothing that black spotmatics that had been sanded. I believe he was part of the forums for a few days and then he was kicked out. Maybe some other members remember details better than I do.
01-13-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I took a walk through their listings and these are the red flags I managed to note:
  • Strict as-is, no-returns policy. This is a major red flag.
  • Pricing 50% to 100+% above market
  • Exaggerated or inaccurate claims regarding desirability/collectability/age of certain items
  • Selling items as condition "Excellent" or "Outstanding" while qualifying in the description that the intent is for display only (i.e. non-functional) or no . This is a major red flag.
  • Selling black-over-silver repainted cameras as black-body.* This is a major red flag.
I would pass on this seller for camera gear based solely on his listings. FWIW, a seller can maintain a high favorable rating by closely tailoring their terms and winnowing complaints; eBay rules are on their side.

Steve

* A few examples were egregious...how does black strap lugs sound or large areas flaked off to chrome?

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-13-2020 at 01:00 PM.
01-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for your thoughts stevebrot. I cannot find the threads I was talking about so maybe they were deleted by moderatos. I wish somebody remembered more details because it was "fun"