Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #1

Question about: Pentax SMC DFA f/2.8 MACRO lens question (live view)

Anyone with this DFA 50mm macro lens? Does it work with LIVE VIEW function? (specifically on k-30 or k-50)

Thanks

01-13-2020, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

All lenses should work with live view. What is the reason you ask?
01-13-2020, 10:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't own this lens, but why wouldn't it work, like any DFA offering, without the least compatibilty issues in LV? So yeah, it should, perfectly.
01-14-2020, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I have the DFA 50 macro, it will work. In fact any lens will work with live view.

It will work with k30 and k50. Since it has an aperture ring, it will also work if the body has aperture block failure, but stop down metering will be required, for one hand shooting it will difficult unless if you shoot wide open.

01-14-2020, 05:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
I have the DFA 50 macro, it will work. In fact any lens will work with live view.

It will work with k30 and k50. Since it has an aperture ring, it will also work if the body has aperture block failure, but stop down metering will be required, for one hand shooting it will difficult unless if you shoot wide open.
To clarify, one hand shooting will be difficult only if I have the aperture block problem?
01-14-2020, 06:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aperture block problem aside ... The DFA50 marco works particularly well in live view with focus peaking, because of the excellent contrast and lack of spherical abberations at fully open aperture. Autofocus is slow on the K-5 due to the long focus movements in the macro range, but fairly snappy on the KP. I would expect the K-50 to be in between as it has a newer contrast AF implementation.
01-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Aperture block problem aside ... The DFA50 marco works particularly well in live view with focus peaking, because of the excellent contrast and lack of spherical abberations at fully open aperture. Autofocus is slow on the K-5 due to the long focus movements in the macro range, but fairly snappy on the KP. I would expect the K-50 to be in between as it has a newer contrast AF implementation.
I saw focus improvements from the k-50 to the k-3 but they were subtle perhaps because the increased resolution made precise focus more critical.

01-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by odie91 Quote
To clarify, one hand shooting will be difficult only if I have the aperture block problem?
What I meant is, if your body (K-30 or K-50) has aperture block failure, you will have to use the aperture ring, like if it was a K-serie or M-serie lens. You can only use the lens in Av or M mode. In Av mode, metering is automatic but only work if you select the widest aperture (in DFA 50 case, it is F2.8). In M mode, you will have to push the green button to meter the light (this will close the aperture briefly to measure the light). So it's another button to press.

That said, on my K-S2 (and also K-30 and K-50 according to picture), the green button is next to the shutter button, so in fact I could use it with only one hand, just moving the finger between shutter button and green button. So in fact, disregard what I said about aperture block failure and single hand shooting, I should have looked more closely at pictures before writing.

Another distinct advantage of the DFA 50 Macro (compared to DFA 100 Macro for example, and most lenses) is the Focus Clamp. This will allow you to use Catch-In focus, something very useful. You select the focus (magnification), you press the shutter fully, and then you focus by moving closer or farther from your subject. The camera will take the picture when you will be exactly in focus.
01-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #9

Original Poster
Does anyone here have both k30 and k50? Is live view equal in performance between the two?

I take medical photos and often have to shoot one handed while retracting with the other hand, and often in awkward positions where it's hard to use a viewfinder.