Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2020, 07:34 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lenses back from the dead!

A fun thought occurred to me. We should post pictures made with and of lenses that were damaged and repaired, lenses that once were dead, but are back in use. We should also give these lenses stories to honor their return from the junkheap.

The idea occurred after a pair of former customers of my SDM conversion service mentioned using the lenses again. But I don't want to limit this to failed sdm, any lens that gathered dust until it was repaired is game.

Thematically, any or all of the following would be great:

Post a picture made of the lens maybe before and after if the damage was visible.
Post a shot made with the lens after repair.
Post the story of the demise and rebirth.

01-14-2020, 08:34 AM - 7 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have posted a few such threads throughout the years. Let me dig for them.

---------- Post added 01-14-20 at 11:42 AM ----------

Hello,

Let me start with one of the most recent ones:
Pentax A50 f2

Before:

During:

After:

Sample image with it in a digital body:

You can check the whole story here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/390577-will...ten-k1000.html

Thanks,

Last edited by ismaelg; 01-14-2020 at 08:43 AM.
01-14-2020, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Pentax M 50mm f2 (dust and fungus) that I want to transform into a Soft lens by sanding some elements. This fits into a Back from Dead lens?
01-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
I have a Pentax M 50mm f2 (dust and fungus) that I want to transform into a Soft lens by sanding some elements. This fits into a Back from Dead lens?

Why not just use it as it is ... or isn't it soft enough

---------- Post added 01-14-20 at 09:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
A fun thought occurred to me. We should post pictures made with and of lenses that were damaged and repaired, lenses that once were dead, but are back in use. We should also give these lenses stories to honor their return from the junkheap.
Thematically, any or all of the following would be great:

Post a picture made of the lens maybe before and after if the damage was visible.
Post a shot made with the lens after repair.
Post the story of the demise and rebirth.

Excellent idea!

I've not had to deal with any Pentax lenses that were bad enough to be considered "dead", though I've given a few "virtual CPR" to get them going again, so would this suggestion apply to any make of lens or just Pentax?

01-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Why not just use it as it is ... or isn't it soft enough

---------- Post added 01-14-20 at 09:49 AM ----------

Excellent idea!

I've not had to deal with any Pentax lenses that were bad enough to be considered "dead", though I've given a few "virtual CPR" to get them going again, so would this suggestion apply to any make of lens or just Pentax?
Let's say any lens.
01-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This will get me drummed out the Pentax magic circle for sure but these are my two faves back from the dead......

Nikon 50mm f1.4 - used to be a favourite lens of mine. This one had super bad fungus round the rear edge of the rearmost element. It was so bad I had to get it done professionally. Her focus mech was also rather gummy and has now been cleaned and relubed.The shot of the River Wey with a reconditioned old mill block (now flats) was taken with this after refurb.

This wasn't an art shot just one from a test role to check out the Nikon F.

I don't like working on most lenses and especially not Nikkors.

Last edited by Astro-Baby; 05-09-2020 at 06:33 AM.
01-14-2020, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

And heres my beloved - Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.4 PF - shot on a. Minolta SRT101. Again its just scanned from a print and not an art shot- only a test roll to check out the SRTs meter. The lens had terrible haze, fungus and dust plus a stuck/sticky focus ring due to crud build up. I did this one myself as these lenses are not terribly tough to work on unlike the Nikkors.

Last edited by Astro-Baby; 05-09-2020 at 06:33 AM.
01-14-2020, 11:58 AM - 5 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello again,

Before:

During:

After:

Results:

You can see the whole story of the camera and the lens restoration here:
Trying to revive an Olympus OM-1 - PentaxForums.com

Thanks,
01-14-2020, 12:31 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've posted about this one elsewhere in the forums a couple of years ago...

It's a 1966 Industar-50 3.5/50mm. I bought it and the Zenit SLR it was attached to very cheaply on eBay, since both were described as "untested", which is usually bad news - but I took a punt on it anyway, given the low auction starting price, and won it for peanuts.

Sure enough, the camera and lens were in a dreadful state... absolutely filthy, lens focusing and diaphragm rings seized, glass infested with fungus. But the body of the lens appeared to be in decent condition and I thought it might be worth saving, so I set to work. I removed the optical elements and carefully cleaned them. Thankfully, the fungus came off fairly easily, and it hadn't etched the glass or damaged the coating. The two halves of the focusing helicoid were seized solid, but gentle heating loosened things up just enough that I could eventually use brute force to unscrew them. Both were cleaned then lubricated with a light marine lithium / zinc-oxide grease. The diaphragm came apart easily, but was badly gummed up with congealed Soviet "ear wax" lubricant that had migrated from the focusing mechanism. That was cleaned off, the blades cleaned thoroughly (some minor wear marks remained), then it was reassembled with just a touch of lubrication on the threaded mechanism, giving a nice dampened feel in use. Lastly, I gave the body parts a very thorough clean with toothbrush and a washing-up liquid plus warm water mix. Under all that dirt was near-mint gloss black paint-work, and lettering that looked yellow was restored to bright white once more.

I've done quite a few Industar-50 and -50-2 lenses in the last few years, and they're usually quick and easy to service. This one wasn't difficult, as such, but took several hours because of its unloved state. I was, and still am, pleased with the result. At 54 years it's older than me and in better condition - plus, it's the earliest gloss black example I own, and my favourite of the Industar-50 variants

No "before" photos, I'm afraid, and no sample shots from the lens as I've only carried out tests with it... but this is how it now looks:

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-14-2020 at 04:05 PM.
01-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Duto (soft) filter which screws into filter threads and converts any lens to soft. This saves doing damage to a lens. The filter has small raised spots, almost like raindrops, on it.
01-14-2020, 01:37 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another one:
Rexatar 200mm f3.3 M42

Before:

During:

After:

Results: (with a Pentax SV)

You can see the story here: Rexatar 200mm f3.3 M42 prime - PentaxForums.com

Thanks,
01-14-2020, 03:42 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

I received this 240mm Tele-Ennalyt in a bit of a state, the back end was held on with sticky tape, a couple of screws were missing, and a stuck aperture, as well as extensive fogging behind the front lens group. Sorting out the aperture and mount was, fortunately, little more than a bit of careful reassembly, no damage and, other than the screws, no missing parts.
The front was a bit more of a challenge, but with a bit of brute force to unscrew it and use of a sucker to pull the elements out of their housing, (the muck on the left-hand lens can be seen in the picture), all cleaned up and went back together no problem.
I think the results were worth the effort

01-14-2020, 05:07 PM - 9 Likes   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The story of the death and rebirth of the DA 55-300 PLM is told here: What to avoid with your 55-300 PLM lens! - PentaxForums.com

In short, I dropped the camera with the lens mounted (and hood in place) about half a metre (18") onto the steel deck of a boat in one of the most remote places I have ever been, in the wilds of south-west Tasmania. It hit lens hood first. The lens barrel snapped off at the base.

C R Kennedy sent it to Japan for repair. To my amazement it came back looking like new.

The repair report said, "repaired rear barrel, replace pc board, clean and test". The cost estimate was $A250-300, but because it took longer than expected CRK waived the charges, which was very generous of them.

Some post-repair images with the lens.

01-14-2020, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The story of the death and rebirth of the DA 55-300 PLM is told here: What to avoid with your 55-300 PLM lens! - PentaxForums.com

In short, I dropped the camera with the lens mounted (and hood in place) about half a metre (18") onto the steel deck of a boat in one of the most remote places I have ever been, in the wilds of south-west Tasmania. It hit lens hood first. The lens barrel snapped off at the base.

C R Kennedy sent it to Japan for repair. To my amazement it came back looking like new.

The repair report said, "repaired rear barrel, replace pc board, clean and test". The cost estimate was $A250-300, but because it took longer than expected CRK waived the charges, which was very generous of them.

Some post-repair images with the lens.

That's a great story and those pictures are amazing!
01-15-2020, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The story of the death and rebirth of the DA 55-300 PLM is told here:

Yes, these modern "plastic" bodied lenses can be disappointingly fragile

I was "fortunate" in that when I dropped my Samsung NX5 with it's "kit" 18-55mm mounted only the lens-mount itself snapped and I was able to simply super-glue all the bits back into place. This experience certainly emphasised to me the reason manufacturers supply neck-straps for their cameras