Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2020, 02:21 PM - 4 Likes   #1

It's Pentax week on DPReview

The guys at DPReview made a review of the Pentax DA* 11-18mm F2.8, as the first in what they call Pentax Week.

Last edited by danielmcc123; 01-15-2020 at 02:32 PM.
01-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What are findings of this video?
01-15-2020, 02:44 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's nice to see a largely positive DPR review of the lens. I can't shake the feeling that they're trying to shake DPR's Pentax-negative reputation... and the closing comments around third party lens manufacturers having ditched K-mount a few years ago sounded a little like "hopefully this lens is good enough for you, because you don't have any other choice"... but I suspect that's just my doubtful nature at work.

Thanks for posting the link
01-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
They like the lens, except their copy has soft corners.

01-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
That it's a well-built, pro-grade lens that focuses quickly, benefits from the focus clamping feature, is sharp enough in the centre but too soft in the corners - even when stopped down.
01-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting to see what else they share. I'm surprised that the corner performance was seen as lacking. I didn't watch the review full-screen on my monitor and am not saying that the review was inaccurate; I assumed that the lens would not have these difficulties.
01-15-2020, 02:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

There's at least one owner here - if you see this, please share your impressions (and perhaps a sample or two) about the supposed* corner sharpness issue.

* until confirmed by an independent source.

01-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax ‘week’ wouldn’t it be nice if it included details on the K-new. Yes I am waiting for news.
01-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There's at least one owner here - if you see this, please share your impressions (and perhaps a sample or two) about the supposed* corner sharpness issue.

The copy of the 11-18 used last year in DPR's sample gallery has better corner performance than the one used in this video.
01-15-2020, 03:01 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it really is “Pentax Week” on DPR, I’d expect a CP+ preview of some sort... it’s that time...

Maybe Knew, maybe 70-200 f4, maybe 70-300 FF, who knows...

Maybe K1ii SE with a prism cover and preloaded settings :/

Whatever it is, I hope it’s more than the 11-18 and one other thing...

-Eric
01-15-2020, 03:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
and the closing comments around third party lens manufacturers having ditched K-mount a few years ago sounded a little like "hopefully this lens is good enough for you, because you don't have any other choice"... but I suspect that's just my doubtful nature at work.
My thought exactly.
01-15-2020, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Interesting to see what else they share. I'm surprised that the corner performance was seen as lacking. I didn't watch the review full-screen on my monitor and am not saying that the review was inaccurate; I assumed that the lens would not have these difficulties.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The copy of the 11-18 used last year in DPR's sample gallery has better corner performance than the one used in this video.
Clearly, this was a field test... which, of course, is valuable since it replicates what folks might see in actual use - but it doesn't tell the whole story. I'd like to see how the corners perform when using manual focus in magnified live view, focusing specifically on those corner areas. It wouldn't be unusual for a wide angle zoom lens to show some degree of field curvature, and that could be what's at play rather than a lack of sharpness. Of course, field curvature can be problematic, but if you know how it presents in a lens, you can often work with it by focusing at a different distance to balance the centre and corner resolution.

Plus... I note that we see just one corner presented here (or, at least, I think we do)... on just one copy of the lens.

I'm not saying DPR are wrong in their conclusion - just that more in-depth testing is required to reach it.

EDIT:

I just looked at our own in-depth staff review, and the sharpness tests show the corners to be pretty darned good (even wide open) for this class of lens:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-da-11-18mm-f28-ed-dc-aw/sharpness.html

It's worth noting our reviewer's comment "Focusing was performed by using focus peaking in live view" which supports my comments above. It's also worth noting that the findings suggest the lens was optimised for the wider end, though I have to say the review samples show good (if not mind-blowing) test results in the corners throughout the entire focal length range, IMHO...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-15-2020 at 04:43 PM.
01-15-2020, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DPR has a higher threshold of evidence for Pentax stuff among the audience here.

I’d guess we’d completely believe them if the test were of a Canikonysonic lens...

-Eric
01-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #14
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe they’re going to “rediscover” what we’ve known all along. Looking at their list of reviewed lenses show only this lens and the DA* 50 as having been reviewed since 2009.
01-15-2020, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
DPR has a higher threshold of evidence for Pentax stuff among the audience here.

I’d guess we’d completely believe them if the test were of a Canikonysonic lens...
I don't think it comes down to belief. I wouldn't rely on any single review of a product regardless of the source and the product brand... but I'm certainly cautious when DPR is reviewing or commenting on Pentax. Whether that's justified or not, I can't say for sure. Still, I appreciate their review. Taken in context with other reviews, it has value...