Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

D FA 28-105 WR in the extreme cold?

Hello all...

Wondering if anyone has experience with this lens in "extreme" cold? I prefer M primes, but have been using AF zooms in the cold here (Yukon) at -25c or so. Viewfinder gets too icy for good MF experience.

Have used my old FA 28-105mm F4-5.6 on the K-1 with decent results. Also playing around with F35-105. Realising they could be damaged by this level of cold, but... not as pricey as the DFA 28-105.

Anyway - what's the coldest anyone has tried with the DFA?

-n

01-20-2020, 03:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gdneil Quote
Hello all...

Wondering if anyone has experience with this lens in "extreme" cold? I prefer M primes, but have been using AF zooms in the cold here (Yukon) at -25c or so. Viewfinder gets too icy for good MF experience.

Have used my old FA 28-105mm F4-5.6 on the K-1 with decent results. Also playing around with F35-105. Realising they could be damaged by this level of cold, but... not as pricey as the DFA 28-105.

-n
Even the AW lenses are only rated to -10C.
01-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello all...

I'm not sure if he owns this specific lens, but member @MJKoski has plenty of experience working in these sorts of temperatures, as I recall. He may be able to advise...
01-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used the PLM and DA*50-135 in sub -15-20C temps with no issues on my old K-50 and KP. . I think the major issues are usually just about reduced battery life since Li-Ion batteries are not happy as temps drop

01-20-2020, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had mine out in temps around 0F with no issues.
01-21-2020, 01:15 AM   #6
Seb

Hi gdneil,

I had some issues with the AF on my 28-105 during a trip to Iceland last October. It became very unreliable when temperatures was below zero and it came back to life as soon as it was warm again. I switched to MF in this situations, because it was impossible to get AF confirmation from the camera. It seemed like the motor wasn't powerful enough to move the parts. Maybe my copy of the 28-105 has to tight tolerances that it has issues when contracting. I bought a 24-70 2.8 last month and hope that is more reliable in this situations.

This doesn't seem to be a general issue of this lens because I didn't find anything on the internet when I had this problems. I hope this helps.
01-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've shot with it around -10 C, my problem was the K-1 started metering wrongly for some reason after some time it started underexposing. I thought something was broken initially, must have been haze somewhere.

01-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what's the coldest anyone has tried with the DFA?
The D FA 28-105 seems to share some components with the older DA 18-135. After letting the camera and lens cool to ambient temperature for 45 minutes, I used it at -37C. The only problem you will have is keeping battery voltage up so the camera doesn't shut down. The AF motor, mirror mechanism and shutter don't seem to be affected.
01-22-2020, 02:02 AM   #9
Seb

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
I've shot with it around -10 C, my problem was the K-1 started metering wrongly for some reason after some time it started underexposing. I thought something was broken initially, must have been haze somewhere.
Haze could be the reason for the problems I had, too. Otherwise it would have happened right after the warm(ish) lens came into a cold environment, right? In my case it worked good for a while until it stopped moving the af motor long enough to get af confirmation.
01-22-2020, 08:15 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

RGlasel already replied with -37C experience and it is more extreme what I have tried with DFA-lens. DFA 15-30 WR worked nicely @ -29C as long as photographer and batteries worked (hours). AF became a "bit stiff" (as with all lenses) but I used MF all the time. No experience with 28-105 WR.

In general all lenses I have tried have worked down to -35C fine when doing things manually. Canon, Nikon, Sony A/FE, Zeiss and Pentax. But...be aware of focus-by-wire lenses as they use AF-motor to focus even when focusing manually!!! For example Sony 16-35/4 FE became very slow to focus below -30C but it did focus after a short delay.

Modern Samyang lenses can be troublemakers. I have experienced aperture jam with 10/2.8 and 35/1.4 PK-lenses lenses due to spring loaded aperture lever action failing / getting stuck in moderately cold temperatures. This has not happened with my older Samyang lenses before when I used Nikon gear. Someone is saving costs clearly these days...
01-22-2020, 05:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
RGlasel already replied with -37C experience and it is more extreme what I have tried with DFA-lens. DFA 15-30 WR worked nicely @ -29C as long as photographer and batteries worked (hours). AF became a "bit stiff" (as with all lenses) but I used MF all the time. No experience with 28-105 WR.

In general all lenses I have tried have worked down to -35C fine when doing things manually. Canon, Nikon, Sony A/FE, Zeiss and Pentax. But...be aware of focus-by-wire lenses as they use AF-motor to focus even when focusing manually!!! For example Sony 16-35/4 FE became very slow to focus below -30C but it did focus after a short delay.

Modern Samyang lenses can be troublemakers. I have experienced aperture jam with 10/2.8 and 35/1.4 PK-lenses lenses due to spring loaded aperture lever action failing / getting stuck in moderately cold temperatures. This has not happened with my older Samyang lenses before when I used Nikon gear. Someone is saving costs clearly these days...
Thanks everyone for the info... Might try MF lenses again - just had trouble keeping ice off the viewfinder and such. Was trying to figure out if I could rationalise purchase of a 28-105
- primarily for cold usage, but holding off I think. But then now it's up to -18, so no longer in "extreme" territory. Ha...
01-22-2020, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Last February I was in Whitehorse, Yukon to photograph the Yukon Quest Dog Sled Race. The race started at -35 degrees celsius. As official photographers we were required to be at the start line 30 minutes prior to the start. I was shooting with two cameras, K3 Mark II and a K1 Mark II. My K3 was sporting the DFA 24-70 lens and my K1 was sporting a Sigma 70-200 OS lens. Both cameras and lenses were white from the cold. Both camera and lenses worked flawlessly, although the batteries were a bit of a challenge. Good thing I had lots of extras. At the cold temperatures the lenses worked well, but the zoom rings were stiff to adjust. All I can say is that I was truly impressed with how the equipment handled the extreme weather. A collection of images taken at Yukon Quest can be found at Collection: Yukon Quest
01-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the link, Bob. I worked at Faro in the mid-70s at the Cyprus-Anvil lead/zinc mine. Your Flickr pix brought me right back there.
01-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have a lot of DA screw drive lenses and I have used them often in below 0F temperatures. My Sigma HSM lenses with the motors get very slow and don't always focus in extreme cold. I can't comment on the lenses you mention because I don't have them but I did have an F35-70 that was fine in the cold. Again, screw drive. My Sigma screw drive lenses work well in the cold also. I have them outside for hours when I'm shooting motorcycle ice racing.
01-27-2020, 04:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Thanks for the link, Bob. I worked at Faro in the mid-70s at the Cyprus-Anvil lead/zinc mine. Your Flickr pix brought me right back there.
Funny that Faro references keep appearing... Actually that's where I am... A bit more empty than in the 1970s.

---------- Post added 01-27-20 at 07:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have a lot of DA screw drive lenses and I have used them often in below 0F temperatures. My Sigma HSM lenses with the motors get very slow and don't always focus in extreme cold. I can't comment on the lenses you mention because I don't have them but I did have an F35-70 that was fine in the cold. Again, screw drive. My Sigma screw drive lenses work well in the cold also. I have them outside for hours when I'm shooting motorcycle ice racing.
Great then, I'll stick with MF or screw drive - and avoid the lenses with motors. Thanks.