Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2020, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #1

Super-Takumar 55 1:1.8 with case

Well the thrift stores were kind to me again. Just picked up this great lens with the case for a whole $8! If I am not mistaken, I believe I was told this is one of 2 lenses that originally came with the Pentax S.

Attached Images

Last edited by Rejd; 01-25-2020 at 09:55 PM.
01-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rejd Quote
Well the thrift stores were kind to me again. Just picked up this great lens with the case for a whole $8! If I am not mistaken, I believe I was told this is one of 2 lenses that originally came with the Pentax S.
Nice find!
01-27-2020, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

A wonderful find, the ST 55/f1.8 is an underrated gem of a lens!

If I am not mistaken, I believe I was told this is one of 2 lenses that originally came with the Pentax S.
I believe you are mistaken As I understand it, the Pentax S came with either the Takumar 55/f2.2 or the Takumar 55/f1.8 (not the later 'Super Takumar').

The Super Takumar variant came with the SV and the some Super S2's.
01-27-2020, 05:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sweet deal!

01-27-2020, 07:57 AM   #5

This looks like a first version Super-Takumar, that came bundled with either Pentax SV or Spotmatic 1 back in the day.
The only uncommon thing about your find is the leather case. While cases for non-standard lenses are common.
01-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ok great. Thanks for all the info! Iíve been learning lots. Still feel it was a great buy for $8.

Iíll keep my eyes open for the Takumar 55 1.8 to go with my S!
01-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe I was told this is one of 2 lenses that originally came with the Pentax S.
Nope, though though the "flat" focus knurling along with fine ridges on the aperture ring hint that you might have a different rarity/oddity. Is f/16 to the right on the aperture ring? Does it have a dot rather than a diamond as an index mark? This earliest type ST 55/1.8 was an apparent short run with a unique combination of parts (body from v2 Auto Takumar with aperture ring from v1 Auto Takumar) from earlier lenses.

See first on left in the second row (my lens ) for comparison...

This type only came to the attention of members here a few years ago and may have been sold bundled with SV/HV, S1/H1, or S3/H3 models.

Steve
01-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well the thrift stores were kind to me again. Just picked up this great lens with the case for a whole $8!
BTW...that case looks a little large for a ST 55/1.8. Might there be something a little larger (85mm?) lurking elsewhere on the shelf of the shop?

Steve

01-30-2020, 09:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nope, though though the "flat" focus knurling along with fine ridges on the aperture ring hint that you might have a different rarity/oddity. Is f/16 to the right on the aperture ring? Does it have a dot rather than a diamond as an index mark? This earliest type ST 55/1.8 was an apparent short run with a unique combination of parts (body from v2 Auto Takumar with aperture ring from v1 Auto Takumar) from earlier lenses.

See first on left in the second row (my lens ) for comparison...

This type only came to the attention of members here a few years ago and may have been sold bundled with SV/HV, S1/H1, or S3/H3 models.

Steve
Thanks very much. That is a great reference. Mine appears to be the Interm version.

---------- Post added 01-30-20 at 09:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...that case looks a little large for a ST 55/1.8. Might there be something a little larger (85mm?) lurking elsewhere on the shelf of the shop?

Steve

Yes the case does seem a bit big. There were not other lenses there.