Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
any one have experience with a SMC Pentax A* 200mm F2.8 ED

looking for advice about it and whether it is a good lens to pursue

last review was 9 years ago

SMC Pentax A* 200mm F2.8 ED Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I already have the larger, heavier and newer HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW

Read more at: Pentax D FA Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

01-28-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi.

I've had one for a number of years now and I just love it. I've always shot manual focus so that part is fine by me. The sample I have shows what might be some edge separation combined with some "pixie dust" speckles which is the way that I bought it. I was given full disclosure and the price was a bit lower than a more perfect specimen might have cost.
What a lens! Compact but reassuringly solid to anyone who's used to larger cameras, like medium format film bodies. On a K-3 II (see photo) it balances well and with crop sensor it makes a nice focal length for close or mid range birding, or picking out distant compositions for landscape. High resolution but with smooth and pleasing bokeh. Fast enough for a reasonably bright viewfinder. I've played with it a bit on my new K-1 II and things are looking great, just as I've got fine results on various film bodies.
I've never owned the FA* so I can't compare them, but autofocus might be an asset, your call. Some people prefer the finish on the manual model.
Anyhow, great lens and I have no plans for selling mine.
Cheers, Derek.

Oops, I guess the shot of the Whisky-Jack was done on my KS-2.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 

Last edited by Derek; 01-28-2020 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Error in message.
01-28-2020, 10:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also have it and it is, without doubt, my best manual focus lens. It's light enough, very well built, outstanding optics and very easy to focus. The last is what makes me favour it before the A* 85mm, which is in the same league in all other aspects.

I use mine for concerts and theatre, for landscape and even for portraits. I can recommend it fulllheartedly, but I can't compare it to the FA* or DA* varieties since I've never tried any of those.

Kjell

Last edited by bilybianca; 01-29-2020 at 01:17 PM.
01-29-2020, 05:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you don't mind manual focus it is a wonderful lens on the K1 (I haven't used it on APSC)!
I got my copy in a perfect condition a few month ago from a Japanese seller, so transportation cost and import fees added to the price but I am very happy.

01-29-2020, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I've had one for a number of years...since way back in the film days..and even though it's a great lens, I found myself not carrying it as much as I thought I would. That was primarily due to its physical size and filter size. All the other lenses in my bag took 49mm or 52mm filters except my 200mm f2.8 so I would tend to carry my M200mm f4 a lot more often...especially since speed wasn't really much of a factor in the types of things I liked to shoot. These days, even though it's a lot heavier and bulkier than the 200mm, I tend to carry my 80-200 f2.8 due to its versatility. Since some of my lesser used lenses from the film days saw a rebirth once I switched to digital, I keep thinking that I need to dust off the 200mm f2.8 and try it again, but I haven't done that yet. This thread might be just the nudge I was needing though.
01-29-2020, 06:55 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have this lens and really like it. It is sharp, the bokeh is very pleasing, and it handles well. it's definitely a keeper.
01-29-2020, 07:18 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for the responses

now I just have to convince the spouse

01-29-2020, 08:31 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I strongly believe that there will be zero benefits optically for the A* 200. Past shooting experience makes me think the lens is similar in performance to the FA* and DA* 200's. However, all of my comparisons were on crop it long ago on film.

When I owned the FA* 80-200 I demonstrated to myself that the zoom out shot the prime. The FA* 200 was slightly worse in CA primarily, although bokeh seemed slightly better on the zoom also.

The DFA 70-210 by all accounts is a better lens than the FA* 80-200. I haven't made a direct comparison, so take my words with that caution.
01-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I strongly believe that there will be zero benefits optically for the A* 200. . . . When I owned the FA* 80-200 I demonstrated to myself that the zoom out shot the prime. . . . The DFA 70-210 by all accounts is a better lens than the FA* 80-200. I haven't made a direct comparison, so take my words with that caution.
interesting thank you

I was taught back in the days of film that generally primes were better than the zooms

Yet I know that today's zoom can be very very good

and there is the size and weight difference as well

Diam x Length 91 x 138 mm Weight 850 g

Read more at: SMC Pentax A* 200mm F2.8 ED Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Diam x Length
91.5 x 203 mm (3.6 x 8 in.) Weight 1755 g (61.9 oz.) w/ Hood: +80g w/ Tripod Foot: +191g

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

yet, I have no complaints about the D FA * 700-200mm [ outside of my Operator Error faults ]

" is a puzzlement "

01-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Past shooting experience makes me think the lens is similar in performance to the FA* and DA* 200's.
I haven't used those, but checking the lens database here, they look quite different optically. I feel like I read mixed reviews of the DA* 200, but the A* 200 seems to have a pretty enthusiastic fan base, but that of course could be just the dumb luck of what threads I remembered for whatever reason. I'd love to get my hands on a DA* 200 to compare, as it's a lens I was casually looking for when I stumbled across my A* 200 at a price I couldn't pass up.

A* 200:

DA* 200:

01-31-2020, 08:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I haven't used those, but checking the lens database here, they look quite different optically. I feel like I read mixed reviews of the DA* 200, but the A* 200 seems to have a pretty enthusiastic fan base, but that of course could be just the dumb luck of what threads I remembered for whatever reason. I'd love to get my hands on a DA* 200 to compare, as it's a lens I was casually looking for when I stumbled across my A* 200 at a price I couldn't pass up.

A* 200:

DA* 200:
I agree the lenses are not identical. However most A series including * lenses suffer from purple fringing on digital. My main point is that I doubt the small leap if any in quality would be noticed. In the FA* zoom vs DA* Prime the zoom win in my own testing so the actual performance is more about lens design than just zoom vs prime.

As for weight I completely agree.

I don't wish to suggest there isn't any rational possibility that this could work, I just would not expect any real improvements over the very fine DFA* lens.
01-31-2020, 10:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have no complaints about the D FA * 70-200mm
In that case, it "is a puzzlement" why you are considering the A * 200. I don't have either, but there is plenty of evidence that the D FA * 70-200 is the sharpest, highest IQ Pentax zoom on the market, with better auto-focus than any other FF K-mount glass at 200mm. If you don't mind her size or weight, why do you want to cheat on her? Do you hate auto-focus that much?
02-01-2020, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
In that case, it "is a puzzlement" why you are considering the A * 200.
the answer is simple

I found one for sale and thought

" hmm, a star lens I know nothing about

time to seek knowledge "

the reviews seem nice

SMC Pentax A* 200mm F2.8 ED Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

why not learn about it

the star lens general " reputation " made it interesting

the weight difference between it and the D FA zoom made it interesting

so I asked about it in this thread

Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why - PentaxForums.com

and got no response

so I started the current thread

now I have knowledge about the lens

[ and so do others who come across this thread ]

will I buy one ?

not with what I know now

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-01-2020 at 05:58 AM.
02-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I found one for sale and thought" hmm, a star lens I know nothing abouttime to seek knowledge "
Nothing wrong with seeking knowledge, I was just thinking about your poor D FA * 70-200 and its hurt feelings. All good now.
02-01-2020, 10:16 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Nothing wrong with seeking knowledge, I was just thinking about your poor D FA * 70-200 and its hurt feelings. All good now.
it didn't know I was looking

but now that you let the cat out of the bag - - -