Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I've always never really liked the 35mm. I get some really good shots with it, but often feels like the wrong lens for the job.

I really like the 50mm 1.8, but I wonder about it for a portrait lens, I've always thought something a little longer would be a little more aesthetically pleasing.

Definitely interested in the DA version of the 70mm, definitely a great budget option but the HD coatings are so nice.
I have the SMC version and it is astonishing. Quite quick too at f2.4. Doesn’t the HD just give you better flare resistance? Would that be an issue for portraits? (Portraits are on my list for this year) Matthias burling, the YouTube guy prefers SMC. I believe the difference is negligible. The lens itself though is just a peach. I have used mine on a K3, KP and a K30 and it always exceeds expectation

01-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have the SMC version and it is astonishing. Quite quick too at f2.4. Doesn’t the HD just give you better flare resistance? Would that be an issue for portraits? (Portraits are on my list for this year) Matthias burling, the YouTube guy prefers SMC. I believe the difference is negligible. The lens itself though is just a peach. I have used mine on a K3, KP and a K30 and it always exceeds expectation
I have the SMC 15 and it's true, it is a cracking good lens.

Not a lot of flares for portraits indoors, unless you have really poor lighting. Hrm, looks like the DA 70mm might be the ticket.
01-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the SMC DA 70, a FA 77 and Samyang 85mm.

The 77 is fantastic on the K-1 and apart from some purple fringing sometimes has superb IQ (and in particular bokeh). To my eyes I think the 77 does have an edge over the 70 for bokeh rendering.

The 70 I typically use on my K-5 and K-01 as I think in some ways it is a better fit for APS-C than the 77. Its quite a bit smaller, and generally doesn't show CA or fringing issues (which seem to be a bit more noticeable with the 77 on a crop sensor),

If wide open bokeh is not the most important factor to you then probably the DA 70 will be a good fit (and still has very good bokeh anyway). The Samyang 85 is no slouch though, and apart from not having AF, has similar wide open sharpness (but the 70 and 77 are a little bit sharper at f5.6 than the Samyang at f5.6 on my copies).
01-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I have the SMC DA 70, a FA 77 and Samyang 85mm.

The 77 is fantastic on the K-1 and apart from some purple fringing sometimes has superb IQ (and in particular bokeh). To my eyes I think the 77 does have an edge over the 70 for bokeh rendering.

The 70 I typically use on my K-5 and K-01 as I think in some ways it is a better fit for APS-C than the 77. Its quite a bit smaller, and generally doesn't show CA or fringing issues (which seem to be a bit more noticeable with the 77 on a crop sensor),

If wide open bokeh is not the most important factor to you then probably the DA 70 will be a good fit (and still has very good bokeh anyway). The Samyang 85 is no slouch though, and apart from not having AF, has similar wide open sharpness (but the 70 and 77 are a little bit sharper at f5.6 than the Samyang at f5.6 on my copies).
Yeah, I have that 85 as well. I quite like it, but the manual focus will be a deal breaker if I'm taking a bunch of busy people's head shot.

01-30-2020, 05:41 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely interested in the DA version of the 70mm, definitely a great budget option but the HD coatings are so nice.
It's not a huge difference - the DA70 has just 6 elements in 5 groups, a rather small number of surfaces. Flare control and contrast are very good with the smc version already. I remember being a bit disappointed by the 50/1.8 not being on the same level, despite their optical similarity.
01-30-2020, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The better question is how much space you have to work in. Are you using lights?

1) your subject will likely be positioned at least 3 or 5 ft from wall.
2) your DA 70 Ltd needs at least 15 feet of working distance from subject for a bust shot. (105mm fov)
3) your FA 77 Ltd needs even more distance. (115mm fov)

Shoot with some breathing room around subject to accommodate various print crop aspect ratios.

If your headshot space is a room at least 25 ft you can get away with a short tele.

My favourite crop portrait lens is the DA*55/1.4. If you have the 50 mm you are already set.
01-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
They are both wonderful lenses, and in the ideal focal length range for head shots on a crop camera. If the FA77 is stretching your budget, the DA70 will do you proud.
I have both and I agree. The DA 70mm is the traditional FOV for portrait, while the FA 77mm is great for getting candids on the sly. I have also used it for closeups of bees landing on flowers, for instance. Great bokeh. It is also small so as not to be too disturbing, and again, you don't have to get as close. Both lenses are very sharp. If you have need for edge-to-edge sharpness at wider apertures, the DA 70mm will deliver with its HD coatings. You can also get more into the background, and with fine bokeh with its rounded blades,

01-30-2020, 10:41 PM   #23
Pentaxian

How are you working with your 85? Wide open? If so, stretch for the 77. Otherwise the 70 will be fine.
01-31-2020, 01:18 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My pennies (cent ;-) ) worth, albeit on FF ... I love the 77 for headshots. The character/IQ is gorgeous, but what I found very impressive was the ability for focus to be found in low, ambient light. With flash (eg speedlight) and therefore no modelling lights, the ambient light is all there is to obtain focus, before the burst of flash. Finding the focus with the 77/K-1 has been pretty much flawless. No idea about how the DA70 would perform ...
01-31-2020, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Disclaimer... Im not a portrait guy.But years ago when I worked for a pharma company they asked me to do their headshots.. talk about nerve racking. This was film era. I took film shots of all the execs. I never took headshots before and practiced for weeks. It went well... they were happy and I became the official photographer for any company functions. It was unpaid and saved them money and I believe it saved me through several rounds of layoffs until I moved on of my own accord. oh.. though unpaid I did eventually have an equipment budget and still have that gear today.Fresh out of college that was a boon.

Though I cant recommend one lens over the other I can recommend doing what ever it takes to do the absolute best job here. If you feel that means getting a different lens.. do that. Rent or buy one. The budget may be limited but doing a very professional job here may pay off immensely down the road. Im sure you intuitively know that already I just wanted to bring the practical aspects of shooting for the guys that sign your check into the discussion.

Also if I had not been so naive, inexperienced and just plain young at the time... I would have negotiated better when asked to take those shots.Maybe could have gotten them to spring for better gear... Instead I was so amazed to be asked I just said "sure".
Al
01-31-2020, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clearly the solution is getting an AF-equipped Pentax SLR, a copy of the DA 70, and a few rolls of Kodak Portra 400.
01-31-2020, 06:34 AM   #27
Pentaxian

As others have said, either will work well. The 77 gets more love, and with good reason, plus if you ever decide to go FF you'll be all set, but there is nothing wrong with the 70. Corner sharpness will be better, price will be lower, it will only lack a bit of that pixie dust.

I disagree with the opinion that the 77 needs a FF camera to shine. It's wonderful whatever the sensor.
01-31-2020, 07:56 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would guess that the DA 50 might be more flexible due to being a bit shorter. For me the 50 and the 70 are the same type of lens even if they render differently.

People do nice portraits with shorter lenses these days. The 70 does have a very nice look for portraits however.
01-31-2020, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

I work remotely for a company in New York. They recently saw some portraits I did as part of a photo club meet up and liked them. I've been enlisted to do some head shots when I head down in a bit. I think it'll go well, but got me thinking it might be time for a dedicated portrait lens. I was shooting portraits with the 50mm DA 1.8, which I actually quite like with some flash support. I have the Rokinon 85mm; I love manual lenses, but the lack of auto focus here is a deal killer. Thinking either the 70mm or the 77mm would be great. Would love to go for the 77mm but that's stretching the budget a bit too thin.

I think the 70mm HD would be great but curious what others suggestions are. I don't need the extra aperture of the 77mm as these are corporate headshots, don't want or need a really thin depth of field. I plan to shoot around f4 or f5.6.
When I was shooting APS-C, I didn't see any difference between the two lenses in general photography. Both are very nice. I'm not going to read the entire thread, but I am sure that there are posts about the 77mm and pixie dust. I've actually compared the 77mm and the original 70mm side by side and the only differences are a half stop and 7mm. Image wise, you won't be able to tell them apart.
01-31-2020, 08:16 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Clearly the solution is getting an AF-equipped Pentax SLR, a copy of the DA 70, and a few rolls of Kodak Portra 400.
Ha! I have such a camera.

Honestly if I was going to do film, I'd be breaking out the 645, my 150mm lens and some Portra 400.