Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2021, 05:05 AM   #16

Go here and type in 101325588 for the patent number

Patent < SEARCH - KIPRIS(Korea Intellectual Property Rights Information Service)

The Japan Patent numbers are given so you should be able to find the International or US Patents by cross-referencing.

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-15-2021 at 05:11 AM.
05-15-2021, 06:05 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
The automatic translation is not that bad, because I suffer from headache when reading
it and this a normal behavier when reading a patent. So it worked. :-D
Unfortunatly it did not translate the table at the end of the document, sigh.
However, better than nothing.

My next problem I need to know /or to do, something like this for the MFT protokoll,
because it was my idea to build a converter to use Pentax lens on MFT and
MFT is more complex, because it is newer and works with 500kbit. So I expect
it will transmit much more data.

Olaf
05-15-2021, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Darkover Quote
I think that would helpful if I could read it. :-(

Is there nobody here that can at least translate the table at the end?

I would not ask for a complete translation, because I have to read German
patent from time to time and I know that reading a patent would screw up your brain. :-)

Olaf
US8102430B2 - Interchangeable lens and lens-data communication method - Google Patents
05-15-2021, 07:29 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think the continuity check was introduced with the Kseries DSLRs.
You may be correct. There were definitely issues with non-conductive bases in regards to catch-in-focus and a couple of other features with some of those KxxD and KxxxD bodies. A new set cropped up on the K-30/K-50 as well as on the K-3 and thought at the time was that the check was through the data pin on the body. I just checked my K-3 and shorting any of the body contacts will work, so it appears the thinking from eight years ago was off-base.

That said, the comment was related to the OP's statement that the "data" pin was used for power transmission in their testing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
This is overall an interesting discussion. And while it flys in the case of long held assumptions, facts speak for themselves
Indeed, though one person's observations without a second's to confirm is fact in the context of their report alone.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-16-2021 at 09:57 AM.
05-15-2021, 08:40 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is very helpful.

For those who may not know...this is the patent for control/communication of the original DA* SDM lenses. The KA2 KAF and KAF2 mounts had been existence for several years at this point, so the patent builds on prior art regarding the two power and seven mount contacts.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-15-2021 at 09:00 PM.
05-15-2021, 11:55 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For those who may not know...this is the patent for control/communication of the original DA* SDM lenses. The KA2 KAF and KAF2 mounts had been existence for several years at this point, so the patent builds on prior art regarding the two power and seven mount contacts.
I agree, it is helpful.

About "prior art": For me (and I hold two patents, too) it is always a deep secret
what you can make a patent and what not. I had some interesting talks with the
patent attorney in my company and they think the USA is very strange and special

And in these days a patent is only a kind of card deck in a poker game that huge
company play with with each other.

So for me the next thing is now to take a closer look to MFT, sigh.

Olaf
05-16-2021, 02:30 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Excellent find!

05-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So for me the next thing is now to take a closer look to MFT, sigh.
I think what you may find in regards to MTF is that the information is stored in a lookup table in the camera firmware and matched by the lens id code polled from the lens (also included in the makernote section of the image EXIF metadata). As far as history goes, the earliest body that I am aware of that supports program line by MTF was the Z-1/PZ-1 in 1991. To simplify your inquiry, you may want to work with an FA-series lens of that vintage and a Z-1 body.

Good luck!

Steve
05-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #24
Pentaxian

My next problem I need to know /or to do, something like this for the MFT protokoll, because it was my idea to build a converter to use Pentax lens on MFT and MFT is more complex, because it is newer and works with 500kbit.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think what you may find in regards to MTF is that the information is stored in a lookup table in the camera firmware and matched by the lens id code polled from the lens (also included in the makernote section of the image EXIF metadata).

As far as history goes, the earliest body that I am aware of that supports program line by MTF was the Z-1/PZ-1 in 1991.
Darkover did write and mean MFT (Micro Four Thirds), not Modulation Transfer Function.

The MTF data is stored inside the lens. That's the reason why F* Lenses don't offer the use of MTF-Mode:
QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
  • MTF information is communicated by the lens, not stored by the camera. Pentax F lenses do not provide this information and therefore do not support the MTF program line. The lens communication protocol was expanded in the FA series to add MTF information. MTF program line is available when using FA, FA J, D FA, DA, and DA L lenses, including all modern Pentax lenses.
  • Because MTF information is communicated by the lens, third-party lenses can support MTF, as suggested by this thread.
Technical notes on the MTF program line - PentaxForums.com
MTF program mode, w00t ! - PentaxForums.com
MTF Question - PentaxForums.com
F-Series Lens with MTF P-Line on PZ-1? - PentaxForums.com
mtf data in older Pentax lenses - PentaxForums.com
05-16-2021, 02:46 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Darkover did write and mean MFT (Micro Four Thirds), not Modulation Transfer Function.
Oops...so they did!

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The MTF data is stored inside the lens. That's the reason why F* Lenses don't offer the use of MTF-Mode:
Fair enough, though the explanation may just as well be that Pentax found it useful to body support for older than FA lenses. As for bwDraco's comments, those are inference that I chose to not comment on at the time.

BTW...I found the MTF program on the PZ-1 to be rather interesting in its simplicity...

Name:  mtf_program.png
Views: 186
Size:  28.3 KB

I will admit to some bias here in that if I were designing to a protocol with limited bandwidth, I would put as little burden on the polled entity as possible.

Steve