Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #1

Want a new lens

hello

I have plans to buy a new lens, and i want to ask you in Pentaxforums to help me.
what do you think I should put in this collection next?
k200d
DA 18-55
DA 50-200
-M 40 f2,8
-M 50 f1,7
Vivitar extender

PS I have tried the "normal" FA lenses and donīt like the build of them, so please recommend some others. With this I dont mean the FA limited

10-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm... what do you want to do with your new lens?

I mean - do you want a longer lens? A wider one? A faster one? Better image quality?

What's your price range?

If you just want to try something different, maybe a 90, 100 or 105mm macro lens? That you could also use for portraits?

More information will help us help you.
10-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

what kind of focal length are you most interested in using?
10-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #4

Well, only you can really answer that question.

Do you feel like you need something on the wide side or on the long side?

You don't have any specialty lenses like a macro or a fisheye. Are you interested in this type of photography?

If you answer these questions it will be much easier for us to help you out.

10-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't know how I can answer that question because what would be best for me has nothing to do with what's best for you.

You should ask yourself: what pictures did I want to take but couldn't because I didn't have the right lens? Then: what's the best lens to take those pictures?
10-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hello again

I am not so interesting in a long lens because I see that i dont use my 50-200mm that much, but maybe a portrait lens could be a option, but I just take a little bit portraits.

I almost not use my 40mm because I have the 50mm and like that one better.

I feel like i am missing a real macro, and I use my 50mm with extender or this lens backwards when I want macro.

I have also think about a new standard lens that will be connected most to the camera for snapshots.

I have seen a little bit on the DA35, but I have not decided yet.

max price: maybe 600$
10-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
You need an ultrawide!

I never felt like I was getting the most out of my setup till I bought the Sigma 14 f/2.8. 14 is way wider than the 18 you get with the kit lens, which I proptly threw in the trash. Maybe even consider a fisheye? I think that'll be my next LBA.
10-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by plunun Quote
I feel like i am missing a real macro, and I use my 50mm with extender or this lens backwards when I want macro.
I often ran into the close focus limitation with my lenses, and had to resort to using the macro mode on my P&S camera (which I carry with me everywhere). But that was annoying because the P&S only goes into macro mode at extreme wide angle, and focusing was very problematic.

I tried carrying an extension tube around with me, but it was a lot of hassle to deal with because I was frequently switching between macro and normal photos.

I tried bringing a +4 closeup "filter" along, and that worked decently well, but it did degrade the image a bit and it still had a limited range of working distances.

In August I bought the DA35 Macro and now it stays on my camera almost all the time. I love being able to take any shot I want without having to worry about how close the subject is. And the great quality of the images is a wonderful bonus!

10-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by plunun Quote
Hello again

I am not so interesting in a long lens because I see that i dont use my 50-200mm that much, but maybe a portrait lens could be a option, but I just take a little bit portraits.

I almost not use my 40mm because I have the 50mm and like that one better.

I have also think about a new standard lens that will be connected most to the camera for snapshots.

I have seen a little bit on the DA35, but I have not decided yet.

max price: maybe 600$
For a lot less you could get an M50/4.0 or A50/2.8 macro. Both are 1:2 (50%) magnification and (in my opinion) provide a more convenient FOV/focal length for macro than the DA35 and also a good focal length for pictures of people.

Of course, 35mm is a more convenient focal length for other things. . .
10-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think that the Sigma 70/2.8 macro could kill 2 birds with one stone--good portrait length and 1:1 macro. I don't have this lens myself, but those that do have it rave about it.

If you're looking to go wider, but don't think you'll need ultrawide, then consider upgrading your kit lens to the DA16-45. It's a nice lightweight lens that you can easily walk around with. If you don't mind a gently used one, you can find one in the Marketplace for well under $300. If you do want ultrawide and can afford to spend upwards of $700 for a new one, then the DA12-24 is an excellent choice. I did have one of these, but it was a bit too wide for my shooting style, so I traded it for the 16-45, which I think will be a better fit for me.

I will also second the DA35 as a great walkaround prime for it's sheer versatility and build.

HTH,
Heather
10-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #11

I would say Pentax DA 12-24mm F/4, or if you want a great macro I have a Vivitar Series 1 105mm for sale in the market place