Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 70-210mm problems

So I bought this zoom lens along with several others. I've used it quite a bit, though I put it down for over a year when my photography classes went all digital. Although it's not my favorite lens, it's still quite useful.

It has this black gunk coming out from underneath the outer barrel. There's also a clear lining underneath it. I think it's a felt lining meant to keep the lens able to extend smoothly.

I'm not sure I even want this lens fixed, to be honest. However, I wanted a second opinion.

So what can I do for this lens? Should I just retire it permanantly?

10-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Does the gunk affect image quality? If not, ignore it, since you don't otherwise seem to be emotionally attached to the lens...
10-25-2008, 01:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Does the gunk affect image quality?
It doesn't, but it inhibits my ability to adjust the focal length.
10-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jadedrakerider Quote
It doesn't, but it inhibits my ability to adjust the focal length.
Ahh, interesting. I guess it's a little hard to visualize the problem exactly, but if you don't want to get the lens repaired, and are thinking of just retiring it, then it sounds like you don't have much to lose. So you could considering "trimming" off whatever is sticking out, or performing more extensive "surgery."

10-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

EWWW! I don't know anything about how to fix a lens, so I can't say whether or not it could be fixed. If it were me, I'd just chunk it and start over. I noticed in your profile that you have a couple of film bodies, so you're planning on using this lens with those bodies, then I would highly recommend the F70-210/4-5.6, as it is sharp and has an aperture ring, to boot.

Info on the lens itself:
F 70-210/4-5.6 ED
Pics taken with the lens:
Pentax smc P-F 70-210mm f/4-5.6 Lens Sample Photos and Specifications

Used ones tend to go in the $225 range.

HTH,
Heather
11-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
...has an aperture ring, to boot.
Hey, thanks everybody. I found out what the black gunky stuff was. Turns out it was paint. I'm guessing that it started coming off (maybe it melted?) then got under the barrel from use and ended up getting mixed up with what looks like a felt ring under the lens. I got a bit brave after I removed the felt ring, so I took rubbing alcohol to the barrel and it came right off.

It works a lot better now! I'll probably put it up to buy. Doesn't look pretty, but the glass is great.

What do you think?