Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #1

k20d + not excellent lens

i read that using k20d i must pay attention: i must have only good-excellent lens because the k20d's sensor is big (14megapixel).

so, if i cannot use the same lens that i can use with a k10d?

it is real?

10-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I wouldn't say that ... what I would say is that you will get more out of your better lenses than you did on the K10D. With the larger MP sensor ... you will get more detail in the areas where in-focus will become out of focus ... it will be smoother ... and detail will be higher.

Not sure what differences you will see with your kit lens though ... but I hazard a guess around f/8 it will be noticable.

I'd love to true my old excellent Super takumar lenses on a K20D ... I just know it will make these lenses really shine ... but so far ... I am very impressed with using them on my K10D ... and they still really produce some amazing images.

When i go shooting ... I shoot for the images ... not the pixels.
10-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by platinum Quote
i read that using k20d i must pay attention: i must have only good-excellent lens because the k20d's sensor is big (14megapixel).

so, if i cannot use the same lens that i can use with a k10d?

it is real?
You need a good lens because the K20d's sensor is small (APS-C)!

If you were using a film camera or a full-frame sensor with really high resolution you could use longer-focal-length lenses (often increasing resolution) and you wouldn't need to enlarge the image on the sensor so much (so you don't need as much resolution in the sensor image anyway).

As far as K10D versus K20D resolution, there's no need to worry. The K20d has about 40% more pixels, but only about 18% more pixels per mm; under most circumstances you're not going to see a difference in the final print/projection.

Ignoring focus accuracy issues, any lens that produces satisfactory images on K20D will produce satisfactory images on a K10D, and vice versa.