Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2007, 09:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Found an Albinar lens at the antique store...

Hey guys. I was at the antique store this morning and found this lens for $22.
It doesn't fit my K10D, and it's definitely not a screw-mount, so i'm guessing it's a Canon lens? Not sure. There's no designation on the box on what body it's for but it does say CA at the end of the serial number. It's a Albinar-ADG f/3.9 80-200mm--push/pull zoom, the lens is scratch free and it appears to be barely used at all. There's some fuzzy dust inside the glass but it's so tiny I doubt it will affect picture quality.

Anyway. One of the things I can't figure out with this lens is how to get the aperture blades to open close, I turn the dial that 'clicks' near the bottom (under the f-stop numbers) and nothing happens. No opening/closing of blades.

I'd like to sell it but I think i got a dud??
Help!!!

sorry a little blurry:

03-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yup its a Canon FD Breech Mount. Maybe its time to go old school and get an old Canon FD film camera? Canon ditched their FD mount and went to their EOS bayonent mount.

There are alot of FD lenses still floating around and very cheap. Stovepipes, Vivitar S1s, etc.
03-04-2007, 09:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
Darn.

So I guess no Canon user would want this?
03-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

To see the blades move, jiggle one of the doohickeys on the bottom of the lens.

03-04-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skydragoness Quote
Darn.

So I guess no Canon user would want this?
Well, I'm sure there are still those that shoot Canon AE film slrs. you can probably sell it on ebayfor the same price if not more. Or maybe you can ask to return the lens and say that it didn't fit your camera. Or ask for an exchange/store credit.

When looking for old lenses, make sure that it says for Pentax K Mount or has the "P/K" designation on the lens.
03-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Well, I'm sure there are still those that shoot Canon AE film slrs. you can probably sell it on ebayfor the same price if not more. Or maybe you can ask to return the lens and say that it didn't fit your camera. Or ask for an exchange/store credit.

When looking for old lenses, make sure that it says for Pentax K Mount or has the "P/K" designation on the lens.

Oh I brought my K10 into the store so I did test fit it. I bought it with knowing it wasn't for a Pentax but I figured because of the constant f stop I could sell it for more. But alas, I guess only us Pentax people are clamoring for old glass eh?
I'll be pleased to get what I paid for it.

QuoteQuote:
To see the blades move, jiggle one of the doohickeys on the bottom of the lens.

Which doohickey? i spend a good 10-15min on the couch watching tv, trying to press and turn things in combination to see if I could get the blades to move. I am certain the bottom ring that goes 'click-click' is the ring that does it, but nothing happens.
03-05-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The lens is probably fine. Just that the FD Mount has a awkward way of operating. Try googling to to see what you get.

03-05-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skydragoness Quote
Which doohickey? i spend a good 10-15min on the couch watching tv, trying to press and turn things in combination to see if I could get the blades to move. I am certain the bottom ring that goes 'click-click' is the ring that does it, but nothing happens.
There should be a tab, pin, lever,...something protruding from the body of the lens mount. Alternately look for a small slot. There has to be some way for the camera to keep the lens open for a nice bright viewfinder for focusing and framing but be able to stop it down for metering and shooting.
Pentax and Nikon (the two I'm familar with) have a spring loaded tab/pin that extends into the camera body to do this. Don't know about Canon but they have to have something!

NaCl(either lens into body or body into lens, but some sort of mechanical connection)H2O