Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2020, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Please explain why someone can become addicted to limited lens. I've seen the report sharpness is not that great, max aperture is average, screwdrive, there are very small lenses all metal, they are stylish okay but what is that so different in the image produced compared to a non limited lens?
well, some people like them

why

I hope you enjoy reading

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 23 - PentaxForums.com

02-11-2020, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The DA 15 is a great lens. A longtime favorite of mine on crop.
If that is still too expensive, check out the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower primes that you can get in 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, or 14mm. They are great for the price and will give you a feel for this kind of shooting without breaking the bank. They are manual focus but when shooting wide that often isn't a big deal.
I have the 8/3.5 fisheye (crop) and the 14/2.8 (FF) and they have both served me well.
02-11-2020, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Please explain why someone can become addicted to limited lens. I've seen the report sharpness is not that great, max aperture is average, screwdrive, there are very small lenses all metal, they are stylish okay but what is that so different in the image produced compared to a non limited lens?
First of all: do not underestimqte the feel of a solid metal lense. It just has the right amount of density to feel valuable.
The lenses are not the sharpest or highest resolution or fastest lenses out there, but they are very good or the best at quality/(weight+size) ratio. The rendering ist mostly very good (personally not always a fan of the FA43) and there is some unique character to it. If I browse through picture I sometimes stumble over some where I immidiatly know they were taken with the FA77.
That being said, I came back to Pentax because of the limiteds, but I also like the new generation lenses (DFA50 / Sigma Art Series kind of lenses).

It is just the same reason why somebody envy Leica, it just feels a bit different.
02-11-2020, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Another vote for the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM. A really fine lens at reasonable price. I use mine regularly on my KP. Very well designed and fine image quality.

02-11-2020, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot depends on:

- what is important to you in a wide angle lens (e.g. moderate field curvature, flare resistance, distortion, build quality etc.)

- how wide do you want to go, i.e. how wide is "wide" to you?

- what kind of budget do you have?

I have a thing for wide-angle lenses, I have a lot and have tried many more - it's kind of hard to give solid recommendations without further info, but a few stars for APS-C are the DA 15, Sigma 8-16 and the Bower/Rokinon/Samyang 14 2.8 - all for different reasons.

I've also found that you can get a lot of copy variation with some wide angles - if you're communicating with a seller ask for some example shots to look for decentering.
02-11-2020, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigbaz Quote
I'm looking for recommendations that don't cost the earth but are optically sound

I shoot with the K70 and the KP
Until you define what you mean by not costing the earth, it's hard to know what to recommend.

Your thought about getting an old 28mm lens is not going to work. As already pointed out it will not give you a wide angle of view on your crop sensor cameras. You should be looking for something less than 24mm.

If you specifically mean rectilinear wide angles, then most of the good old ones are not cheap, because they were designed to be ultra-wides on film. You will probably be better served with more modern, designed-for-crop lenses like the DA 21/3.2 Limited or DA 15/4.0 Limited. Both produce beautiful images and are not too costly second hand.

But when is all said and done, the cheapest entry into the wider side would probably be the DA 18-55 kit lens....
02-11-2020, 09:34 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Until I bought the 15 I didnít really get it. Maybe not the sharpest but colors seem more true, images have life or punch to them, more contrast. Many other lenses produce images that look flat, the limited ,lens rendering is the opposite. And they are small in comparison to similar focal length primes.
02-11-2020, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You will probably be better served with more modern, designed-for-crop lenses like the DA 21/3.2 Limited or DA 15/4.0 Limited. Both produce beautiful images and are not too costly second hand.
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Until I bought the 15 I didnít really get it. Maybe not the sharpest but colors seem more true, images have life or punch to them, more contrast. Many other lenses produce images that look flat, the limited ,lens rendering is the opposite. And they are small in comparison to similar focal length primes.
Okay. If I (or the OP) had to choose between the DA 15 Limited and DA 21 Limited (assuming angle of view is no problem), which one would you recommend to buy?

02-12-2020, 12:57 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay. If I (or the OP) had to choose between the DA 15 Limited and DA 21 Limited (assuming angle of view is no problem), which one would you recommend to buy?
The difference between the angles of view is, of course, the big issue. It all depends whether you want a wide, or an ultra-wide.

BUT (because you asked) if I only had a crop camera, and could have only one, I would probably opt for the DA21, because the angle of view is nicely intuitive to shoot - very similar to the most used lens on earth, the iPhone. Its sharpness across the frame is slightly better, it is even more compact, and its hood is less irritating. Flare resistance is almost as good, and starbursts are every bit equal.

But there will plenty who will argue the opposite, and I won't be getting rid of my DA15. Ever.
02-12-2020, 01:32 AM - 4 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When I think wide it's the 15...... everyday is the 21. I sold both of mine when I went K1..... now looking to re-aquire them..... such is life when you get a KP. This time I will get silver ones....... so I can make believe it was all intentional.
02-12-2020, 01:37 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Pentaxian

Hi

I want to try wide angle photography and before I commit to an expensive lens my feelings are to buy an older perhaps manual focus lens to see if its for me.

So I'm looking for recommendations that don't cost the earth but are optically sound

I shoot with the K70 and the KP so any lens would need to be compatible.

Thanks in advance

Barry
Since you are shooting with both the K-70 and the KP, it would seem safe to assume you already have a general-purpose lens or lenses of a type that includes some wide angle and some degree of telephoto, and made to be used with APS-C format designs, as both your cameras are.

Therefore, addressing your interest in trying wide-angle photography, you'd need a focal length range of a greater angle of view than you now have. Some wide angle lenses are indeed quite expensive, easily more than the ones suggested for your intention. We will be interested to find out what you've decided to get, and about your experiences in exploring wide angle photography.
02-12-2020, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with @mikesbike

@bigbaz an idea of what lenses you already have would be really helpful.
02-12-2020, 02:12 AM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'm with @mikesbike

@bigbaz an idea of what lenses you already have would be really helpful.
55-300 DA ED PLM WR
50 DA
18-55 DA WR
28-300 Tamron Macro
120-400 Sigma
Tamron SP 90 macro
02-12-2020, 03:09 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

18-55 DA WR
Right. So you already have a wide angle lens. I guess what you are looking for is an ultra-wide then.

DA 15/4.0 Limited. Second hand. Won't cost the earth. Tiny. Awesome.
02-12-2020, 04:21 AM - 2 Likes   #45
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

pixie dust...