Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 124 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2020, 04:58 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Okay. If I (or the OP) had to choose between the DA 15 Limited and DA 21 Limited (assuming angle of view is no problem), which one would you recommend to buy?
I don’t have the 21 so I can’t really compare the two. I do have the 20-40 Limited zoom and use the wide end a lot, 20-23. If I had the 15 and 21, I would probably use the 21 more, but like Sandy said, the 15 isn’t going anywhere.

02-12-2020, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #47
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
They are actually the same on weather sealing. Here's a rundown of the two models: ...
It appears we're both right, though I'd note that the chart you posted said nothing about weather resistance. The Irix website ( 11mm - Irix lenses were designed with both the effort and experience, of not only engineers, but also photographers. Swiss precision and Korean innovation create ) says the firefly is protected against "accidental side splashes", but the blackstone is protected against both side and frontal "accidental splashes".
02-12-2020, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #48
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this material is probably known to all but perhaps I'm wrong

and perhaps this thread might be discovered by some one who is not familiar with the concept of " wide angle " camera lenses:

QuoteQuote:
Lens Types:Wide-Angle Lenses

Generally, any lens that provides a wide view of a scene and has a viewing angle of 60 degrees or more is called a wide-angle lens. One characteristic of these lenses is that they make close objects look very close and far-away objects look even farther away, creating a strong feeling of perspective. Also, their high depth of field makes them especially suited to pan-focus photography where all the elements of a scene are in focus, from near to far.
Lens Types:Wide-Angle Lenses | Digital Camera Know-Hows | Digital Camera | Digital AV | Support | Panasonic Global

QuoteQuote:
What Is a Wide Angle Lens (And When to Use One!)
by Gabor Holtzer

As a photographer, you have a vast selection of lens options to choose from. Wide angle lenses are a popular choice, but what is a wide angle lens used for? Is wide angle the best lens choice for you?

To tackle this question, let’s look at the different types of wide angle lenses available, and when to use them.

What Is a Wide Angle Lens?
First, we must clarify the meaning of wide angle.

The most common description is that a wide angle lens displays a wider field of view than our vision. However, this doesn’t translate directly to millimetres (mm) and degrees.

So, What mm is a wide angle lens? The popular definition is that a lens below, or equivalent to 35mm is considered a wide angle lens. This is roughly 65 degrees of diagonal field of view.

Does a Wide Angle Lens Zoom?
All lenses, including wide angle lenses, come in either a prime or a zoom version. A prime lens has a fixed short focal length, meaning you have to get closer to a subject by moving physically.

Primes are generally lighter, faster, cheaper and produce better image quality. The Canon 24mm f/2.8 STM is a great example.

A zoom lens has a variable focal length (zoom range). Some all-around “travel” zoom lens options cover wide, standard and telephoto focal lengths alike. Most zoom lenses are more specific, giving you one or two of these.

Zoom lenses very versatile, allowing to keep your gear to a minimum. But, generally, a zoom lens is heavier and more expensive, due to extra mechanisms and glass inside the lens. Kit lenses are exceptions, but they often come with compromises.

Their image quality is often surpassed by prime lenses. They are very much a jack of all trades, master of none. The Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 lens is an excellent example for a professional wide angle zoom lens.

How Wide Is a Wide Angle Lens?
We have to make a disclaimer here. The camera that you use influences how your lens will ‘look’. Smaller sensors crop out the centre portion of any lens, resulting in a tighter field of view.

For simplification, all focal lengths mentioned here are full-frame equivalent. If you want to know how these translate to your camera, divide them by 1.5 (APS-C) or 2 (M4/3). . . .

QuoteQuote:
The Wide Bunch: A Guide to Wide and Ultra-Wide-Angle Lenses
By Allan Weitz . . .

Wide-angle lenses often add depth and drama to landscapes, architectural photographs, still-life, and other genres of photography. When employed judiciously, these lenses make a great addition to the kits of sports, adventure, and wildlife photographers, and are also an important option for portraitists who wish to include an environmental context. For the casual photographer, they are indispensable when shooting groups, such as friends gathered around a table. The wide-angle view can often provide a very short focus distance, allowing the photographer to get close to the subject and still include background information. . . .

Pentax/Ricoh Wide-Angle Lenses
Pentax/Ricoh produces two lens systems, DA lenses for APS-C format Pentax cameras and FA lenses for full-frame (and APS-C) cameras. The FA series offers the smcP PENTAX FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited lens, with 46.5mm equivalency when used on APS-C cameras, a very fast maximum aperture, and a compact, durable build. The DA Limited series is the company's durable, high-end class of lenses made for digital SLR cameras, and new additions to this series include the DA 15mm f/4 ED AL Limited lens and the DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited . . ..
The Wide Bunch: A Guide to Wide and Ultra-Wide-Angle Lenses | B&H Explora

[ the article discusses specific lenses from different manufacturers ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-12-2020 at 05:24 AM.
02-12-2020, 05:18 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Okay. If I (or the OP) had to choose between the DA 15 Limited and DA 21 Limited (assuming angle of view is no problem), which one would you recommend to buy?
DA21. No contest.
Flickriver: Photoset 'SMC Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Set' by kh1234567890

As for the OP : A cheap option to go wider than their DA18-55WR would be a second-hand DA16-45. It is a better lens than the kit one but is bigger and does not have WR.
Flickriver: Photoset 'SMC Pentax DA 16-45mm f4 ED AL Set' by kh1234567890

A second-hand DA12-24 would go wider still but would cost more.
Flickriver: Photoset 'SMC Pentax DA 12-24mm f4 ED AL (IF) Set' by kh1234567890

02-12-2020, 05:20 AM - 2 Likes   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
It appears we're both right, though I'd note that the chart you posted said nothing about weather resistance. The Irix website ( 11mm - Irix lenses were designed with both the effort and experience, of not only engineers, but also photographers. Swiss precision and Korean innovation create ) says the firefly is protected against "accidental side splashes", but the blackstone is protected against both side and frontal "accidental splashes".
Yep, when I bought my Firefly, I went in circles trying to figure out if there was really a difference. I finally decided that whoever wrote their copy wasn't completely consistent, e.g. same thing with slightly different description. I think the bottom line is duck before you take the wave head on.
02-12-2020, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #51

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Midwest U.S.

I sent you a PM with a link the lens in question....
No message.
02-12-2020, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

I like the look and IQ of DA21, and looks like on APS-C it provides same FOV as 31mm on FF.

Not sure if that is considered Wide angle, more of a "widish" angle. If the OP wants to try Wide angle photography, I would go with 15mm or wider on APS-C. 16-45 is close enough, it's a fine lens

Last edited by ZeljkoS; 02-12-2020 at 09:30 AM.
02-12-2020, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #53
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigbaz Quote
No message.
sorry - I'll correct that shortly...
02-12-2020, 01:58 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZeljkoS Quote
Not sure if that is considered Wide angle, more of a "widish" angle. If the OP wants to try Wide angle photography, I would go with 15mm or wider on APS-C.
The DA21 is most certainly a wide angle lens (my somewhat arbitrary definition is a focal length less than the long side of a 3:2 aspect ratio sensor - 23.5mm for APS-C). The DA15 is an ultra-wide (focal length less than the short side of the sensor - 15.6mm for APS-C).

Once upon a time ultra-wide lenses were only used in rather niche applications. I wonder whether the popularity of the iPhone's wide angle of view has shifted our perceptions to consider that to be the new "normal", which of course it isn't.
02-12-2020, 02:20 PM - 3 Likes   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's a DA 14 f2.8 for sale on the PF Marketplace right now for $275.
02-12-2020, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #56
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
There's a DA 14 f2.8 for sale on the PF Marketplace right now for $275.
and the DA14 is a deadly lens.... love mine...
02-12-2020, 06:12 PM - 3 Likes   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
pixie dust...
And the Limiteds are of unique design in being exceptionally compact for easy portability, yet at the same time of very good to excellent optical quality, often even wide open, and exceptional in build quality.

The DA 15mm Limited would be a much wider angle than the OP's kit lens of 18mm, yet would be capable of providing superior image quality in a very small but superbly-built body that is easy to pack along. Just for one aspect, it has much lower linear distortion at its 15mm than does the kit lens at 18mm.

A fine zoom lens like the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM offers silent AF, an expanded wide angle capability, low linear distortion especially at 12mm and above, fine imaging, but in a necessarily much larger body, though not huge. In fact, of quite modest size for what it is. I have both of these wonderful lenses, and would not contemplate getting rid of either.

The DA 15mm f/4 LTD lives in the front accessory pocket of my holster-type camera case because it is so small, and is thus a ready addition to lenses like my DA 20-40mm Limited.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-12-2020 at 06:38 PM.
02-12-2020, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #58
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
The three design themes of the PENTAX Limited Lens series:

Essence - Enjoying the act of picture-taking itself

Sensibility - Depicting an ambiance undetectable by simple numerical values

Universality - Providing the joy of possessing a lens over many years
more information available here: PENTAX Limited Lens Special Site | RICOH IMAGING

of course, it's just advertising by Pentax

unless you believe the photographers who have one or more of them

3 in the FA: 31mm, 43mm, and 77mm

8 in the DA series: ( 4 SMC, 4 HD ) 15mm, 21mm, 35mm, 40mm and 70mm

and the " black sheep " of the group the zoom HD PENTAX-DA 20-40mmF2.8-4ED Limited DC WR
02-13-2020, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #59

Photos: Albums
I own the pentax DA15 which is cool because its compact and light and has nice color; it does have pretty bad field curvature which means stop down to F/8; but objects at F/4 on the edges that are closer to the lens are also in focus which can be used to the photographer's advantage once you understand it! The DA10-17mm fisheye is the other ultrawide I own; its a compact lightweight special purpose lens, but it can be really useful in some cases. The The PF can be removed in post processing....

If I were to buy a rectalinear ultrawide; the Sigma 10-20mm F/3.5 seems to be the best choice (I don't own it) available new for ~$330 or so. There isn't much used supply so prices are inflated for used Pentax ultrawides; the 12-24mm Pentax is overpriced. Pentax doesn't have a light weight rectilinear consumer grade UWA analogous to the Nikon 10-20mm F/4.5-F/5.6 There's also the Rokinon 10mm F/2.8 but its a little bit more expensive then the Sigma; ~$360 new.

Last edited by sheld; 02-13-2020 at 07:44 AM.
02-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
8 in the DA series: ( 4 SMC, 4 HD ) 15mm, 21mm, 35mm, 40mm and 70mm
Which of the 5 focal lengths you listed do you not like? :P