Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2020, 05:54 PM   #1
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Which lenses for the Pittsburgh Aviary?

I'll be headed to the Pittsburgh Aviary later this month and am wondering which lens(es) I should take with me. Just so I'm not lugging around everything, I'd like to maybe keep it to one on the camera and maybe one or two in a pocket/bag.

I've never been before, so I have no idea what to expect in terms of how close I'll be to the "action." I should have my DA 50-200 f/4-5.6 by then which seems like a good choice, especially for the AF if they don't want to stay still... (I'm working on my MF, but I'm still slow and still miss focus frequently.) I also have the F35-80 and F100-300 f/4-5.6 for my Pentax zooms.

The Tamron 18-300 obviously would cover everything I could want, though gets slow at the longer end and can hunt for focus on my K-7.

If I'm able to be pretty close, the A50 or Tokina 28 are nice, though as I said, I still struggle a bit on the MF. Beautiful shots when I nail it though.

I'll also probably have my pinhole body cap by then as well, but that's not going to work for the aviary. Though I might keep it on me for at the bar after.

These are the lenses I currently have, though never know what I might be able to find at the thrift stores and such between now and then.

02-10-2020, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was there last year. Very nice place. Some of the birds are really close. In many cases you are basically in the same enclosure and I feel they are used to people. Some of them are slow, others don't stop moving. I used my 70 200 2.8 and my 100 2.8 macro since it can be a bit dark. Be careful with temperature changes and condensation, some of the areas are quite warm. Have fun!
02-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was wondering about lighting. Sadly, I don't think I'll have a fast zoom by then unless I get crazy lucky while thrifting. Don't find much photo equipment around here often. Was running early to an event yesterday and stopped at a Goodwill to kill some time and found a half-decennt tripod in good condition and only 99 cents on sale. So, it does happen occasionally.
02-10-2020, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Birds are small, you will almost surely not need awide angle lens, but That F 100-300 should do everything you need, I love my copy. Set your AF to single point. For lighting, it is best to find a place where the light is not behind the birds, nor do you have to shoot into the light directly. Is is a good idea to watch the birds for a bit, determine which are very active, see where they cmmonly land, set uo your shot and wait. Also, see when feeding times are, you can ofepten see more birds when they come to feed

02-10-2020, 08:10 PM   #5
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Birds are small, you will almost surely not need awide angle lens, but That F 100-300 should do everything you need, I love my copy. Set your AF to single point. For lighting, it is best to find a place where the light is not behind the birds, nor do you have to shoot into the light directly. Is is a good idea to watch the birds for a bit, determine which are very active, see where they commonly land, set up your shot and wait. Also, see when feeding times are, you can often see more birds when they come to feed
Good to know, thank you. I might take the A50 or A28 as well for at the bar afterwards.

---------- Post added 2020-02-10 at 10:12 PM ----------

I've yet to try shooting birds as I didn't get my camera until winter was creeping in. Hoping to get some nice hummingbird shots come spring as I have a feeder right outside the window by my desk.
02-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My DA 50-200 (with a hood) is sitting at the post office for me to pick up after work. Would you recommend taking it over the F100-300 to the aviary? It doesn't have quite the reach, but will I need the extra reach inside the aviary? I believe it's a bit shorter (a lot shorter when not extended) than the F100-300 which might be easier to carry around. I'll be shooting either handheld or possibly with my cheap monopole as we'll be walking around with a group and I don't want to be holding everyone up trying to do tripod shots. While the F100-300 is F4.5-5.6, I believe I read that it stays F4.5 through 200mm, which makes it faster than the DA 50-200 as it's at F5.6 at 200.

I've no idea the lighting, but from what you mentioned, light can be an issue here. Sadly, I had hoped to have an external flash (which might not be useful at the aviary, no idea as I've no idea what the setup is like) before my trip, but the seller cancelled the auction with about an hour left due to the title stating it was a model 56 instead of 58 as all the pictures showed. So now I'm winning it at a slightly cheaper price but have a whole extra week of waiting for the auction to end. Hopefully no one is looking for a flash during this week so I can still win it.